Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Ratings for the all star game lowest EVER

Other than the slam dunk contest which was pretty weak, the All Star event was strong to me. The game was nice with a showcase of the of the world’s best. I’m sure a lot of people streamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The Kentucky Derby hit a 50 year low and people still fabricate whatever reason they want to make themselves right about this sport or that one. All sports viewership is down. Even fake sports. Wrestling ratings are shit compared to the past.

People just taking a near universal reality and bending it to suit their needs. Social justice....

Like anyone who traditionally watches the Kentucky Derby tuned out in advance out of fear of seeing a social justice message or too much diversity....

Certainly true, but ratings arent dropping at uniform rates across all sports. Some are down, some have plummeted, a few have remained stable.

So in ADDITION to any universal factors, there are obviously unique factors to each league.

This summer I had a middle aged lady uber driver who was born in Thailand tell me shed been watching the NFL since she came to America as a kid, but quit last year due to the excessive politics and soapboxing. I know plenty of people who dont **** with the NBA anymore bc of the woke nonsense.

Theres no single reason that explains a given league’s ratings... but to deny a tangible, obvious, well established factor as at least CONTRIBUTING... is also willful ignorance

I literally almost didn't happen. They put all the events on the same day just to say they had them. The dunk contest happened during halftime of the game! It had all the feel of a poorly-planned church activity event, so of course ratings were down.

Some people probably didn't even realize it happened since there was barely any time to run ads for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey6 View Post
    I literally almost didn't happen. They put all the events on the same day just to say they had them. The dunk contest happened during halftime of the game! It had all the feel of a poorly-planned church activity event, so of course ratings were down.

Some people probably didn't even realize it happened since there was barely any time to run ads for it.
    No doubt, but the obvious reality across all sports is people have so many more options for entertainment now.

Before 2010 or so, sports were really the only game in town. Unless you wanna watch some made-for-TV romcom on Lifetime. Obviously there might be a good sitcom here or there but even that wouldnt normally be up against a big sporting event, theyd spread out the time slots across the week.

Nowadays people can watch any show or any movie on demand, plus they watch video game streamers and a whole bunch of other shit that wasnt even a thing 10 years ago.

People just dont have the same reliance on sports for entertainment as they used to.

Things like the allstar game, or the Derby as kblaze mentioned, are things most of America has no rooting interest in whatsoever. It’s not a big playoff game for a major sport. Maybe 5-10-15 years ago people tune in simply bc it’s “the best thing on” but nowadays there’s simply better shit to watch. Like who tf WOULD watch the Kentucky Derby or a cringey allstar game? That stuff is dead.

College superstar

This game is lacking true competition that people want to see rather than superteams that only stans and gamers want to follow.

Banned

Sad times indeed. NBA TV ratings are down. Nobody uses phones anymore. When's the last time you saw one of these?

Also, people only get from place to place by walking. Just look at the vast dip in horseshoe production over the last couple of centuries.

College superstar

Maybe this is what artificial wins do to viewership afterall.

Superteaming has its negative effects looks like it.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Certainly true, but ratings arent dropping at uniform rates across all sports. Some are down, some have plummeted, a few have remained stable.

So in ADDITION to any universal factors, there are obviously unique factors to each league.

This summer I had a middle aged lady uber driver who was born in Thailand tell me shed been watching the NFL since she came to America as a kid, but quit last year due to the excessive politics and soapboxing. I know plenty of people who dont **** with the NBA anymore bc of the woke nonsense.

Theres no single reason that explains a given leagueÂ’s ratings... but to deny a tangible, obvious, well established factor as at least CONTRIBUTING... is also willful ignorance
    There are tons of people that stopped watching Baseball, Football, and MLB when these sports were integrated because they did not want to see blacks and whites playing together. They are in the minority and not a significant factor or you would see contracts get smaller which is the bottom line.

I rule the local playground ZionDunks's Avatar

NBA continues to lose the culture.

People continue to fail to see why and be apologists

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    There are tons of people that stopped watching Baseball, Football, and MLB when these sports were integrated because they did not want to see blacks and whites playing together. They are in the minority and not a significant factor or you would see contracts get smaller which is the bottom line.

Baseball was integrated in 1945.

Rumor has it millions of Americans changed the channel immediately.

Local High School Star

Baseball was integrated in 1945.

Rumor has it millions of Americans changed the channel immediately.
    No, In 1945 most sporting events were cancelled we were in the middle of WORLD WAR II. The US was too busy dropping a nuclear bomb on Japan!
    Integration started in 1947, but the Boston Red Socks refused to integrate until 1960. This is only 76 years ago and yes millions of people were pissed!

Decent playground baller

The All Star game has become unwatchable for anyone not six years old. There’s more defense being played in the pregame layup line. It used to be guys ran up and down the court and jacked up 3s but now they’re throwing up 40 footers.

I mean the game would be more interesting if guys just shot the ball from half court and stopped wasting everyone’s time by crossing half court.

It’s not a surprise no one turned in to watch that trash. It would be appalling to think anyone would watch it.

Wasn't gonna live up to last year's. That had all the drama and tension following a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by paksat View Post
    “Sunday’s NBA All-Star Game, which included the Dunk Contest at halftime, averaged a combined 3.1 rating and 5.94 million viewers across TNT and TBS — down 24% in ratings and 18% in viewership from last year (4.1, 7.28M) and the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the game.”

But but but the NBA is growing someone around here said

But but but so much skill that people don't even wanna watch it

But but but plumbers and mailmen were more entertaining to watch apparently

Not looking good for the NBA at all, I guess diversity doesn't attract viewers or something. I'm sure it's not helping anyway, BUT the cold hard truth is basketball in 2021 sucks and the numbers show it. All star weekend was can't miss in the early 2000's

Bring on the excuses
    I didn't watch the game on TNT or TBS. Pretty sure there are millions of people like me that did the same thing.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Theres no single reason that explains a given league’s ratings... but to deny a tangible, obvious, well established factor as at least CONTRIBUTING... is also willful ignorance

Nba finals lowest rated ever. World Series? Lowest ever. Super Bowl? Lowest ever. Masters? Lowest since 1957. Kentucky derby? Lowest ever. Daytona 500? Lowest ever. US open? Lowest ever. Wwf raw? Lowest ever. English premier league? Down big here and in Europe. Champions league? 6 year low. Near 10 year low. Not all time because soccer is more popular here than it used to be. But lowest since the popularity spiked. College football final game? Lowest ever...including the bcs years. The French top soccer league damn near went bankrupt off losing a tv rights deal they couldn’t keep their end up on.

The “plenty” of people you know don’t matter a speck just like the people I know who started supporting leagues during the protests. Most of these are at their all time lows by a greater percentage than those people could possibly represent...and in countries that don’t care about American social justice coverage.

As I said....it’s just taking a virtually universal truth....and trying to make it mean something politically when it doesn’t. Trying to pull a point out of thin air to look right when it’s obvious....people aren’t watching sports during this shit. The product is worse. The atmosphere. Everything. And on top of streaming which has utterly destroyed all tv ratings?

Keep talking up go woke go broke. You’ll notice if you look close...it’s own a tv station go broke.

I have like 700 channels and my tv only switches from the Firestick for major live sports. If you got rid of the old people and few young women still trying to dvr the shitty network dramas they love tv would be over.

It might be over anyway in 20 years if not for live sports. There isn’t a single show I watch that isn’t on a streaming platform other than 2 travel Chanel shows I record since I travel so much and like trying nice restaurants I find out about on them.

If I didn’t have a little file in my phone of places to have dinner in whatever city....I might go months without watching tv traditionally.

Ratings as a concept might as well die. You don’t really know who is watching what anymore. All you know is humans in general aren’t watching it on live tv. Shows that got 17 million people 3 years ago are leading the night with 6.

Its the death of a medium. Period. People just wanna be right about their beliefs so bad they ignore the obvious. You might as well be in 1920 talking up the decline in horse usage as a reaction to the politics of the day while ignoring cars.

TV as it used to be won’t exist for anything but live sports in our lifetime and the recent streaming boom brought on by the Netflix/Disney plus/HBO Mac/peacock/paramount plus/Hulu/Amazon battle going to the next level due to the pandemic is what’s gonna kill it.

Once live sports moves in full to a streaming platform that doesn’t have to charge 70 dollar for it like Hulu cable is over. No political standpoint by any league or network can stop it.