Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Default Where is the style of the NBA going?

Even Katie Nolan was on a video today and they were asking if they should change the rules so that there's less 3 pointers taken. Just imagine if the 3 point trend just gets even worse. Maybe what we need is a defensive surge. Maybe that should be the next step in the evolution of the game.

Maybe they should allow you to stay in the key. They need to give defenders more help. It would be great to see more blocks and steals. Also, get rid of the double step back move. Stop rewarding players for jumping into others to draw fouls.

Offensive players have offensive privilege. Defenders need privilege too. Ultimately, I don't think ticky tack fouls should be called. Unless it affected the offensive players shot, there shouldn't be a foul called.

Banned

Default Re: Where is the style of the NBA going?

The other day the Nuggets took a 3 during a 4-on-1 fast break situation.
    The NBA is going towards a style where teams settle for 3s during a 5-on-1 fast break situation.

There is no settling for threes. Now it's settling for twos. Shooting has evolved. Emphasizing defense has had its problems in the past. I think the league will adapt to the wide open style and there will be more evolution.

Saw a basketball once

There's nothing to be fixed. it's just that, 3pt is the current trend and we don't know what is next to evolve.

I imagine more and more players will be shooting 3s better and at longer range. I dont think we have plateaud yet.

Decent college freshman

Eliminate the 3-point shot until the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter and into OT.

Good solution.

I rule the local playground ZionDunks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post
    Even Katie Nolan was on a video today and they were asking if they should change the rules so that there's less 3 pointers taken. Just imagine if the 3 point trend just gets even worse. Maybe what we need is a defensive surge. Maybe that should be the next step in the evolution of the game.

Maybe they should allow you to stay in the key. They need to give defenders more help. It would be great to see more blocks and steals. Also, get rid of the double step back move. Stop rewarding players for jumping into others to draw fouls.

Offensive players have offensive privilege. Defenders need privilege too. Ultimately, I don't think ticky tack fouls should be called. Unless it affected the offensive players shot, there shouldn't be a foul called.
    Lol Katie Nolan.

When the NBA was culturally dominant, Ahmad Rashad and people who we all liked covered the game.

Now ESPN trots out Katie Nolan, who no one gives a fk about, to talk hoops, because ESPN’s head lib owner saw big things in her and there’s nothing else for her to do.

I usually hit open layups

This isn’t a thread knocking current nba but why are there so many comments hating on the modern game? I don’t see a need to change anything. Let the game keep evolving. Defense will catch up some but it should never go back to a defense first mentality. Fans want handles fans want threes and running. Game is too fun right now.
    Last edited by Gimmedarock; 03-11-2021 at 03:31 PM.

It's rec league basketball now. Layups/dunks or 3s and that's about it. I think it would benefit the game greatly by taking away the 3 pt line again....that will never happen though. Maybe they could do something less drastic as you say about defensive privilege

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post

Sometimes the best way foward is actually going backwards. The way the game is played now is fine. Just bring back real physical defense on the perimeter. This would fix the 3 point issue because now it will be way harder to get good looks and now it will be just as hard to get a look on the perimeter as it is in the paint. Right now it's like night and day. Your still allowed holding, handchecking, banging and contesting in the offensive players space in the paint but you can't do any of that on the perimeter. Allow the same defense on the perimeter and watch gaurds shooting efficiency and the value of jacking a shit ton of threes go down.

Shit, defenders used to be allowed to pick up full court and ride, handcheck and bump the offensive player the full 90 feet. Hows dame or steph gonna pull up wide open from 35 feet when the defender is attached to his hip from jump? You can't defend like that anymore. They don't even try. You'd be fouled out before the first quarter is over.

It be the best of both worlds. You'd still have alot more threes than the archaic 90's but you have significantly less threes than there are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Sometimes the best way foward is actually going backwards. The way the game is played now is fine. Just bring back real physical defense on the perimeter. This would fix the 3 point issue because now it will be way harder to get good looks and now it will be just as hard to get a look on the perimeter as it is in the paint. Right now it's like night and day. Your still allowed holding, handchecking, banging and contesting in the offensive players space in the paint but you can't do any of that on the perimeter. Allow the same defense on the perimeter and watch gaurds shooting efficiency and the value of jacking a shit ton of threes go down.

Shit, defenders used to be allowed to pick up full court and ride, handcheck and bump the offensive player the full 90 feet. Hows dame or steph gonna pull up wide open from 35 feet when the defender is attached to his hip from jump? You can't defend like that anymore. They don't even try. You'd be fouled out before the first quarter is over.

It be the best of both worlds. You'd still have alot more threes than the archaic 90's but you have significantly less threes than there are now.
    That's euro style I'm guessing.

Decent college freshman

The modern era is perfect.

The NBA of the 90s and early 2000s was definitely not as entertaining.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    That's euro style I'm guessing.
    I don't know. Never really watched much Euro league games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    I don't know. Never really watched much Euro league games.
    yeah, it's pretty much that.

Fans want to see skill, not plodding defenders standing motionless in the paint waiting for the ball to come to them.