Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Even if Lebron is the most dominant player, does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post
    I’m not sure you understand what I’m asking. Let’s say you think Lebron is the most dominant player ever. Let’s say you think he carries teams and is unbelievable. That doesn’t change the fact that he lost against Dallas. It doesn’t change that he lost against San Antonio by a record margin, even with Chris Bosh and Wade. It doesn’t change the fact that even though he came back from 3-1 against Golden State, he still lost 3 out of 4 series. He lost 4-1 in 2017, even with Irving and Love.

So what I’m saying is how is it relevant whether he’s the goat, if he doesn’t get you the ultimate goal very efficiently? Now I know some of you are going to bring up Jordan losing in the playoffs or you might say based on my logic, Jordan isn’t the goat cuz he didn’t win the most.

But you get what I’m saying. Lebron has won 4 rings. That’s a lot compared to many players, but when you consider how long he’s played, the super teams he’s been on, and how many finals he has lost, the degree to which he’s lost, the fact 2 were game 7s, it doesn’t seem like the prettiest path. To me, winning 6 out of your first 13 seasons and going 6-0 in the Finals while playing baseball in the midst of everything is better than going 4-6 in your first 17 seasons and only playing one sport.

To me, Jordan had a perfect career. A clean 6 for 6, 10 scoring titles, no disappointments, and he played baseball too. He won more with less effort. He never lost. Even if Lebron is the most dominant player ever, what good is that if you can’t just go 6 for 6 and you need super teams?
    No one expected MJ to surpass anything when he got into the league. Contrary to LeBron, who was called the chosen one, King James before even entering the league. They did not play under the same media pressure. LeBron got in the league with huge expectations. Every loss was documented, criticized. I don't believe there is an athlete who faced what LeBron had to go through and continues to go through. today.

After that Dallas loss many would have retired with the hate getting to their heads. Give the man some credit for striving under adversity. He got knocked down many times, got back up only to swing, and finally win like a legend supposed to.

Ali lost but in the eyes of many he is the GREATEST

Floyd never lost but people are having a hard time putting him in the TOP 3 all time boxers ever. Having a perfect nba final record doesn't mean shit. Especially we know the competition you have faced was not as elite as people may think.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Cool Re: Even if Lebron is the most dominant player, does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld View Post
    No one expected MJ to surpass anything when he got into the league. Contrary to LeBron, who was called the chosen one, King James before even entering the league. They did not play under the same media pressure. LeBron got in the league with huge expectations. Every loss was documented, criticized. I don't believe there is an athlete who faced what LeBron had to go through and continues to go through. today.

After that Dallas loss many would have retired with the hate getting to their heads. Give the man some credit for striving under adversity. He got knocked down many times, got back up only to swing, and finally win like a legend supposed to.

Ali lost but in the eyes of many he is the GREATEST

Floyd never lost but people are having a hard time putting him in the TOP 3 all time boxers ever. Having a perfect nba final record doesn't mean shit. Especially we know the competition you have faced was not as elite as people may think.

It isn't about not losing

It's about winning 6 as the best player, or 2-3 more than anyone in 3-pointer/modern history..

As a statistical testament to Jordan's greatness, he achieved the goat production rate (PER, BPM, WS/48, VORP), while achieving a goat brand of ball and team offense.. So should we be surprised he achieved the goat team ceiling too (6/6)?

The highest individual ceiling (scoring champ and top 5 DPOY from 88-98') achieved the goat team ceiling (6/6) of the modern era/3-pointer basketball (or post ABA/NBA merger)

MJ did all this with a true 2nd option that had a sub-par statistical peak and averaged far less than MJ in every Playoffs, whereas every other top 10 player had elite 1st options, equal-scoring partners and FMVP's as sidekicks.

No comparison... 2nd options like Pippen < elite 1st options
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-16-2021 at 04:36 AM.

To me, Jordan had a perfect career. A clean 6 for 6, 10 scoring titles, no disappointments, and he played baseball too. He won more with less effort. He never lost.
    No disappointments!?

You do not sound like you were a Jordan fan at the time.

A bit of backstory - I was a hardcore Michael Jordan fan from 1988 to 2002 and I've been the same way with LeBron James from about 2006 to now.

1989 and 1990 were not fun years for Jordan fans. But he was young. It was only a matter of time.

1995 was actually traumatic.

Sure, we saw MJ lose before, but not as a champion, and not with that kind of build up and anticipation with everyone waiting for his return and everyone predicting that the Bulls were going to instantly win the title again. Of course we thought they were going to win because it's Michael Jordan. It was supposed to be the most epic and triumphant comeback of all time.

Losing in 1995 was a huge, huge letdown. It didn't feel like being a fan of a player in the middle of an undefeated run. It felt like losing.

All of those arguments that exist today about why 1995 didn't matter and all of the excuses for his poor play came from guys like me to mask our pain.

The sting of 1995 and 2011 felt similar to me, though I was more confident about LeBron's future in 2011 than I was about the future of 32 year old Jordan in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Who is Pip.. Pip sucked and inferior help to what everyone else had

Pippen was a true 2nd option with low statistical peak and averaged far less than MJ in every Playoffs, whereas every other top 10 player had elite 1st options, equal-scoring partners and FMVP's as sidekicks.

No comparison... 2nd options like Pippen < elite 1st options
    1-9

I rule the local playground ZionDunks's Avatar

Will be awesome when Lebron topics don’t flood page one. Bad for the league and the site

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    No disappointments!?

You do not sound like you were a Jordan fan at the time.

A bit of backstory - I was a hardcore Michael Jordan fan from 1988 to 2002 and I've been the same way with LeBron James from about 2006 to now.

1989 and 1990 were not fun years for Jordan fans. But he was young. It was only a matter of time.

1995 was actually traumatic.

Sure, we saw MJ lose before, but not as a champion, and not with that kind of build up and anticipation with everyone waiting for his return and everyone predicting that the Bulls were going to instantly win the title again. Of course we thought they were going to win because it's Michael Jordan. It was supposed to be the most epic and triumphant comeback of all time.

Losing in 1995 was a huge, huge letdown. It didn't feel like being a fan of a player in the middle of an undefeated run. It felt like losing.

All of those arguments that exist today about why 1995 didn't matter and all of the excuses for his poor play came from guys like me to mask our pain.

The sting of 1995 and 2011 felt similar to me, though I was more confident about LeBron's future in 2011 than I was about the future of 32 year old Jordan in 1995.

I wasn't a Jordan fan at the time. I wish I was. I was very little and didn't understand the significance of Mike. I wasn't able to watch every game. But once he came to the Wizards, I had league pass and made sure to watch him as much as possible. Finally got to see him play a game in person and he scored 23 points against the Warriors.

I don't understand how you can knock Jordan for losing in 95. He was playing baseball for 2 years. When you play baseball, you are in a different kind of shape than when you play basketball. Lebron never played more than one sport professionally. Jordan is ambitious. He even hit a home run to end his baseball career. Jordan was better than most people say. He proved that whatever he did, he set his mind to it.

You have to give him a pass because he was playing baseball. What happened after that? He won 3 straight. And then the owner prevented him from winning more. Also, 95 wasn't the NBA Finals.

LeBron dominates when it comes to occupying rent free brains.

Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    LeBron dominates when it comes to occupying rent free brains.

I wouldn't give Lebron all the credit. It's people like you that occupy us.

I wouldn't give Lebron all the credit. It's people like you that occupy us.
    Did you just get your adderall script filled again, making you excited as ever?