Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Iverson vs Lillard - who is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    not irrelevant. There's a place for Curry because he can shoot, has a high BB IQ and isn't a black hole. AI has nothing you want in today's game. Not that he had anything I wanted when he played
    You sound like the guy who internally didn’t like the popular kids in school

“Why are they special? My grades trump theirs. I’m going to be rich one day and can’t wait to get them back”

Local High School Star

Iverson. Lillard is the worst ‘superstar’ of the era. Terrible in the playoffs, terrible on defense.

AI would be more ideal in the playoffs.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24 View Post
    iverson took his team to the finals with an inept offense. so i can see why you think that. still, he did it in a depleted conference & his teams defense was the main factor. for reference check the sixers defensive rating as opposed to their offensive rating. xiao is correct that lillard is more efficient. along with his range & clutch-ability is why he gets my vote.
    Where’s this efficiency in the playoffs though and what’s the point of efficiency if it doesn’t translate to wins? Iverson took a win off of the best of the Lakers 3peat teams. And someone had to score the points for those Sixers teams. And he was no slouch on D either, although limited by his size.

Lillard has always played with another scoring threat on the team through CJ or Aldridge. Maybe he’s a better regular season floor raiser but I wouldn’t wanna waste the spot of a number option and max slot on him if I could choose other real superstars.

If you want threes go with Lillard, if you want twos it's hard to not pick Iversons energy.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk View Post
    I think Lillard is better, but I would like to see Iverson in the current league.
    Dude would get 20fts a game

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

both have more iconic playoff moments than stephen curry

The league now is all about offense and high-scoring games. Iverson wasn’t terribly efficient but he was an all-time offensive player. In this league, he’d kill it.

If I’m paying my money to see a game, I’d rather watch Iverson drive and finish at the rim than watch Lillard shoot from halfcourt.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by turnaroundJ View Post
    Where’s this efficiency in the playoffs though and what’s the point of efficiency if it doesn’t translate to wins? Iverson took a win off of the best of the Lakers 3peat teams. And someone had to score the points for those Sixers teams. And he was no slouch on D either, although limited by his size.

Lillard has always played with another scoring threat on the team through CJ or Aldridge. Maybe he’s a better regular season floor raiser but I wouldn’t wanna waste the spot of a number option and max slot on him if I could choose other real superstars.
    that's the thing. lillard IS more efficient in the playoffs. he shoots better from 2, 3 & the freethrow line. in the playoffs overall lillard has a better true shooting & effective field goal percent. also not sure what you mean by "winning". grabbing a game off la in the finals was impressive & one of the best individual performances ever. but ai didnt win that series. he nor lillard has ever won a championship. we can't fault dame for playing in a tougher western conference as opposed to iverson who played in the weak east.

your point about defense is a good one. even though he was mostly a net negative & never had much impact, iverson led the league in steals 3 times. lillard never has. admittedly, the arguments for iverson are solid and i might even waver picking dame.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He shot 39% in the playoffs with Denver and was a first round sweep.

You just ignore reality.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku View Post
    Dame is overrated too bro. I like his theatrics and can admit he's clutcher than my favorite players on last shots... but yea... he's not too efficient in the playoffs either and obviously plays little defense. His main value comes in his ability to make clutch shots. I watched him the other week get doubled up on by Chef and hit the dagger game winner plus take a game winning charge. That doesn't show up in ORTG. I can't remember Iverson ever being a clutch shooter though. He just had mass appeal because of how fancy his game looked, plus the stark black sixer jerseys too... the sleeve... the gangsterism... he sold. And the league made money.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    More efficient
    You don't like Iverson so obvi post

Iverson is better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    You don't like Iverson so obvi post

Iverson is better.
    Nope. Even before analytics I didn't think much of guys shooting under 40%, not defending with low BB IQ's. Way ahead of my time. He's also the one that first got away with palming the ball. Not much to like there. He played with a lot of heart.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

Lillard nice for his era of inflated little guard play (only a dumbass would dispute that by now) but dude legit useless without ball and super inconsistent in playoffs despite playing in by far the easiest era ever for little guards and low skilled freak wings to play in

Some dumbass here really trying to argue he'd be taking the same dumb shots in triple coverage today lol the way teams play now (due to rule changes, teams realizing 3s can be good as a primary weapon, and other factors) AI is almost never seeing that kind of defense again, just like how in Denver being past his physical prime he was a lot more efficient than in Philly. Put this man in Portland in today's soft ass NBA with CJ as his running mate and he'd feast way more today

Now AI has his issues of his own like being even smaller (better athlete though, ridiculous athlete for that matter) but I can't see him do worse today, people really underrate his off ball ability and with the emphasis on the 3 ball today he should surely be more respectable at it today. I definitely don't think he'd be great at it but with his speed defenses have bigger issues to deal with anyway. He's not seeing Shaq or Duncan down there anymore, today's rim protection is a joke

Easy choice
    Last edited by Mr.GOAT2408; 03-20-2021 at 09:25 PM.