Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Default Re: Should China be held accountable for the Covid19???

What is your case for "holding China accountable" and what exactly would that entail?

The media and politicians in the US should be held accountable.

And by accountable I mean, at the very least, jailed.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    No.

All the dipshits who are scared of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate should be. They are the problem.
    what about the 60% that suffer long term ...... loss of smell and taste, fatigue etc. etc.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    He's a douchebag
    Yep, I'm a douchebag. A douchebag who is still waiting patiently for someone to post a link to a credible source that verifies the "99.9 percent survival rate" statistic. Ad Hominen

How about you stop attacking me personally and address the issue in question. Is there a credible source that shows that that Covid-19 has a 99.9% survival rate? I've spent a couple of hours searching online, but couldn't find anything. Maybe some of you are smarter than me, and can find this elusive evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    Yep, I'm a douchebag. A douchebag who is still waiting patiently for someone to post a link to a credible source that verifies the "99.9 percent survival rate" statistic. Ad Hominen

How about you stop attacking me personally and address the issue in question. Is there a credible source that shows that that Covid-19 has a 99.9% survival rate? I've spent a couple of hours searching online, but couldn't find anything. Maybe some of you are smarter than me, and can find this elusive evidence.
    I said he, BigKobeFan. Not you.

Come on, man!

I said he, BigKobeFan. Not you.

Come on, man!
    You quoted me in your reply so I though that you meant me and I quite naturally got defensive. But if you didn't mean me... man hug, let's go get some wings. I'll buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    It's the actual numbers from the CDC

Yep, I'm a douchebag. Is there a credible source that shows that that Covid-19 has a 99.9% survival rate? I've spent a couple of hours searching online, but couldn't find anything. Maybe some of you are smarter than me, and can find this elusive evidence.
    He posted it above, but the survival rate declines with age. For example, a person who is 35 years old has a higher survival rate than a 112 year old.

Latest estimate from Dr. Ionnidis (top data scientist in the world, possibly of all time) is a global survival rate of 99.85%. Feel free to read the study: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13554

What's most important about the IFR is this: median age of death above average life expectancy.

This means that, on average, people who died with Covid-19 lived longer than people who died without it.

What's most important about all this, as I've stated earlier, is the response.

We've used 12+ months of social distancing / business restrictions, school closures, mask mandates, and travel bans. How many infections have each of those prevented? What have been the costs?

edit: CDC has updated their IFR. They've actually increased their estimated IFR every time they've updated it since May last year. It's pretty weird that the IFR continues to increase though treatments are supposedly getting better. Manny's chart is from the IFR estimate from Sept. Here are the new numbers:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...five-scenarios

0-17 years old: 99.998%
    18-49 years old: 99.95%
    50-64 years old: 99.4%
    65+ years old: 91%

Again, on average, people who died with Covid-19 lived longer than people who died without it. When was the last pandemic virus that fit this description? Hmm.
    Last edited by Cleverness; 04-08-2021 at 10:12 PM.

You quoted me in your reply so I though that you meant me and I quite naturally got defensive. But if you didn't mean me... man hug, let's go get some wings. I'll buy.

Btw no hugs for now, for covid is still here.

Btw no hugs for now, for covid is still here.
    Chicken wing bump. Wings are still on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    He posted it above, but the survival rate declines with age. For example, a person who is 35 years old has a higher survival rate than a 112 year old.

Latest estimate from Dr. Ionnidis (top data scientist in the world, possibly of all time) is a global survival rate of 99.85%. Feel free to read the study: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/eci.13554

What's most important about the IFR is this: median age of death above average life expectancy.

This means that, on average, people who died with Covid-19 lived longer than people who died without it.

What's most important about all this, as I've stated earlier, is the response.

We've used 12+ months of social distancing / business restrictions, school closures, mask mandates, and travel bans. How many infections have each of those prevented? What have been the costs?

edit: CDC has updated their IFR. They've actually increased their estimated IFR every time they've updated it since May last year. It's pretty weird that the IFR continues to increase though treatments are supposedly getting better. Manny's chart is from the IFR estimate from Sept. Here are the new numbers:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...five-scenarios

0-17 years old: 99.998%
    18-49 years old: 99.95%
    50-64 years old: 99.4%
    65+ years old: 91%

Again, on average, people who died with Covid-19 lived longer than people who died without it. When was the last pandemic virus that fit this description? Hmm.
    Well damn. That's impressive. The author is a well-known scientist, his article appears to have plenty of caveats and references that make it seem really legit. Like "Most of the evidence (78-100%) comes from Europe or the Americas." which leads you to wonder what's happening in the rest of the world. But I understand that ISH posters only care about what it happening in the USA, and maybe Canada.

Here's the numbers that matter. He reports "Global infection fatality rate is approximately 0.15% with 1.5-2.0 billion infections as of February 2021. " That's 98.5% surviving, and if you want round that up to 99% I won't argue with you. So there we are. 99% survival rate for Covid-19 in the US and Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    It's the actual numbers from the CDC

I shared it on facebook. and they labelled it as false.

Well damn. That's impressive. The author is a well-known scientist, his article appears to have plenty of caveats and references that make it seem really legit. Like "Most of the evidence (78-100%) comes from Europe or the Americas." which leads you to wonder what's happening in the rest of the world. But I understand that ISH posters only care about what it happening in the USA, and maybe Canada.

Here's the numbers that matter. He reports "Global infection fatality rate is approximately 0.15% with 1.5-2.0 billion infections as of February 2021. " That's 98.5% surviving, and if you want round that up to 99% I won't argue with you. So there we are. 99% survival rate for Covid-19 in the US and Europe.
    100% - 0.15% = 99.85%, rounded up is 99.9%, but again, the most important stat is that the median age of death is above average life expectancy. I am unaware of any previous pandemic virus with a median age of death above average life expectancy.

And most importantly overall, we've used 12+ months of social distancing / business restrictions, school closures, mask mandates, and travel bans. How many infections have each of those prevented? What have been the costs? Been asking that question on here since the start.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

what goes around , comes around --- stay neutral

It’s been over a year since covid hit the scene and people still only worry about themselves. You’d think this pandemic would make people more selfless. Guess not. I care less about how covid would effect me more than the person who has pre existing medical conditions. If protecting myself means I can potentially protect them? Then that is the ultimate win here. F*ck them survival % numbers. They only help a healthy person feel secure about themselves not dying.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB View Post
    It’s been over a year since covid hit the scene and people still only worry about themselves. You’d think this pandemic would make people more selfless. Guess not. I care less about how covid would effect me more than the person who has pre existing medical conditions. If protecting myself means I can potentially protect them? Then that is the ultimate win here. F*ck them survival % numbers. They only help a healthy person feel secure about themselves not dying.
    That's too many layers of brain power my friend

Some are still struggling with shapes and colors. Reading Rainbow and Bill Nye is the next honors course

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB View Post
    Literally sacrificed a year of my life to "protect people" by wearing a mask a compliang with these rules

The vaccine is hear idgaf anymore, everything better be open up by June (no more lockdowns, no more masks)