Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Jamal Mashburn - Scotties defense was overrated, I'm cutting him for TMac/Nique

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ1UdNcMEgi/

poor babyboi Scottie. Most legends know he was truly just an Iguodala level player (without the clutch gene)

couldnt even defend his wife from a trap rapper

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Jamal Mashburn - Scotties defense was overrated, I'm cutting him for TMac/Nique

overrated as was Dominique

Default Re: Jamal Mashburn - Scotties defense was overrated, I'm cutting him for TMac/Nique

Pippen was a great defender, but I'd take T-Mac & Nique's offense any day of the week.

College superstar

Wasn't 'Nique voted most overrated by his peers in a poll during the 80's?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I've always thought in a different setting (like if he stayed in TO) McGrady would have been Pippen in every way that mattered on the court. I'm not as sure that Pippen could have been that level of scorer but had he played more of his career as the first option he would most likely have been more of a scorer. The main difference was McGrady's three point shooting ability but that has a lot to do with the different approach to the game of their two generations. It's not like Pip was Ben Simmons, he could shoot well enough from the areas that players of his day took most of their shots from and was a respectable distance shooter by that era's standards.

Pippen vs. Nique is a tough choice because their circumstances were so different. Like McGrady Nique was inarguably the better scorer, Pippen was of course far better defensively and had greater versatility with his ability to run an offense like a point guard. Equal as rebounders, both highly athletic wings that could grab a lot of boards when they felt like it but had other duties so it wasn't the focus.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip View Post
    I wanna say twice in the SI player poll. He was also voted the worst defender but I think they worded it “Least interested in D”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I wanna say twice in the SI player poll. He was also voted the worst defender but I think they worded it “Least interested in D”.
    sounds like they're hating on him either way if we go by peer talk, Kobe is damn near a top 3 player of all time

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip View Post
    Nique looks to be a melo type player inefficient high volume with bad defense. Tmac otoh was like a tall Kobe. He's def better than Pippen.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    sounds like they're hating on him either way if we go by peer talk, Kobe is damn near a top 3 player of all time
    Another guy players speak highly of is Brandon Roy. I remember Kobe saying he's the toughest guy to guard.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Pippen was a great defender.

There's no defense that makes up for 16 ppg on 40%, which was Pippen's standard - if Paul George had those numbers, no one would be saying "but he plays great defense!!"... He would simply get destroyed for it - they would take his star status away and label him a defensive role player, since that's what spotty-scoring defenders are.

However, people who liked the Bulls simply have a soft spot for Pippen because he was there for the 6 rings.. But 2nd options don't get credit for rings like a 1st option, which is why Pippen is so overrated.

Fortunately, we will continue to hear people say Pippen wasn't good because his recent comments on Phil have removed people's "6 ring" bias, and made people look at Pippen more objectively - once they do that, they invariably realize that he wasn't that good - he simply never played that great in the playoffs.. Ever.,. Not a single moment.. Not a single big shot.. Not a single dominant series.. Never a 1b... Never got withing 10 point of MJ in any series (unprecedented).. A 100% coattailer..

And yeah, Mashburn completely destroyed him - everyone destroyed Pippen because his defense was vastly overrated... Pippen has no signature series where he locked someone down as the primary defender - Jordan has tons (most SG's shot 40% against MJ) - Pippen has none.
    Last edited by 3ba11; 07-04-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    there's no defense that makes up for 16 ppg on 40%, which was pippen's standard - if paul george had those numbers, no one would be saying "but he plays great defense!!"... He would simply get destroyed for it - they would take his star status away and label him a defensive role player, since that's what spotty-scoring defenders are.

However, people who liked the bulls simply have a soft spot for pippen because he was there for the 6 rings.. But 2nd options don't get credit for rings like a 1st option, which is why pippen is so overrated.

Fortunately, we will continue to hear people say pippen wasn't good because his recent comments on phil have removed people's "6 ring" bias, and made people look at pippen more objectively - once they do that, they invariably realize that he wasn't that good - he simply never played that great in the playoffs.. Ever.,. Not a single moment.. Not a single big shot.. Not a single dominant series.. A 100% coattailer..

And yeah, mashburn completely destroyed him - everyone destroyed pippen because his defense was vastly overrated... Pippen has no signature series where he locked someone down as the primary defender - jordan has tons (most sg's shot 40% against mj) - pippen has none.
    but but but... Pippen scored 22 ppgz without jordan. Teh best scorer in the league...jordan 1-9 yay lets go home boys

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    but but but... Pippen scored 22 ppgz without jordan. Teh best scorer in the league...jordan 1-9 yay lets go home boys

22 ppg is a top 1000 peak that bums like Larry Hughes matched.

otoh, the best 2nd options were actually elite 1st options that peaked at 30 ppg or more, like Kobe, Curry, Wade, Kareem, AD, Shaq, etc.

Ultimately, everyone is a "Pippen" because everyone can get 15-22 ppg on poor efficiency... Robert Horry averaged 18/10 on 55% in the 95' Finals, or JR Smith averaged 18/8 on 58% in the 15' ECF - there's hundreds of examples like this, maybe thousands, so any tom, dick and harry can be Pippen.

And they don't need to be clutch because Pippen was the worst clutch player of all-time - literally... Not a single moment.. Not a single big shot.. Not a single dominant series.. Never a 1b... Never got within 10 ppg of MJ in any series (unprecedented).. A 100% coattailer.... Jordan won 6 rings with peak Robert Horry or Larry Hughes.

22 ppg is a top 1000 peak that bums like Larry Hughes matched.

otoh, the best 2nd options were actually elite 1st options that peaked at 30 ppg or more, like Kobe, Curry, Wade, Kareem, AD, Shaq, etc.

Ultimately, everyone is a "Pippen" because everyone can get 15-22 ppg on poor efficiency... Robert Horry averaged 18/10 on 55% in the 95' Finals, or JR Smith averaged 18/8 on 58% in the 15' ECF - there's hundreds of examples like this, maybe thousands, so any tom, dick and harry can be Pippen.

And they don't need to be clutch because Pippen was the worst clutch player of all-time - literally... Not a single moment.. Not a single big shot.. Not a single dominant series.. Never a 1b... Never got within 10 ppg of MJ in any series (unprecedented).. A 100% coattailer.... Jordan won 6 rings with peak Robert Horry or Larry Hughes.
    Prime Pippu or prime Iggy?

Iggy is far more clutch and delivers on the biggest stage, capable of outplaying superstars.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG View Post
    Prime Pippu or prime Iggy?

Iggy is far more clutch and delivers on the biggest stage, capable of outplaying superstars.

Iggy didn't need to be raised like Pippen did, so I'd take Iggy quite easily.

Heck, the guy that drafted Pippen (Krause) said that if Pippen didn't play with Jordan, not much would've come of him (quote here)

Iggy didn't need to be raised like Pippen did, so I'd take Iggy quite easily.

Heck, the guy that drafted Pippen (Krause) said that if Pippen didn't play with Jordan, not much would've come of him (quote here)
    Damn...