Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default 2021 post season #1 seed in NBA!

Default Re: 2021 post season #1 seed in NBA!

Lloyd Pierce: I’m still a coach. And so it’s an opportunity to learn a little bit more about Utah spacing on offense and how they’re generating the type of threes they’re generating and why they’re shooting the percentages that they’re shooting. I think Quinn (Snyder) does a tremendous job of getting the corners filled, their downhill attack, and this is in the half court, which makes it even more special. The way they can space doesn’t matter who’s in the corner. Gobert, they don’t just have them as a traditional post running to the block. He’s playing through the elbow. He’s playing in the trail spot and he’s obviously going into some pick and roll, some ball screen… So to watch it a little closer to study it.
    – via Apple Podcasts

“A lot of my talent was that I was OK and good at a lot of things but I wasn’t great at anything,” Ingles said. “It wasn’t like, this team needs to bring me over because I’m an elite 3-point shooter or an elite defender or a playmaker.” Whereas Ingles didn’t have one elite skill to bring to the NBA floor as an 18-year-old, Giddey is already arguably the best passer in the 2021 draft class, which should translate from day one in the NBA. Watching film with him over Zoom, he sees everything a step ahead. Although not always as flashy as a Ball or Auburn standout Sharife Cooper, Giddey is unselfish with his hit-aheads. “It’s almost kind of like what people saw with LaMelo in the NBL like, kicking the ball ahead regardless of who it was,” Ingles said of Giddey. “If it was the right play to make, he was making it.”
    – via Mike Schmitz @ ESPN

“Joe was way more like Josh than what he might remember,” said Marty Clarke, the NBA’s Global Academy technical director and a former Saint Mary’s College assistant. Clarke also served as the head coach of the Australian Institute of Sport and played a key role in the development of Ingles, Bogut, Patty Mills, Aron Baynes and Matthew Dellavedova. “Joe wasn’t a great shooter back then. Now, he’s a driller. It’s lights out. I think a lot of people get to a level and think they’re done. That’s where Joe is always working for the next thing, ‘What’s my next edge?’ And I think Josh will be exactly the same.”
    – via Mike Schmitz @ ESPN

https://kslsports.com/459574/utah-ja...-the-top-seed/

The team proved they could survive the close to the regular season without Mitchell but will need his elite scoring ability if they want to advance in the playoffs.

should win in the first round unless it's the lakers regardless

Those three players (assuming Mitchell returns) will provide the backbone for the Jazz postseason run, but what can they expect out of Bojan Bogdanovic.

it's more what can they expect of coty. will he bench guys that suck or play ersan like he should. doubt it

https://sports.yahoo.com/experts-nam...175956400.html

Others considered: Utah's Joe Ingles, New York's Derrick Rose, Dallas' Jalen Brunson, Portland's Carmelo Anthony

Eppers: 76ers' guard Ben Simmons is the most versatile defensive player in the league, who made life miserable for everyone from score-first point guards to the best mid-range shooters.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50169007...-for-this-week

That doesn't mean the Jazz wouldn't have a chance. In fact, it would likely be a fascinating series. Would the Lakers' No. 1 defense be able to shut down Utah's elite offense? Could LA's porous 3-point offense (25th in the league) be able to keep up with the Jazz's sharpshooters? And there's one potential upside to the Lakers landing at eight: They might not be completely healthy by the first round, so it could be best to get them earlier than later — and a sign of that might be losing to Golden State in Wednesday's play-in game.
    their only chance would be to go big and with Snyder that would probably mean Favors not Ersan/Morgan/Brantley. You'd probably rather face the Lakers now than later though

The Jazz, though, have a couple things working for them: Utah has outscored the Warriors by 52 points during Rudy Gobert's minutes this season (and he'll be playing much more in the postseason); and Utah's bench, featuring two Sixth Man of the Year candidates, is far superior than Golden State's mismatched group of reserves.
    Their bench is better because of Gobert/Conley and despite Clarkson

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/18/22...istant-coaches

“Coach has been having me bring the ball up the floor sometimes and I’m kind of lost-minded sometimes on what to call and what plays to run and stuff,” Clarkson said. “Those guys are always there to help and tell me what they see, so it’s been a good experience.”
    you only know one play. Clarkson shoots

https://saltcityhoops.com/defining-s...c-jazz-season/

Had Donovan Mitchell remained healthy, he would have a strong case for All-NBA (and still has a chance of making it, even after missing 19 games). And who knows what heights the team would’ve reached with better health.
    might have did worse with more of their superstar actually

Mitchell improved in nearly every statistical category. More than anything though, he’s become a bonafide pure scorer (which happens to be the most valuable skill in basketball). He finished the season averaging 26.4 points per game, good for 10th best in the league. Some context makes this number much more impressive: Mitchell only played 33.4 minutes per game. If you adjust his scoring to points per 100 possessions, Mitchell averaged 38.5 points. Only 11 players in NBA history have reached a higher scoring rate by their fourth season.
    gunner not scorer

While these were Rudy’s defining stats, I also want to note his 6.2% Hall of Fame probability via basketball-reference.com. This number is likely to be much higher after he wins another DPOY and All-NBA team. And even more so now that defensive standout Ben Wallace will join the Hall.
    where will the statue go?

Since Donovan Mitchell was injured, Bojan took upon to the primary scoring load, averaging 22.8 points per game since April 17. Bogdanovic started the season slow, possibly due to a nagging wrist injury or fewer touches. While his usage should drop down again when Mitchell and Conley are both back, Bogdanovic has proven himself the capable primary option when needed. And the Jazz may very well need that in the playoffs, when defensive schemes take Mitchell and Conley away. Last year Bogdanovic was sorely missed in the playoff series against Denver. This season we’ll get to see how teams try to take away three legit scorers.
    in game 7 maybe. Defense was their problem and he wasn't missed there for sure

Combine this, and the fact that he plays the second most minutes on the team, while still maintaining a 39% accuracy from three, and O’Neale remains the ultimate glue guy in his second season as a full-time starter.
    one of their most important players for sure

Jordan Clarkson: 94 consecutive games with a made 3-pointer
    who cares with some of the awful nights he had to get it

In contrast to his backcourt mate, Clarkson’s efficiency waxed and waned throughout the season. But his role is more focused as a pure bucket-getter. Yes, Clarkson was sometimes overzealous in his shot hunting. And his accuracy numbers dropped after flirting with the 50/40/90 club at the beginning of the season. But Clarkson is also tasked with manufacturing offense — at times outside of what the opposing defense schemes for. And there’s something to be said for volume scoring off the bench. It’s hard to score 18.4 points per game in less than 27 minutes per game. Efficiency numbers don’t account for degree of difficulty or volume, and watching Clarkson play makes it clear that he’s a skilled scorer.
    he's a gunner

How does Clarkson do it? With an improved shot selection. This season only 2% of his shots came from the long midrange, which at early points of his career had been as high as 27%. Now he shoots 55% of his shots from three, dramatically higher than 19% in his first season. If you ever listen to the Utah broadcast, you’ve heard at length about his streak of consecutive games with a made thre, now at 94 games. While the streak itself is not really important, it’s emblematic both of Clarkson’s role a scorer and transformation of his shot profile.
    55% of shots from 3 when you shoot 34% isn't good shot selection sorry

Favors’ season can be tricky to evaluate. His minutes dropped from 24.4 per game in the previous season to just 15.3 (and this was no surprise to Favors or the Jazz). At times his athleticism has felt rickety. And he plays behind Rudy Gobert, so the contrast in impact is extra visible. Speaking of contrast, Favors is often evaluated through the lens of not being Tony Bradley. This may not be fair to either player, but the truth is that Utah hemorrhaged leads during backup center minutes last season, and Favors was brought in to steady the ship. We can debate whether 15 minutes of backup center are worth $30 million over 3 years, but those minutes highlight a few important things:
    horrible signing. Bradley at 3.5 million and the 10 mill to a stating PF was the way to go

Favors’ style of play allow the Jazz to play a consistent style of play the entire game

Bradley could play that style too. There's a lot of value in being able to give a team a different look. Not so sure I wouldn't rather Ersan was playing instead of Favors most of the time

Favors’ willingness to sacrifice minutes sets the tone a team that emphasizes unselfishness

I get the impression that he is almost done and happy to play less minutes while getting paid way too much to do so

Favors is good enough to play against opposing starting centers. This allows Gobert to stagger against opposing bench units, to enormous success.

debatable. Was night and day when Rudy was off the floor

You can make the argument that six of the above nine players had a career year. The team itself certainly had a year to remember. Anything can happen in the playoffs, particularly with so many contender level teams in the Western Conference. But no matter what happens, the Jazz provided an enormously entertaining season during a time when fans especially needed it.
    Mitchell, Conley, Gobert, Ingles, O'Neale and Niang

I’m really trying to help you understand the gapping hole of knowledge between you and the CDC.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/19/22...-playoffs-nba\

But, despite an unrelenting schedule and the wear and tear of a regular season compounded by the increased number of back-to-back sets, Gobert — arguably the most important player on this Jazz team — remained a dependable constant.
    I know it sucks but there is no argument