Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2021 post season #1 seed in NBA!

https://kslsports.com/459958/grizzli...ice-cold-jazz/

While the starters finished a reasonable 11-32 from the three-point line, the Jazz second unit shot just 1-15 from deep, including 0-8 from Jordan Clarkson in the loss.
    thanks COTY

Bogdanovic and Clarkson combined for eight turnovers, far too many for a team that relied extra on the two shot creators without guard Donovan Mitchell in the lineup.
    thanks COTY

While it was a question mark how the Jazz would use Mitchell in his return, it was clear the team missed having him in the lineup in their game one loss to Memphis.
    not really clear

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...eam-jazz-look/

• The turnovers. The offensive execution was the Jazz at their worst. Whether it was open shots or open lanes to the rim, the Jazz passed up opportunities to instead pass the ball to the Grizzlies. Some of these turnovers were just inexplicably bad ball-handling, like this:
    Bojan bringing the ball into the front court. Who's brilliant idea is that I wonder?

For the first time all season, Jordan Clarkson didn’t make a three. Georges Niang went 1-6 on some really quality looks. Mike Conley missed two threes in the fourth that would have changed the game. And Bojan Bogdanovic hit some big shots, but missed the potential game-tying one.
    Clarkson playing 30 minutes was the biggest problem

You look at tonight’s box score, and there’s one player who stands out as having an especially bad game: Jordan Clarkson. Bogdanovic ended up stepping up late, Gobert and Favors both played relatively well, Conley kept the Jazz in it, even if he shot poorly. Royce O’Neale and Georges Niang had tough nights too, but on relatively few shooting attempts.
    The sad part is he doesn't stand out. It was a typical game except for the 0 3's

Clarkson, though, was miserable. What a huge sequence this was: the Jazz get a steal are heading the other way, Miye Oni is open and about to get a dunk, and Clarkson never passes it to him.
    anyone expect him to pass?

The result is a three the other way. You know, maybe you give Clarkson the benefit of the doubt and say he didn’t think he could get the pass through the Memphis long limbs, but then shooting over those long limbs is not a better decision. There were two reasonable options on the play — pass to Oni, or pass to a trailer — and Clarkson chose option C: YOLO.
    He will almost always choose the option that ends up with him shooting

In general, I just thought there was too much Clarkson YOLO. Here, the Jazz clear out one side to run a Clarkson/Favors pick-and-roll. The Grizzlies help a lot, which means Conley is open for an easy pass, but Clarkson never sees it. Instead, Clarkson attacks the left side, then the baseline, until either losing the ball or trying an insane behind the back bounce pass to nobody.
    Clarkson only sees the rim. Conley and Oni were wide open

You just can’t make these kinds of decisions in the playoffs. Clarkson will shoot better from three, but the Jazz can’t have the turnovers or the such-a-bad-shot-they’re-essentially-turnovers plays from Clarkson.
    Yeah he might make 2 of 8!

It has to be communicated to Donovan Mitchell, who is the team’s star player. Upsetting him is a terrible thing to do, and surprising him in this way is unfair, especially after he’d been insisting all week he was going to play. This is a big deal: Kawhi Leonard’s relationship with the San Antonio Spurs soured in large part because of team-player injury disagreements, and the discord there set the franchise back a decade. I’m not saying that will happen, but making Mitchell angry is something the Jazz should take big steps to avoid.
    him asking out would be the best thing for the franchise

In the end, it’s hard to know how much risk Mitchell was at by playing today. But if he plays in Game 2 (and I think he will, but I’ve obviously been wrong before) it’s hard to imagine that sitting him on for Game 1 was worth all of these negatives — including, but not limited to, an ugly loss.
    it's worth it if it helps his ankle last through the next round

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/5/23/22...s-nba-playoffs

Whatever was the reason, Utah looked terrible to start the game. Bojan Bogdanovic couldn’t stop turning the ball over and was kept out of the game for a good part of the first half being replaced by Miye Oni. At halftime Bogdanovic had 0 points. He also had a flagrant foul that gifted Memphis two points and was passing up open shots. He turned it around in the second half but this bad of a performance for an entire half is difficult to overcome for a team missing its best offensive player.
    and Oni gave them nothing. Don't know if Ersan was available but he should have played and if not him Morgan or Brantley

Jordan Clarkson’s line tonight was the worst case scenario for Utah. For the game Clarkson was 5/16 from the field, 0/8 from three and had 4 terrible turnovers. What was puzzling was him playing 30 minutes tonight. Quin Snyder made multiple puzzling moves tonight. This was definitely one of them. Clarkson killed the offensive flow tonight and on a night where Joe Ingles was shooting 3/7 from three, he sat in the corner for way too many possessions without seeing the ball. It feels like Snyder is waiting for Clarkson to turn it on in these games sometimes but it just never turned on for Clarkson tonight and it was a big reason the Jazz could never get over the hump.
    nothing puzzling about it. Typical COTY. Kept Bojan in too

Probably the biggest mistake in this game was when Quin Snyder decided to sit both Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley with 4 fouls. That was the moment that really galvanized the Grizzlies. Let’s be clear, Derrick Favors was not the reason the Jazz lost tonight. In fact, he was one of the reasons the Jazz weren’t completely blown out. But when Snyder sat Gobert and Conley with 4 fouls, and had them sit for an extended period, the Grizzlies went on a run that Utah never overcame. What’s even more frustrating is that when Gobert eventually came back in he still fouled out. So by sitting Gobert for foul trouble, the Jazz gave up the run and you didn’t prevent him from fouling out of the game. So not only did you not prevent the run, you didn’t gain any advantage with keeping fouls in check at the end. Lose, lose. Oh and the Jazz lost the game so it’s a lose, lose, lose.
    hard to say sitting Rudy was a mistake when he fouled out. Conley played 33 minutes after being on a minutes restriction so I'm not sure that was a big deal either. Bojan, Clarkson and Oni was

Joe Ingles: I’ve never been with a coach that can motivate you and make you feel so confident. If he told me I could teleport back to Australia from my living room right now I would believe there would be a way to do it. I would believe him so much. It’s something special so I’m lucky to have these people that I’ve been coached by.
    – via Charlie Calver @ GQ Australia

Joe Ingles: I’ll never forget in the bubble. It was the first time in my career playing without fans and usually with fans, you can’t hear what Coach is saying when he’s trying to yell at you. It’s like “yeah, yeah, cool, I don’t know what you’re saying.” But with no fans, I caught the ball, and I didn’t shoot it for whatever reason and he yelled out, “Joe shoot the F-ing ball” and I turned around in the middle of the game because I didn’t know what was happening.

Sixth man of the year? You or [Utah Jazz’s] Jordan [Clarkson]? Joe Ingles: I didn’t even know that I was in the running. I never thought about it. I’ve never talked about it. I’ve never prepared for it. If I happen to get it, cool. If JC got it, I would be so happy for him because he’s been a sixth man a lot of his career. It’s the role he’s embraced. Myself and him, we’ve taken pride in coming off the bench and trying to make an impact. I couldn’t care less if it’s me. I kind of hope it’s him because he does deserve it. So we’ll see what happens.

https://*********.com/2021/05/21/uta...r-of-the-year/

According to research from Owen Phillips, only Nikola Jokic has had more calls not in his favor later confirmed as incorrect by the NBA Officiating Last Two Minute Reports (via The F5):
    give him the respect he deserves!

https://www.ksl.com/article/50172814...the-year-award

"I kind of took it like, 'Man, he don't think I'm good enough. He gonna play me off the bench? I got to prove him wrong,'" Clarkson said.
    he was right

Clarkson credited Quin Snyder for his belief in him and allowing him to play his game and for his teammates for making "winning" the best part of the season.
    certainly couldn't have happened without a coach that allows you to suck most of the time

https://www.ksl.com/article/50172713...ble-for-game-2

So did Mitchell's sprained ankle suddenly completely heal overnight? Unlikely.

The much more plausible scenario is Mitchell — who admitted that he was less-than-pleased with the late scratch from Game 1 — was able to convince the organization that he was playing. And, frankly, that was that.
    if true they are making a mistake. You don't let players dictate the franchise. We can go back to Hayward saying he'd play with Rubio

https://kslsports.com/460040/jazz-gu...n-of-the-year/

“Growing up watching Manu, he’s one guy that I really watched growing up and he really made this role, really cool to me,” Clarkson said.

I wish you played like Manu

https://kslsports.com/459991/twenty-...ainst-memphis/

Jordan Clarkson had the worst shooting night of any Jazz player, going 0-8 from the three-point line and snapping his streak of 94 consecutive makes from downtown.
    usually the worst

It’s difficult to knock Miye Oni for missing his lone three-point attempt as his season average would indicate that he would.
    can knock coach of the year for playing him 10 minutes

Again, it’s hard to criticize Joe Ingles who was the Jazz most efficient shooter on Sunday, knocking down 3-7 from deep for 42 percent.
    I'd criticize him for not doing more

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/24/22...-first-weekend

The 12th pick of the 2011 NBA draft by the Jazz, Burks never reached the potential many thought he had thanks in large part to injuries, but he has proven on a number of big occasions that he can get things going.
    too bad COTY never let him play his game like he has Clarkson. Much better player

https://www.deseret.com/2021/5/24/22...-the-grizzlies

On the other hand, he’s certainly an upgrade over Tony Bradley, and it’s really hard to look like you’re playing up to the level of the starter in front of you when his name is Rudy Gobert, a two-time (most likely soon-to-be three-time) Defensive Player of the Year.
    debatable. Tony was cheap, young and improving. Favors is expensive and declining. Rather have Bradley and the 10 million for the starting PF they need or just to be under the tax even

On a night when the Jazz were upset in the opening game of the postseason, there was a lone bright spot and a silver lining. The Jazz will need Favors through these playoffs, and if he delivers like he did on Sunday night, he’ll have done his job.
    the D was still bad with him

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/5/24/22...layoff-debacle

What was going well early and how did it all fall apart?
    Gobert went to the bench with his 2nd foul

“Rudy Gobert couldn’t play due to foul trouble” - This an extension of the first. While he picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter, Rudy Gobert should have stayed on the court. At the very least, when Utah trimmed the lead to 3 points in the middle of the 3rd, that was the time to come in and retake the lead. That was the most critical moment of the game. If he comes in, maybe the Jazz don’t fall behind by 17 points in the 4th.
    Hard to say he should have been on the floor more when he fouled out

https://www.nba.com/news/without-mit...itty-grizzlies

So what happens to a team built around a star player and 3-point shooting when that star doesn’t play and those shots don’t fall?
    the team is built around Gobert. First paragraph and I already know it's a bad article