Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334
    Dunking on everybody in the park kabacho's Avatar

Default Re: Eastern Conference Round 1: (2) Brooklyn Nets vs. (7) Boston Celtics

College superstar

Default Re: Eastern Conference Round 1: (2) Brooklyn Nets vs. (7) Boston Celtics

Congratulations brooklyn. Goodluck with the next series. Stay healthy.

Nice effort celtics. Hope to see better things for the next season.

Blow it up

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner View Post
    Hopefully Danny Ainge is one of those pieces
    I wouldn't be opposed to that tbh.

Congratulations, Nets fans (however few non-bandwagoners there may be on this board.). Looking forward to the Giannis-Durant match-up that eluded us in 2019.

I have no delusions of the Bucks winning this match-up, but it should be a fun series regardless of the outcome. Steve Nash's coaching—especially on the defensive end—will be challenged this series, though... Giannis will have a field day if their help defense—AKA "the wall," as schemed by the Raptors and Heat in recent years—is as porous as it's been in this series, especially since the Bucks have a more dynamoic offfense now. Like the 2001 Lakers, however, the Nets' superstars are more than enough to overcome substandard defense against the average title-contender.

Incredible that the Celtics went from young, up-and-coming borderline Eastern Conference champions in 2018 to first-round fodder by now. As unwinnable as this series was against the Nets, the Celtics shouldn't have matched up with them in the first round if they evolved as expected. They definitely have drastic changes to make.

I don't think firing Stevens is the answer—as some Celtics fans have clamored for—but it's clear their young core's trajectory alone won't cut it. Who knows about their coaching, though? Sometimes, you have to let even top-end coaches like Stevens go because their team no longer responds to them—and the Celtics have certainly look disengaged at times—but I'd always retool the roster before the coaching staff since it's generally easier to find better players than Stevens-level coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Naero View Post
    Congratulations, Nets fans (however few non-bandwagoners there may be on this board.). Looking forward to the Giannis-Durant match-up that eluded us in 2019.

I have no delusions of the Bucks winning this match-up, but it should be a fun series regardless of the outcome. Steve Nash's coaching—especially on the defensive end—will be challenged this series, though... Giannis will have a field day if their help defense—AKA "the wall," as schemed by the Raptors and Heat in recent years—is as porous as it's been in this series, especially since the Bucks have a more dynamoic offfense now. Like the 2001 Lakers, however, the Nets' superstars are more than enough to overcome substandard defense against the average title-contender.

Incredible that the Celtics went from young, up-and-coming borderline Eastern Conference champions in 2018 to first-round fodder by now. As unwinnable as this series was against the Nets, the Celtics shouldn't have matched up with them in the first round if they evolved as expected. They definitely have drastic changes to make.

I don't think firing Stevens is the answer—as some Celtics fans have clamored for—but it's clear their young core's trajectory alone won't cut it. Who knows about their coaching, though? Sometimes, you have to let even top-end coaches like Stevens go because their team no longer responds to them—and the Celtics have certainly look disengaged at times—but I'd always retool the roster before the coaching staff since it's generally easier to find better players than Stevens-level coaches.
    We were missing arguably our best defensive player and 25ppg scorer in Jaylen Brown. Now I’m not saying he would push us over the edge but it would have been more competitive. We were also down Kemba Walker and Evan Fournier isn’t what we expected. Everything possible went wrong. Make no mistake though Tatum and Brown duo will be nasty if the c’s get a decent team around them

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner View Post
    We were missing arguably our best defensive player and 25ppg scorer in Jaylen Brown. Now I’m not saying he would push us over the edge but it would have been more competitive. We were also down Kemba Walker and Evan Fournier isn’t what we expected. Everything possible went wrong. Make no mistake though Tatum and Brown duo will be nasty if the c’s get a decent team around them
    Teams like the Lakers still maintained top-end defenses even without some of their best defensive players for much of the season. If the Celtics can't post a better-than-mediocre defense without Jaylen Brown, then they have bigger problems (logistics and motivation, namely) than injuries alone.

I'm not denying that a fully healthy roster would've moved the needle, but I still expected more than this treadmill season. Brad Stevens once took soup cans to the ECF, yet a ripened young core failed to earn better than a seventh seed.

A large part of is an improved Eastern Conference and injuries, granted; another not-so-inconsiderable part, however, is the Celtics' roster. They definitely could use more bench depth—if only as a fallback to starters injuries—where another playmaker is sorely missing.

Will be interesting to see how they respond next season. It's just shocking to me—as one who doesn't follow the Celtics so attentively—how there could be such subpar playmaking and defensive efforts under Brad Stevens', which makes me question how much they're responding to the current coaching staff.

Monster series from KD. One of the most dominant two-way series in years by a player. The defense he played was up there with the best defensive wings ever and still had a monster offensive series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naero View Post

Looking forward to this series, may the best team win

Game 1: Nets 104, Celtics 93
    Game 2: Nets 130, Celtics 108
    Game 3: Celtics 125, Nets 119
    Game 4: Nets 141, Celtics 126
    Game 5: Nets 123, Celtics 109
    Nets win series, 4-1

Brad Stevens replaces Danny Ainge as Boston Celtics’ President of Basketball Operations; team will now search for a new head coach: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=25982