Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Brad Stevens future if he falls short in the playoffs, again

Which coaches have done more the last 5-6 years? How many are there? 6-7?

He’s done nothing to deserve being fired. Losing to the nets without his second star adds absolutely nothing to the argument he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    They think that as long as they make the playoffs, they're fine. Something that they've been doing so since 2015.
    What do you want them to do? The only time Brad was really exposed was last season against the Heat and they still made the ECF. Our two best players are 23 and 24. I expect Danny to go deep in the bag to get some experience off the bench. We'll be fine.

Boston just isn't that good of a team. He seems to be a good coach. Get him more talent. I'd love to have him coaching in Portland. He's much smarter than Terry Stotts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    What do you want them to do? The only time Brad was really exposed was last season against the Heat and they still made the ECF. Our two best players are 23 and 24. I expect Danny to go deep in the bag to get some experience off the bench. We'll be fine.
    Lol his predecessor did a lot more for the team in a span of five years. Two b2b 60-win seasons then in the postseason, three conference finals berths, two trips in the finals and a ring. Although the roster was also very different back then.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Falls short? His team had 0 chance to begin with. Not his fault that half the team had COVID and barely played together all year + Brown getting injured right before the Playoffs.
    this
    Boston's roster has gone down hill last 3 years...
    They need at least a 2nd option for Tatum.
    Brown, Smart and their PG are 3rd options.
    For some reason I expect more from Walker ... but he just seems off. (He never was that way)

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    That was a very winnable series for the celtics. I realy think the coach should be held the most accountable here. We’ve seen other teams like the knicks just bypass the celtics this season and theyre not exactly loaded with their roster.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

you all remember George Karl in Denver ?

I rule the local playground ZionDunks's Avatar

Stevens plays the politics game really well. His amount of ass kissing and being an establishment puppet coupled with mild accomplishments will go a long ways.

Last time was the first time I seen the little hen without a mask on. He isn’t going anywhere for a while. As far as white people go he’s what the NBA is looking For.

Banned

Welcome back to Indiana, Brad.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

You guys are trolling right?

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

I don't get the lust for firing coaches if they don't win titles. He needs to be fired for not winning one since he got there? When did he ever have talent remotely close to what he has gone up against? Even if he somehow squeaked out a win to get to the finals, he's facing an overwhelming talent disadvantage when he gets there. There's no coach anywhere that's winning that.

Then there is all the injuries he's had to deal with. Thomas, Hayward, Irving, Brown.

Guess what? At most 5 teams are winning titles in a five year span and it almost never is that evenly distributed. So should the other 25 teams fire their coaches every five years since they haven't won?

Many teams have endless coaching turnover as they keep hoping they'll strike gold and keep coming coming up short. There's something to be said for continuity. When you find a strong coach keep him because chances are whoever you find to replace him is going to be worse. There aren't just dozens of elite coaches who will instantly deliver titles with any roster out there.

Stevens has consistently shown he can get a team to overperform its talent level. It's a bad idea to get rid of a coach like that just because he can't beak through against superior talent, although I'd argue hes done just that by getting past Philly.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Do people realize that winning this series would be the biggest upset in NBA history? Just curious.

Banned

Like others are saying, it's more the roster and injuries that are the problem. If Celtics were to fire him, I think Pacers call him immediately. Pacers players don't really like Nate Bjorken or his staff, Brad back in Indiana would be my guess if he were to become available.

Doesn't matter how much you float around in playoff mediocrity, after enough times you're held accountable for not getting to a championship level

Coaches in sports get fired all the time after strong playoff runs, Finals runs, Superbowl runs, World Series runs.

Dwayne Casey got fired after a 49 win, 56 win, 51 win, 60 win seasons just 2 years ago. Precisely because he couldn't elevate his team into the Finals. Hired Nurse, next year champions.

Fired Blatt, hired Lue. Champions

Fired Luke, hired Vogel. Champions

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    Doesn't matter how much you float around in playoff mediocrity, after enough times you're held accountable for not getting to a championship level

Coaches in sports get fired all the time after strong playoff runs, Finals runs, Superbowl runs, World Series runs.

Dwayne Casey got fired after a 49 win, 56 win, 51 win, 60 win seasons just 2 years ago. Precisely because he couldn't elevate his team into the Finals. Hired Nurse, next year champions.

Fired Blatt, hired Lue. Champions

Fired Luke, hired Vogel. Champions
    LOL. Every single one of those examples has nothing to do with the replacement coach being better than the outgoing coach. Cavs went from 2 of top 3 players out to both healthy. Raptors added multiple better players to their roster. Vogel got to use a healthy LeBron and benefitted from Davis coming in and the useless young core getting shipped out.

None of those titles are because an underachieving coach was booted, and the Celtics sure as hell don't have talent remotely close to those title teams.

Yes coaches that don't win titles are routinely fired and new coaches brought in who proceed to usher in a steady decline and team end up mired in lottery mediocrity and an endless coaching carousel as they search for and never find a guy who can magically turn an inadequate roster into champions.

Better to stick with a quality coach once you are fortunate to find one and understand that, especially in the NBA, you're not winning titles until you have the highest level top end talent or if you get lucky, overwhelming quality depth, in which case you have an outside shot at an '04 Pistons title.