Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Doncic was the best player in Mavericks-Clippers series

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    He stopped Doncic from getting 60. Also he didn't guard him on every single possession.
    Luka was like 7\25 shooting when Kawhi was actually guarding him this series, anybody who actually watched will tell you that unless their blind or something. Luka's points were all on switches while being defended by Zubac or Batum or Reggie Jackson mostly.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LeCola View Post
    I agree that Kawhi was great but Doncic was the best player on the court. Just like Lebron in 2015 Finals.

He reminds me Jordan before Pippen. Doing everything, had great stats in first round playoff series but not enough to beat much higher seed teams without a good team.
    Idk man it's close. Luka was better offensively but he's also playing in a ball dominant system where he dominated the ball. Kawhi on the other hand was still great offensively but he did it in more of a team system. Plus he way way better on defense which is kind of half the game. Luka was great but give me kawhi if we're talking trying to win it all. Give me luka if we're just talking stats

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    He stopped Doncic from getting 60. Also he didn't guard him on every single possession.
    Kawhi (+ double teams) stopped Doncic from scoring 60. It is true.

Can you answer who stopped Kawhi?

How many times Kawhi doubled just after he reached half court? Which elite defenders (like Kawhi, George) defended Kawhi?

What would happen if Kawhi played in that Mavericks team, defended by Kawhi and doubled just after he stepped the half court?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Idk man it's close. Luka was better offensively but he's also playing in a ball dominant system where he dominated the ball. Kawhi on the other hand was still great offensively but he did it in more of a team system. Plus he way way better on defense which is kind of half the game. Luka was great but give me kawhi if we're talking trying to win it all. Give me luka if we're just talking stats
    Everybody tries to run away and avoid going at Kawhi's defense.

Everybody's eyes light up when they see Luka's defense.

Big difference. Also Kawhi lets his teammates actually dribble the ball once in a while hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by LeCola View Post
    Kawhi (+ double teams) stopped Doncic from scoring 60. It is true.

Can you answer who stopped Kawhi?

How many times Kawhi doubled just after he reached half court? Which elite defenders (like Kawhi, George) defended Kawhi?

What would happen if Kawhi played in that Mavericks team, defended by Kawhi and doubled just after he stepped the half court?
    George didn't do anything defensively on Luka though, he was mostly getting scored on. The difference was Kawhi took the challenge in game 6 and guarded Luka which resulted in him having a bad game. Luka never took any defensive challenge to guard Kawhi or even George, he's a liability on defense.

Kawhi has not been playing good defence and has avoided Luka until game 7. He would not put up the same numbers while guarding Luka.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

After this game 7 I'll go with Kawhi, better two-way player and can make an impact without needing ball in hand. Doncic rarely moves off ball, takes too many unnecessary dribbles to get to his spots, and isn't trying to lock up anyone on defense what's his excuse to tire out lmao

He ain't slick with his statpadding either, learned from his idol how to make his numbers look better than his actual impact

Kawhi and Durant are the two best small forwards since Larry Bird, no shame in either one of them being better than Doncic at this stage of his career

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GOAT2408 View Post
    After this game 7 I'll go with Kawhi, better two-way player and can make an impact without needing ball in hand. Doncic rarely moves off ball, takes too many unnecessary dribbles to get to his spots, and isn't trying to lock up anyone on defense what's his excuse to tire out lmao

He ain't slick with his statpadding either, learned from his idol how to make his numbers look better than his actual impact

Kawhi and Durant are the two best small forwards since Larry Bird, no shame in either one of them being better than Doncic at this stage of his career
    Exactly. Kawhi's off ball game is like 10x better and i actually think Kawhi's 1 on 1 game is better as well.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41 View Post
    Kawhi has not been playing good defence and has avoided Luka until game 7. He would not put up the same numbers while guarding Luka.

He guarded him in game 6 and game 7. And he guarded him pretty well. Luka pretty much scored whenever Kawhi wasn't on him. So, the stats in game 7 are a bit misleading.

Game 1-5, Kawhi didn't guarded him as much. Game 1-2, Luka destroyed Pat Bev. Game 3-5, he still destroyed not anyone name Kawhi. When Kawhi was on him, usually he called for a pick to get Zubac or a smaller guard. He would even take on PG or Morris.

Game 6, Kawhi would fight over the screen about 70% of the time and guard him. This screwed up Luka's offensive flow.

Game 7, in the first half, Kawhi switch on the picks and Luka feasted. In the second half, he could hardly score with Kawhi on him.

Like I would say Luka is better offensively than Kawhi is, but after Kawhi slowed him down in game 6 and 7, and still played great offensively, I think I would still have to say Kawhi. It's very close tho. But Kawhi guarding Luka is was one of the turning points of the series. I didn't think he had it in him anymore, but he did.

And the way he scored off the ball was great. He had some good looks and did dmg. Luka is great tho. Not taking anything from him. Give him a couple of years, I think he'll be the best player in the league.

College superstar

kawhi but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    Exactly. Kawhi's off ball game is like 10x better and i actually think Kawhi's 1 on 1 game is better as well.
    you say that like its a surprise. kawh does have a better iso game. he is less reliant on step back 3s and has big hands, which means better ball security. his inbetween game is on another tier, and that ultimately separates them.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24 View Post
    kawhi by not by much.

you say that like its a surprise. kawh does have a better iso game. he is less reliant on step back 3s and has big hands that enable him to be more careful with the ball. his inbetween game is on another tier, which ultimately separates them.
    don't forget clippers lost to mavs by 50 earlier this season when kawhi didn't play hahaahahhaa

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    I think "Doncic is bad on defence" is just a myth. I don't say he is a great defender like Kawhi but it does not mean he is bad on defence.

In regular season almost all players perform bad on defence.

He played two playoff series and he was good on defence awesome on offence in those series.

If he is that bad on defence why didn't Kawhi and George pick him with screens/switchs and score combined 60-70 points in both series.