26 42.62%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Default Re: Giannis or Dirk?

The black one

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Giannis or Dirk, which of these Alpha, title-winning power-forwards do you pick head-to-head?
    Head to Head. Giannis scores more than Dirk does: Regular season or finals. Plus his defense is on another level. Giannis is going to get around Dirk when he wants to. Career wise its Dirk but head to head it isn't.

Dunking on everybody in the park Gougou's Avatar

I respect Dirk a lot, his offensive game is incredible.

But I kinda want to go with the Greek Freak, his defense is miles ahead better than Dirk, he also scores more than Dirk, he just doesn't have a midrange, 3pt, high % free-throw (that game 6 doesn't count!) like Dirk. So in term of an all-round player, Giannis is better and he is only getting started.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

more consistent points Dirk...
    more rounded player Giannis

Giannis all day.

I usually hit open layups

Wow.. I'm surprised so many people going for Giannis... Dirk single handedly carried that Mavs team against Kobe Lakers, Durant Thunder and Lebron's Heat... and yes these teams were ALL HEALTHY. Kidd, Marion, Terry all contributed in different ways but that goes for Middleton, Turker and Jrue Holiday. There were talks of Middleton being FMVP half way, Dirk was always the MVP for that Mavs team. Until Giannis can prove with another ring, who's championship was greater? Dirk's. No doubt.

GOAT wise, EASILY Dirk! Current Giannis vs. peak-prime Dirk, EASILY Giannis! The thing about Giannis is he caught TOO MUCH HEAT! I get pointing out his flaws. BUT The MAIN THING in sports is frankly NUMBERS AND RESULTS! As great as Dirk was, he NEVER was a multi dimensional star like Giannis. Dirk was truly ONLY GREAT at one thing. And that's scoring the rock. Hell he revolutionized the PF spot. A 7 foot 50-40-90 phenom who was a true alpha dog scorer. That type of PF or 7 footer for that matter had NEVER been seen before! A huge reason why the center position took a dive IS BECAUSE those guys wanted to be like Dirk! But those guys COULDN'T be Dirk!

With Giannis, u get great scoring,passing, rebounding, and defense for his position. From there, likely has the most positional versatility two way wise of all time. Right there with KG. And for the perimeter players, Lebron. Sorry, just don't see a case for Dirk peak-prime wise over current Giannis. Who hasn't even hit the pinnacle of his game yet!

Only KG and AD could be compared to Giannis IN TERMS of being positionless 7 foot players. In an all time PF draft, those three along with Duncan and Barkley should be the top 5 picks in my opinion. All Bucks needed were the right pieces to fit around Giannis. THEY DID THAT! Despite his shortcomings, he WON A RING!! That's what it's all about!
    Last edited by bizil; 07-23-2021 at 01:53 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Germany vs Greece. Hitler vs Alexander is what this comes down to.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
    dirk because he translates to any era. giannis outside of this era and the 50s/60s would just be another amare Stoudemire
    Giannis would be dominant in any era. He's a modern day Shaq.

Giannis is a more consistent player.

Having a game predicated on highly efficient shots is important.
    I legitimately think Giannis only had 2 poor games all season; against Boston. Then consider the defensive end and how much he protects the paint, and the help defense you get from him.

One of the best players of all time, and that was the case even a year or two ago, and he is only getting better. Would be great in any era. Who is stopping a mobile 7 footer who dribbles like a guard and can overpower every PF in the league? He is far too dynamic for anyone guarding him 1 through 5.

Serious playground baller

Current Giannis is better than Dirk ever was

National High School Star

While I like Giannis he's got 13K points, Dirk is in the 30K club

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I'll take the Buck ...
    Ahh if you know what I am talking about you know Dirk was a Buck before he was a Mav.
    But head to head I'll take Giannis.
    Trophy's he is already ahead of Dirk , even though Dirk in a career has more right now.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    Giannis is a more consistent player.

Having a game predicated on highly efficient shots is important.
    I legitimately think Giannis only had 2 poor games all season; against Boston. Then consider the defensive end and how much he protects the paint, and the help defense you get from him.

One of the best players of all time, and that was the case even a year or two ago, and he is only getting better. Would be great in any era. Who is stopping a mobile 7 footer who dribbles like a guard and can overpower every PF in the league? He is far too dynamic for anyone guarding him 1 through 5.
    Giannis is more consistent?

The whole narrative around him right now is literally a Durant pinky toe away from being the complete opposite. He was widely considered a playoff choker up until that very fortunate break. Followed by one epic finals that now has everyone massively overreacting.

Of course if he adds a bunch more playoff series where he beasts the whole way thru like he did vs the Suns, then absolutely he'll deservedly be considered one of the best.

Right now people are being complete prisoners of the moment, crowning him off regular season stuff and basically ONE series where he was great start-to-finish. To me that's not consistency. I don't give him extra points because the great series he had happened to be the finals. It's still one series. I need more than that.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 01-25-2022 at 06:42 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

For Dirk to make his two Finals he had to go through LeBron, Wade (twice), Kobe, Duncan, Nash, Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Manu, Parker, Pau, Bosh, LMA, old shaq, and Brandon Roy.

Giannis to win went through Jimmy Butler, Durant, injured harden, injured Trae Young, devin Booker, and old Chris paul. And he did it with a better team. There are probably all time top 75-100 players you could plug in Giannis spot with that team and they pull it out. Jimmy Butler is probably top 80 all time and he definitely would have had a chance. Suns were a 1st round exit before AD got hurt. Lakers had absurd -300 odds going into the game before he got hurt. I remember because I was playing fanduel.

Give Giannis Dirks paths and he'd be completely ringless. Especially facing those stacked frontcourts who can guard the paint.
    Last edited by tpols; 01-25-2022 at 07:18 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park expansionera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
    dirk because he translates to any era. giannis outside of this era and the 50s/60s would just be another amare Stoudemire
    Giannis would win eight straight rings in the weak 90s, only deterred by Hakeem’s Rockets