Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: these "more skilled" players can barely score 80 points with old rules

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    You’re a fool.

You’re trying to apply what’s happening to the NBA game to the rest of the world. If anything, the 3pt contest that the NBA is becoming disallows guys from developing a true teamwork style game, which the other countries employ.

Its not just that... France shot terrible from 3 today and still won. So they didn't win with 3s... they won by out executing as a team.

Default Re: these "more skilled" players can barely score 80 points with old rules

OP still spreading them cheeks

Beta era. Beta mentality. Beta players.

Jesus Christ man, if the 3s ain't falling, take that sh*t to the rack.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Its not just that... France shot terrible from 3 today and still won. So they didn't win with 3s... they won by out executing as a team.

Team USA has a squad of all-nba guys and we're losing to nba bench-warmers

so there's no excuse for the NBA losing, except that the NBA's AAU style and rules have made our players bad at actual basketball

the iso style or 2-man game that the NBA promotes, along with the soft rules results in dogshit basketball players that can't compete on the international level (which is apparently a higher level and stronger format than the NBA)

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    Team USA has a squad of all-nba guys and we're losing to nba bench-warmers

so there's no excuse for the NBA losing, except that the NBA's AAU style and rules have made our players bad at actual basketball

the iso style or 2-man game that the NBA promotes, along with the soft rules results in dogshit basketball players that can't compete on the international level (which is apparently a higher level and stronger format than the NBA)
    So...also NBA players

NBA players losing to NBA players means..NBA problem

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    So...also NBA players

NBA players losing to NBA players means..NBA problem

All-NBA players aren't supposed to lose to bench warmers, otherwise you wouldn't have teams that win 12 games and teams that win 60+

Keep playing dumb tho.. you're good at it

NBA Superstar

All-NBA players aren't supposed to lose to bench warmers, otherwise you wouldn't have teams that win 12 games and teams that win 60+

I understand the premise. You’re just making terrible arguments to support it.

You’re good at that.

The thing is, in NBA ball the difference between 'superstar X' and 'benchwarmer' X is more pronounced than the difference between the two in international competition. NBA rules give further advantage to the best players. Int'l rules do tip the scales a little more to the center when actual basketball is played. I remember one competition, don't remember which, where if I was an alien visiting earth and just being introduced to basketball I would have thought Patty Mills was one of the best players on the planet, I mean even in comparison to NBA players who were actual 'stars'.

So you can have a competitive game between a team of NBA stars and a team that may only feature a couple of decent NBA players. That's not even taking into account the Int'l teams that have your Jokic/Luka level players on there.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay View Post
    true

but thurston why did you never tell us what t pols means?

thurston?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    Well i think one if the points of the nba being better is that international ball is better.
    Better relative to the past international teams right? Follow me. If the NBA has improved 20pts since the Dream Team of 92, And international teams have improved 20pts from where they were in the early 90s. Shouldn't the NBA still be whipping these international teams?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    Better relative to the past international teams right? Follow me. If the NBA has improved 20pts since the Dream Team of 92, And international teams have improved 20pts from where they were in the early 90s. Shouldn't the NBA still be whipping these international teams?
    Right been saying its cuz of the soft NBA rules, and 3 point influx. Not that shooting threes are bad. Obviously teams should employ a healthy amount of them. But to abandon the in-between isnt what I'd call evolution. More like devolving.

What's your theory?

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Right been saying its cuz of the soft NBA rules, and 3 point influx. Not that shooting threes are bad. Obviously teams should employ a healthy amount of them. But to abandon the in-between isnt what I'd call evolution. More like devolving.

What's your theory?
    I dont think it's really as complicated as we are making it. The international teams/players have simply gotten better. When the original dream team introduced basketball to the global stage, this was always going to be the net result. Teams from across the pond have access to watch the same players as over this side now, emulate and learn from while still learning the benefits of team play fundamentals.

The current generation of NBA stars were raised on loose fundamentals. On hero ball. They present as more 'skilled' with better handles( you can carry the ball way more than you could 30 years ago), travelling has become more obscure and subjective. The game has moved further out to the perimeter at the expense of the in-between/post. International ball retains more of the purer aspects of the game with less emphasis on the flashy individualism that defines American NBA stars, being coddled and told they're the shit in high school. Players have a 'brand' now to protect. It's just alot of little things adding up. The original dream team still was grounded in solid fundamentals, to go along with the superior talent.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I dont think it's really as complicated as we are making it. The international teams/players have simply gotten better. When the original dream team introduced basketball to the global stage, this was always going to be the net result. Teams from across the pond have access to watch the same players as over this side now, emulate and learn from while still learning the benefits of team play fundamentals.

The current generation of NBA stars were raised on loose fundamentals. On hero ball. They present as more 'skilled' with better handles( you can carry the ball way more than you could 30 years ago), travelling has become more obscure and subjective. The game has moved further out to the perimeter at the expense of the in-between/post. International ball retains more of the purer aspects of the game with less emphasis on the flashy individualism that defines American NBA stars, being coddled and told they're the shit in high school. Players have a 'brand' now to protect. It's just alot of little things adding up. The original dream team still was grounded in solid fundamentals, to go along with the superior talent.
    Are rules and style of play complicated though? Sure everyone's learning curve is different, but if you look back a page or two, I also mentioned world talent being better. Top to bottom. Its just a fact that rules and style of play serve a role here. Idk how much, but they absolutely matter. I recently watched a video with Zack Lavine practicing new handles and different kinds of footwork. A pro player from Spain was helping Zack get equipped with how the game is called internationally, and how it'll be called in the Olympics.

Overall, not a fan of how this team is built. They need better point play and tall timber.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Are rules and style of play complicated though? Sure everyone's learning curve is different, but if you look back a page or two, I also mentioned world talent being better. Top to bottom. Its just a fact that rules and style of play serve a role here. Idk how much, but they absolutely matter. I recently watched a video with Zack Lavine practicing new handles and different kinds of footwork. A pro player from Spain was helping Zack get equipped with how the game is called internationally, and how it'll be called in the Olympics.

Overall, not a fan of how this team is built. They need better point play and tall timber.
    Yes, that's what I said in my first paragraph. The international players are better. It was bound to happen when the NBA introduced the Dream team to the world in 1992. That chasm was destined to be finite. Combine that with international players learning the game based on international ball rules,and....yeah. Here we are. The scales are tipping close to the middle. Certainly the fact that USA didnt send the absolute best team, either in terms of marquee talent( B team stars with a few A-listers) or make-up, and losing today shouldn't be the big surprise it would have been 10 years ago.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Yes, that's what I said in my first paragraph. The international players are better. It was bound to happen when the NBA introduced the Dream team to the world in 1992. That chasm was destined to be finite. Combine that with international players learning the game based on international ball rules,and....yeah. Here we are. The scales are tipping close to the middle. Certainly the fact that USA didnt send the absolute best team, either in terms of marquee talent( B team stars with a few A-listers) or make-up, and losing today shouldn't be the big surprise it would have been 10 years ago.
    We're definitely in that stage where the B and C team wont cut it. If USA opts for less talent, they should send guys who actually fit together. Not just names. Watching a team with a bunch of dudes who play similar is a damn eye sore.