Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default The difference between bad and good acting

First clip was a TV movie directed by Michael Mann, same director who made Heat, both are pretty much the same story and characters, but different actors.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: The difference between bad and good acting

the best actors are guys like

- Garry Oldman
    - Daniel Day Lewis
    - Philip Seymour Hoffman
    - Joaquin Phoenix
    - Viggo Mortensen
    - Robert Shaw
    - Dustin Hoffman
    - Heath Ledger

these guys could become completely other people and believable doing it

i don't consider people just being amplified versions of themselves as great actors like robert deniro, jack nicholson, al pacino etc...

how hard is it to be believable when you're just being yourself. deniro has literally played himself in every single movie hes ever been in. most overrated actor ever. no different than a christopher walken character. type cast as hell

Quote Originally Posted by kennygriffin View Post
    the best actors are guys like

- Garry Oldman
    - Daniel Day Lewis
    - Philip Seymour Hoffman
    - Joaquin Phoenix
    - Viggo Mortensen
    - Robert Shaw
    - Dustin Hoffman
    - Heath Ledger

these guys could become completely other people and believable doing it

i don't consider people just being amplified versions of themselves as great actors like robert deniro, jack nicholson, al pacino etc...

how hard is it to be believable when you're just being yourself. deniro has literally played himself in every single movies hes ever been in. most overrated actor ever. no different than a christopher walken character. type cast as hell
    I can somewhat agree with DeNiro, although he has shown some versatility. His douchebag character in Mean Streets is pretty much the exact opposite of what he was in Taxi Driver, also played a charismatic Al Capone in The Untouchables.

Pacino also has a rep of being the same shouting guy, but look how he played Michael Corleone, super calculated, soft spoken, & cold. Insomnia is another good example, Pacino was low energy in that movie, but he still nailed the part. Pacino to me has always been one of my favorites, he just dominates a scene.

Both DeNiro & Pacino don't have the versatilty of a Gary Oldman or Daniel Day Lewis, but they both have given all-time great movie performances.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

How hard is it to be believable when you're just being yourself? Ask Oldman and DDL. They don't do understated and nuanced.

Banned

Rober De Niro is a bum. Kid I went to school with is an actor that always swore what a turd actor De Niro is, and he wuz rite sucka. Roberto is a gaylord focker

al pacino etc...
    You are absolutely clueless.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    You are absolutely clueless.
    a robot coulda played him in the godfather. the most blank emotionless character ever lol

his Cuban accent was the worst ever in scarface. that's why Scott hall sounded so retarded and fake since he copied him

and after that he just plays himself in everything. that movie where he's blind was hilarious. least convincing blind person ever. like man.. they know which direction you sorta are. blind people don't continue looking at the wall if they know you're standing in front of then. looked more like he was playing an autistic rainmaker character

I feel good or bad acting depends on the director. There are movies where completely unknown actors are great. i.e City of God.

But sometimes actors do go above and beyond. i.e Heath Ledger's Joker.

Leonardo DiCaprio is another incredible actor who never seems to get enough praise.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Leonardo DiCaprio is another incredible actor who never seems to get enough praise.
    leo = the goat

a robot coulda played him in the godfather. the most blank emotionless character ever lol

his Cuban accent was the worst ever in scarface. that's why Scott hall sounded so retarded and fake since he copied him

and after that he just plays himself in everything. that movie where he's blind was hilarious. least convincing blind person ever. like man.. they know which direction you sorta are. blind people don't continue looking at the wall if they know you're standing in front of then. looked more like he was playing an autistic rainmaker character
    He doesn't only do movies. You are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

First clip was a TV movie directed by Michael Mann, same director who made Heat, both are pretty much the same story and characters, but different actors.
    In that particular clip, I believe Robert de Niro had even better acting than Pacino. Pacino seems a bit uncomfortable or perhaps distracted even though his acting was very good.

I believe Pacino is the overall more believable actor & probably slightly better in his body language, but Robert de Niro had better roles/characters/writers/directors working with him & is definitely more versatile. Pacino was in too many crappy movies and didn't have a few solid consistent directors to work with like Scorsese throughout his career.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Pacino seems a bit uncomfortable or perhaps distracted even though his acting was very good.
    He's just playing the character and the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    In that particular clip, I believe Robert de Niro had even better acting than Pacino. Pacino seems a bit uncomfortable or perhaps distracted even though his acting was very good.
    His character was high on Cocaine alot, they just never showed him doing it in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

Aside from acting the set, equipment and post production plays a huge role. Put DeNiro and Pacino in the first setting and it would look cheap aswell.