Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Florida mother to be evicted from home unless she gets vaccinated

I would assume that this is a state law thing, whether or not a landlord can require vaccinations.

Haven't looked into it frankly. I know for sure employers can do it.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    They are not forcing her to do anything. They gave her a choice. She made her choice. Get over it.
    I'll ask you again, show me where it states that a landlord has the right to require their tenants to be vaccinated. You made that claim, now back it up.

If a landlord states that in order to stay living here, you have to be vaccinated, then they are forcing her to be vaccinated, or they are forcing her to leave. Don't act like she has a choice in the matter.

I would assume that this is a state law thing, whether or not a landlord can require vaccinations.

Haven't looked into it frankly. I know for sure employers can do it.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh so now he admits he's not sure about what he stated as fact earlier.

I rest my case, ladies and gents.

When you are renting you are living in someone else's house. No I haven't checked the tenet laws in every state.

I assumed she had two choices but maybe she had 3:

Choice 1) get vaccinated
    Choice 2) leave
    Choice 3) legal challenge

She chose to leave. BFD

This happened in south Florida. No idea if this is the same landlord but it might be.

. (CNN)A South Florida landlord is requiring new tenants over the age of 18 or any adult tenants who want to renew a lease in one of the 1,200 units he manages to provide proof of a Covid-19 vaccination.

(CNN)A South Florida landlord is requiring new tenants over the age of 18 or any adult tenants who want to renew a lease in one of the 1,200 units he manages to provide proof of a Covid-19 vaccination.

Santiago Alvarez told CNN he has no plan to change his rule despite threats from Gov. Ron DeSantis to fine businesses that require proof of vaccination.

Alvarez said he made the decision a month ago after seeing too many of his tenants die from Covid-19.

The landlord also requires his employees be fully vaccinated. He told CNN he has two employees and two tenants that have left as a result of his vaccination policies.

Alvarez, who said he has voted Republican for a long time, said he is not a DeSantis fan and urges the governor to follow the science, not the polls.

DeSantis has made it clear that he does not support mask and vaccine mandates, citing personal choice as a greater priority.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/us/fl...ent/index.html

So he saw his tenants dying and stepped up in defiance of the governor.

This happened in south Florida. No idea if this is the same landlord but it might be.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/us/fl...ent/index.html

So he saw his tenants dying and stepped up in defiance of the governor.

Under what rule, law, or guideline does mandating that your tenants vax up fall under? Just curious.

And how is that any different than mandating that no homosexuals be allowed to live there? Or that you must show proof of proper Party affiliation to rent there. I definitely would imagine that several Civil Rights are being violated here.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Under what rule, law, or guideline does mandating that your tenants vax up fall under? Just curious.

And how is that any different than mandating that no homosexuals be allowed to live there? Or that you must show proof of proper Party affiliation to rent there. I definitely would imagine that several Civil Rights are being violated here.

Lol have you never heard of descrimination based on race, religion or sexual orientation being illegal? Are you really trying.to compare that to vaccination status?

Wow

I don't own any rental properties so I haven't looked into the tenant laws about vaccines.

In theory she could have chosen to challenge the eviction legally. At the very least it would buy her more time to find a place. But she chose homelessness.

Boo friggin hoo.

Lol have you never heard of descrimination based on race, religion or sexual orientation being illegal? Are you really trying.to compare that to vaccination status?

Wow

I don't own any rental properties so I haven't looked into the tenant laws about vaccines.

In theory she could have chosen to challenge the eviction legally. At the very least it would buy her more time to find a place. But she chose homelessness.

Boo friggin hoo.

And that's the point! Not allowing someone to live there because they are not vaccinated is a form of discrimination. It falls under the same category. Unless there is a law that states that you can be denied housing based on your vaccination status, then how is this any different? How crystal clear does it have to be for you to see that?

And that's the point! Not allowing someone to live there because they are not vaccinated is a form of discrimination. It falls under the same category. Unless there is a law that states that you can be denied housing based on your vaccination status, then how is this any different? How crystal clear does it have to be for you to see that?

LOL it is obviously different. You aren't going to die from being gay and it isn't contagious.

Frankly on thinking about this further i wonder if there actually are specific laws related to landlord requiring vaccination status. When would this have come up in the past? We may be in virgin territory here.

The more i look at this the more i think it is a case of TBD. I don't think it is clear cut either way. Google searches aren't turning up anything definitive. It might take a court case to find out for sure.

LOL it is obviously different. You aren't going to die from being gay and it isn't contagious.

Frankly on thinking about this further i wonder if there actually are specific laws related to landlord requiring vaccination status. When would this have come up in the past? We may be in virgin territory here.

The more i look at this the more i think it is a case of TBD. I don't think it is clear cut either way. Google searches aren't turning up anything definitive. It might take a court case to find out for sure.
    And you aren't going to die from Covid either! At least you have a 98.7% chance of not dying. Or is it 99.7%?

First it was lockdowns. You can't leave your house. Now it's you can't even live in your house. When does the overreach end??

No it isn't. An employer or landlord has the right to require vaccinations. That isn't open for debate.

With 2 children she chose to be homeless rather than get vaccinated. She made her choice.

Would you make that same choice in her shoes?
    Of course he does.

We know this isn't against the law.

I'm asking you if you think that sets a healthy precedent.

Stop dodging the question by making it about a woman who does not want to be vaccinated, something half the country doesn't want to. Thats a non-story.

Maybe you can't relate, but most people won't change their belief just because they're given a hard choice.

Wow

Boo friggin hoo.

Those are also unconstitutional, obviously. The reason they exist is big corps want everyone working for them. Prohibiting discrimination keeps smaller business from garnering popular support by being exclusionary. Like most regulations, it's a competitive clamp used by big businesses with lobby money. Not because old, white political opportunists in Washington have a conscience about employment diversity.

Money is the only reason things happen in Washington. That's what the Big Gov/Media vax push is all about. Wealth puppets like Joe Biden and Kamala Harris dont care about your health. You know that. Individuals can have their various opinions about Covid and take their respective measures, but when gov and media are all-in for social distancing, travel prohibitions, vaccine mandates etc, the entire thing is about money. Period. The landlord here can invoke medical discrimination if he wants, but then there should be no legal reason he cant invoke other discrimination. The law will pick and choose which discrimination is okay based on the agenda of the people in charge. It's all - and ONLY - about money, profits, business, bucks.

It's your prerogative if you wanna defend it, but acting like one discrimination is okay but another is not... sounds pretty phony. You obviously want to be in the good graces of a particular side of this vax issue. You think supporting Big Gov/Big Pharm/Big Media/Big Washington gives you the best chances for whatever social mobility you personally seek, so youre drinking their kool-aid. Well, fair enough. You have a Wiz avi and presumable ties to DC, so it isnt surprising. That's how it goes in those parts. You sound like a blowhard political mercenary, not someone concerned with government overreach and equal treatment under the law. But I concede your right to say/think as you wish, even though one day you'll likely be eagerly jumping up and down cheering as that right is revoked from me.

And you aren't going to die from Covid either! At least you have a 98.7% chance of not dying. Or is it 99.7%?

First it was lockdowns. You can't leave your house. Now it's you can't even live in your house. When does the overreach end??
    It wasnt her house, hence the problem. If she owned the house her vax status would be irrelevant.

Searching for a definite answer i am coming up with nothing. All i am seeing is a bunch of opinions. It is entirely possible that there aren't laws on the books to cover this scenario. If there are any i can't find them. I don't care enough to keep looking.

We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Just a reminder that tontoz does not know the absolute risk reduction of hospitalization and death after being vaccinated with Covid-19 (aka the supposed benefits of becoming vaccinated).

And not only is he a huge fan of the Trump Vaccine, but also a big fan of Trump's guidelines on social distancing, masking, travel bans, etc, yet cumulatively there are no known infections prevented by those NPIs.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Those are also unconstitutional, obviously. The reason they exist is big corps want everyone working for them. Prohibiting discrimination keeps smaller business from garnering popular support by being exclusionary. Like most regulations, it's a competitive clamp used by big businesses with lobby money. Not because old, white political opportunists in Washington have a conscience about employment diversity.

Money is the only reason things happen in Washington. That's what the Big Gov/Media vax push is all about. Wealth puppets like Joe Biden and Kamala Harris dont care about your health. You know that. Individuals can have their various opinions about Covid and take their respective measures, but when gov and media are all-in for social distancing, travel prohibitions, vaccine mandates etc, the entire thing is about money. Period. The landlord here can invoke medical discrimination if he wants, but then there should be no legal reason he cant invoke other discrimination. The law will pick and choose which discrimination is okay based on the agenda of the people in charge. It's all - and ONLY - about money, profits, business, bucks.

It's your prerogative if you wanna defend it, but acting like one discrimination is okay but another is not... sounds pretty phony. You obviously want to be in the good graces of a particular side of this vax issue. You think supporting Big Gov/Big Pharm/Big Media/Big Washington gives you the best chances for whatever social mobility you personally seek, so youre drinking their kool-aid. Well, fair enough. You have a Wiz avi and presumable ties to DC, so it isnt surprising. That's how it goes in those parts. You sound like a blowhard political mercenary, not someone concerned with government overreach and equal treatment under the law. But I concede your right to say/think as you wish, even though one day you'll likely be eagerly jumping up and down cheering as that right is revoked from me.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    this is what i don't get. the unvaccinated are not hurting the vaccinated. vaccinations don't stop spread, they solely prevent severe illness & death. covid19 is endemic. where the F** are we going with all of this foolery? seriously, can someone help me out as to why it's so important for everybody else beside yourself to get vaccinated?
    We tried asking similar questions to the vaccine salesmen (8ball, tontoz), but they couldn't come up with an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    The bolded statement does not answer the basic questions I presented and it needs context. See this post here for more details: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1#post14432305

Anyways, the basic questions I asked were never answered. I'll try again.

1) What is the absolute risk reduction for hospitalization/death after becoming fully vaccinated? You can break it down by age groups.

2a) Suppose the unvaccinated (group A) are forced to become vaccinated. How many from group A would have to become vaccinated to save 1 life from the group that voluntarily chose to become vaccinated (group B)? And over what timeframe?

2b) Suppose forcing person A to be injected with a drug reduced the chances of person B to die by 0.001% over the course of 12 months. Would it be worth it to force person A to be injected? At what point would it be worth it?

3 & 4 are more directed at Tontoz for his absurd claims, but I'll list them again in case you happen to agree with his narrative regarding "overwhelmed hospitals" due to covid and the necessity to force masking and social distancing:

3a) How many infections did school closures prevent from March 2020 to June 2021?

3b) How many infections have masks prevented so far, or through June 2021?

4) There are 3,006 counties and 50 states in the US. How many counties & states had overwhelmed hospitals due to Covid-19 in 2020? 2021? Let's take a look at the data.