Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2021 training camp/pre-season!

Veteran big man Ed Davis received a one-year, non-guaranteed contract. A source tells cleveland.com that coach J.B. Bickerstaff pushed for the acquisition of the 32-year-old Davis, known around the league as one of the best locker-room guys and mentors.
    – via Chris Fedor @ Cleveland Plain Dealer

How long Davis remains on the roster is uncertain at this point, but he’s expected to fill the last spot to start the year, giving the Cavaliers more frontcourt depth — and another trusted voice that can help guide this young roster.
    – via Chris Fedor @ Cleveland Plain Dealer

JD Shaw: The Bucks signed Rayjon Tucker to an Exhibit 10 contract, according to a league source. Tucker holds NBA experience with the Jazz and Sixers. He also played 16 games with Wisconsin back in 2019-20.
    – via Twitter JShawNBA

something wrong with Hughes?

Dwyane Wade knows what outsiders think about Utah. He remembers, especially, what NBA players thought of Utah. “It just never felt like a place where I felt like I was wanted,” Wade remembered. “The warmth, it wasn’t there. And a lot of players around the NBA feel that. Coming here, you don’t feel like you have places to go, things to do. … It didn’t feel inviting for you to get out and do things, like New York.”
    – via Salt Lake Tribune

“The perception of Utah is not our reality. I understand perception because I come from inner-city Chicago — a black man in America. I understand what I’m perceived as in a lot of rooms I walk in, but also understand once you get to know me more, once you peel back the layers, the reality is not what you see,” Wade explained. “And that’s the Utah state.”
    – via Salt Lake Tribune

In fact, that was part of Ryan Smith’s sales pitch to Wade in joining the Jazz’s ownership group, over, say, joining forces with the team he represented as a player, the Miami Heat. “That was the pitch to Dwyane: ‘Hey, do you want to go with the state that we can help change?’ You can change Utah and get stuff done. You’re not changing New York,” Smith said.
    – via Salt Lake Tribune

Now in retirement, Manu Ginobili admits he wishes he was playing in today’s high-paced NBA style. To celebrate the league’s 75th anniversary, he spoke with the NBA about his time in the league and likes what he sees on the court from today’s game. “If I could choose which era, I’d like to play now,” said Ginobili. “Fast paced. A lot of threes. A lot of possessions.” “I would have loved to have played in this time and be 28 (years old) now,” he said.
    – via Jeff Garcia @ Kens5.com

Top Rumors, Manu Ginobili

When asked to give his best one-on-one players, his list reads of some of the best to ever play the game. “Well, I would think offensively, there are three guys, four, that are basically unstoppable one-on-one,” he said. “Michael Jordan is the first one. Kobe [Bryant], KD [Kevin Durant] and Steph [Stephen Curry].” How about the players he wishes he can face in his prime? “I would like to play in my prime when I was fast enough… for example Zach [LaVine], even though I played against him, would be a great player to match up against,” he said. “Donovan Mitchell. He’s impressive and impressive set of skills.”
    – via Jeff Garcia @ Kens5.com

While getting in a workout at Utah’s practice facility during an off day, Gobert met Jazz assistant coach Alex Jensen, who was also in his first year with the team. They connected quickly. “Alex was the one guy that I felt like believed,” Gobert says. “Obviously the organization believed in me, or else they wouldn’t have drafted me. But on the coaching staff, Alex was the guy. We naturally got drawn to one another.” Jensen appreciated how Gobert would be in there every single day. “I don’t have to ask. He’s asking me,” Jensen says. “And he wants to play really bad and he thinks he should. So I thought, ‘This is something you can work with.’” But Gobert wasn’t playing, averaging under 10 minutes while appearing in just over half of the Jazz’s games as a rookie. He missed more shots than he made, and logged more fouls than blocks. Gobert instead started in the G League. But he didn’t want to. He came to the United States to play in the NBA, not the G League. “I saw that as a failure at first,” Gobert says.
    – via Kevin O'Connor @ The Ringer

Jensen is the only member of the coaching staff who’s been in Utah as long as Gobert, having stayed on after Quin Snyder replaced Tyrone Corbin. The two have grown close. Jensen visits Saint-Quentin for Gobert’s annual basketball camps. Jensen’s wife is friends with Gobert’s mom, and his two young daughters think every basketball player is named Rudy. Gobert calls Jensen “pretty much family,” and it’s important to him that he’s always honest. “Having someone that I feel like tells me the truth and not just what I want to hear, in this league and in life in general, is what I’ve been trying to do,” Gobert says. “I think a lot of guys would rather surround themselves with people that just tell them yes, yes, yes. Sometimes it’s not always good for your growth.”
    – via Kevin O'Connor @ The Ringer

The Milwaukee Bucks have requested waivers on guard Elijah Bryant. Bryant appeared in four preseason games with the Bucks and averaged 10.8 points in 19.9 minutes per game.

– via NBA.com

Tony Jones: The Utah Jazz have signed forward Nino Johnson
    – via Twitter
    Nino for the Stars I assume

https://gleague.nba.com/player/nino-johnson/

looks like a vet for their front court

Stars roster coming together.

Johnson, Bolden, Alston, Teague, Forrest, Udoka and Hughes and ideally Butler if he's sitting with the Jazz and really Oni should be if they keep him and he's not playing. Fitts on the 2nd two way I'd assume
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 10-15-2021 at 11:36 AM.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50261695...win-over-bucks

But as comfortable and effective as he's looked, it doesn't mean Butler is a lock for Quin Snyder's rotation once the regular season begins Wednesday against Oklahoma City.

if the Jazz were smart Clarkson would be on his way out of town but of course they aren't. COTY is still here

He's got some accomplished guys ahead of him in the pecking order. There are two All-Stars (Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley), the reigning Sixth Man of the Year (Jordan Clarkson) and the runner up for Sixth Man of the Year (Joe Ingles).
    Clarkson sucks

Snyder also thinks that for Clarkson to have the most impact, he has to play at least 24 minutes. He likely has a number in his head for Conley and Ingles, too. The Jazz are trying to win a championship this season; that means less time to develop young talent like Butler and more time honing in on a rotation that can be the top team in the league.
    sad

"I think it's all about trust," Butler said. "If I'm the head coach with the team with the best record in the league, (I'm thinking), 'Why do I need to put in this rookie?' And that's how I'm looking at it, and I'm just trying to make the case of why you should."
    like this kid more all the time

https://kslsports.com/470078/jazz-pa...against-bucks/

“If you can just defend and run the court, you’ll end up like Royce O’Neal,” Snyder said, “and he’s starting.”
    not quite