Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Florida's Covid Cases Have Declined 79% From Peak

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    Ok, but the the article you linked didn't answer his question regarding how many infections (or an estimation thereof) would have occurred without vaccines. The bottom line is we don't know if the number of infections in Vermont would have been any different with/without vaccines. What we know is that with 50% of the adults vaccinated in Vermont, we saw a surge to record highs in cases in Vermont.

Also, are there any situations in Vermont where there have been different testing criteria for vaccinated/unvaccinated persons?
    Still, the data available showing it is about 4 times more of the unvaccinated than the vaccinated among new cases in Vermont, which means vaccine works for what it supposes to do. Also, the fact that Vermont has relaxed mask mandate since May, the rise of delta variant in the state and other factors may be some of causes of case rising recently.

Day 559 of 15 days to slow the spread

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    Still, the data available showing it is about 4 times more of the unvaccinated than the vaccinated among new cases in Vermont, which means vaccine works for what it supposes to do. Also, the fact that Vermont has relaxed mask mandate since May, the rise of delta variant in the state and other factors may be some of causes of case rising recently.
    What is it supposed to do exactly?

Furthermore, if cases rise due to "relaxation of precautions," then how did cases begin to spike ~6-8 weeks following Wisconsin's statewide mask mandate?

How did they dramatically decline in April, May, June, and July following their mask mandating being lifted in March, 2021?

And I'm still waiting on an answer to how Florida brought the cases down 79% from their peak about 6 weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie View Post
    Yeah but 80% of eligible adults are vaccinated, yet the 20% unvaccinated makes up the majority of cases and hospitalizations. That must mean something right?
    I think so. Here's what I said earlier about the vaccines:

To be clear, and I've said this before, but I think the vaccines do have positive absolute risk reductions in both hospitalization & death in certain population in the US. I just think their effectiveness has been extremely overblown, especially in younger, healthy populations, and those who have already recovered.

But my opinion that the vaccines have positive benefits is based on convoluted observational data - as previously shown with my example with 30.1% "Covid" hospitalizations being pregnant women. We have no RCT that tested for and showed vaccines have positive absolute risk reductions in both hospitalization & death. We have the study posted by theman93 last month from Pfizer showing no statistically significant difference in death rates between the control and vaccine groups.

TLDR:

-Vaccines can help, especially certain populations, just not as much as the vaccine salesmen like Trump & tontoz are advertising.
    -No known benefits (in terms of virus outcomes) from the lockdowns, masks, travel bans, etc.
    IIRC the Covid vaccine trials only tested for "symptomatic Covid" least 7 days after becoming "fully vaccinated"; they didn't test for a reduction in hospitalization, death, or reducing the spread of Covid, and in many instances there is just no correlation between the amount of Covid-19 cases and vaccination rates.

Europe back in July 2021:

US data from Spring 2021:

Why didn't we see less cases in the more vaccinated states in Spring 2021?

We'll see what happens this Fall and Winter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7-MtoRV...pg&name=medium

This was from August 5th, when Uruguay and Chile had fully vaccinated > 67% of their population, while Paraguay had fully vaccinated less than 3% of their population. Almost identical amount of cases, yet vastly different vaccination rates.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    Ontario slowly distributed vaccines during that time thanks to slow supplies from the US (Ontario mainly use Pfizer and Moderna). Older, medically compromised folks and frontline healthcare workers got double doses earlier around early Summer.

It has been mostly under control with a bump last few months.
    Compare that to Alberta. First to drop most covid restrictions including mask mandates (best summer ever lol). Lowest vaccination rate in the country. We now have 3 times the number of daily cases as Ontario, despite Ontario having 3x the population. Hospitals are on the brink, the premiere reluctantly instituded mask mandates and vaccine passports. Other provinces and the military are flying in medical personnel just to cope. I wouldn't be surprised to see tighter lock downs again either. Alberta has been a good example of how not to deal with covid, total disaster.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Florida's Covid Cases (7-day average) Have Declined 79% From Peak about 6 weeks ago.

Why did cases begin to surge right after 50% of adults in Florida became fully vaccinated on June 7th?

How did Florida bring the cases down 79% from their peak about 6 weeks ago?
    why aren't you talking about the other 500 cases ?? They likely were never vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    why aren't you talking about the other 500 cases ?? They likely were never vaccinated.
    What other 500 cases?

The question was why Florida's Covid Cases Have Declined 79% From Peak in about 6 weeks. So far the only answer I can remember was from tontoz, who said that "people became more vigilant with social distancing once they realized what was going on."

We're waiting on him to back up that (bizarre) claim.

1) When did the Delta variant arrive in the US? Florida?

2) The governor ended most of his restrictions in September 2020. When exactly were the social distancing & mask guidelines "relaxed" in Florida? Were they not "relaxed" in 2020 or pre-June 2021? Also, when did they close & open schools in 2020? 2021?

3) What evidence do you have that people became more vigilant with social distancing in Florida?

4) How did Florida bring the cases down 79% from their peak about 6 weeks ago?

The state of Florida is now 49th in daily new cases in the US, trailing only Hawaii for the lowest 7-day average of cases: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

How have they "controlled the virus" so well in these past ~6 weeks?

Was it school closures, universal statewide masking, lockdowns, college football postponed, strict vaccine passports...?