Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Homelessness is only a problem because itís a convenient option

Make it illegal to camp on sidewalks/streets/parks.

Default Re: Homelessness is only a problem because itís a convenient option

I would seriously dispute living on the street is "convenient". I assume a lot of homeless people would much prefer having access to food and shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I would seriously dispute living on the street is "convenient". I assume a lot of homeless people would much prefer having access to food and shelter.
    In my experience 90% of homeless are junkies. These tent cities aka open air drug markets are convenient

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner View Post
    In my experience 90% of homeless are junkies. These tent cities aka open air drug markets are convenient
    That's not true, unfortunately.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

I'm sure most don't choose to be homeless. It's a vicious cycle: there isn't one state in the US where you can earn min wage and afford rent for an average 1 bedroom. And I'd imagine you would need an address to even get a min wage job in the first place.

Make it illegal to camp on sidewalks/streets/parks.
    And how do we police this? Our prisons are already overcrowded.

College superstar Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Whatever Texas and Florida is doing do that. Homelessness has shrunk 20% in Texas over the last 10 years. Homelessness shrunk 55% in Florida over the last 10 years.

Whatever California and New York are doing, don't do that. Homelessness has increased 30%+ in both those states over last 10 years

https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/#fn

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    And how do we police this? Our prisons are already overcrowded.
    Just holding these homeless people to laws that ordinary citizens are held to is a start. Being allowed to piss and shit and leave garbage everywhere. These people don’t do homeless shelters because there are rules. There are no rules in their drug camps

Idk if anyone knows this but petty theft has been decriminalized in San Francisco. You can steal $950 worth of shit and they wonít prosecute you

Just holding these homeless people to laws that ordinary citizens are held to is a start. Being allowed to piss and shit and leave garbage everywhere. These people don’t do homeless shelters because there are rules. There are no rules in their drug camps
    Idk if anyone knows this but petty theft has been decriminalized in San Francisco. You can steal $950 worth of shit and they won’t prosecute you
    Do you know why? Because prisons are overcrowded. So again, if they can't put people in jail how do you police them? Do we start public lashing? Do we shoot them in the streets? Bring back the Guillotine?

NBA sixth man of the year FultzNationRISE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I would seriously dispute living on the street is "convenient". I assume a lot of homeless people would much prefer having access to food and shelter.]
    Of course it’s convenient, theres no responsibility or effort required. That’s what convenience is. A lot of permanently homeless are unwilling or incapable of abiding by the basic rules of living in traditional apartments/shelters. They cant/wont behave and they cant/wont work due to addiction or apathy.

People lying sprawled out on the sidewalk in broad daylight arent guys with masters degrees who worked for years but got laid off and just couldnt afford shelter anymore. Such narratives are absurd. The perpetually homeless are people who dont want to or cant meet the requirements necessary for maintaining a residence.

It’s just a reality of human variation. Not everyone is built for a “normal” life. Just like some people refuse to take time off work and relax, they wont stop until theyre billionaires. It’s two extreme ends of a spectrum. Some people’s personal priorities and values result in being homeless.

It just is what it is.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 10-14-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Theres plenty of lovely shelters. To sleep on the street in the city is low IQ

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Of course it’s convenient, theres no responsibility or effort required. That’s what convenience is. A lot of permanently homeless are unwilling or incapable of abiding by the basic rules of living in traditional apartments/shelters. They cant/wont behave and they cant/wont work due to addiction or apathy.

People lying sprawled out on the sidewalk in broad daylight arent guys with masters degrees who worked for years but got laid off and just couldnt afford shelter anymore. Such narratives are absurd. The perpetually homeless are people who dont want to or cant meet the requirements necessary for maintaining a residence.

It’s just a reality of human variation. Not everyone is built for a “normal” life. Just like some people refuse to take time off work and relax, they wont stop until theyre billionaires. It’s two extreme ends of a spectrum. Some people’s personal priorities and values result in being homeless.

It just is what it is.
    Well, you and I differ on what convenient is. I would never consider living on the street, being exposed to the elements, completely at risk to being attacked 24 hours a day while not having regular access to food to be convenient in any way, shape or form.

Your narratives are no better than the ones you ridicule. The truth is there are multiple reasons why someone could end up homeless; mental illness, drug addiction, losing their job, an unexpected financial hardship or setback. As much as people would like to stereotype homeless people as being lazy drug addicts, I'd bet there are plenty of regular, hard working people one bad event away from ending up on the streets themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Theres plenty of lovely shelters. To sleep on the street in the city is low IQ
    Well, the welfarefan used to until he got himself a motel 6.