Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2020-21 regular season

https://www.deseret.com/2021/12/2/22...mean-utah-jazz

“If you had a previous injury, that may indicate that the ligaments have healed stretched out, that there’s some instability of the ligaments,” Jung said. “If the ligaments are more lax or flexible it allows the bones to essentially move out of position when he rolls his ankle.”

That could become a chronic problem according to Jung. But, since surgery isn’t an option being pursued as of yet, that could mean that there isn’t significant stretching or instability with Azubuike’s ligaments.

No matter the case, Azubuike is looking at another season mostly spent rehabbing an ankle injury. That rehab and a timeframe could end up being similar to last season’s.

“Obviously there’s enough stretching of the ligaments that it’s more than just your run-of-the-mill sprain,” Jung said. “So you would expect the timeframe of at least a very bad ankle sprain. But it also depends on what ligaments are injured and then how quick he’s able to get stability back in the joints, as well as strength and range of motion.”
    looking like another Dante Exum. Hopefully Zanik will know when to cut the leash umlike Lindsey continuing to double down on the horrible Exum pick

https://saltcityhoops.com/november-r...m-a-9-6-month/

Voter fatigue could be a significant obstacle, but Gobert is still the Vegas favorite. Anthony Davis is the next closest by some Vegas oddsmakers’ estimations, but the Lakers are scuffling and Davis has not looked as dominant on the defensive end. But awards are narrative driven, and if the Lakers turn it around, no team absorbs more spotlight, and Davis could win major storyline points. Draymond Green appears to be Rudy’s biggest competition at this point. The Warriors share the league’s best record and best defense. Draymond has been phenomenal. While Rudy is once again dominating in all sorts of categories, the Jazz may need to match the Warriors’ league-wide rankings to hold the crown. Especially when you factor in the storylines surroundings the Golden State’s resurgence and voter fatigue.
    I'd be surprised if he gets it even if he's better than ever. Might not get All NBA with Minnesota not sucking either despite being better offesnively too

Next is Donovan Mitchell. He’s another All-Star lock. If his 3-point shooting was up to normal we’d be talking about him a lot more. From a numbers standpoint, he’s not too far from last season, where he was a legit All-NBA candidate until his injury. He’s doing some things better this year, including rim finishing and perimeter defense (his steal rate is at an all-time high). He’s shown flashes of better decision making, despite some lapses where he tries to match hot-shooting opponents shot-for-shot. His 3-point shooting should normalize, and Don will hit a hot streak that launches him back into the All-NBA conversations, and maybe beyond. It’s also worth noting that Mitchell is playing about a minute less per game. His scoring stacks up much more favorably against the league’s elite when you use per 36 minutes or per 100 possessions comparisons.
    nice to be an all star lock and not even have to show up until January

And lastly, Snyder is always a deserving candidate for Coach of the Year, but this award often goes to the most surprising team, and it will be hard for the Jazz to surprise anyone this season after finishing with the best record.
    COTY!!!

This may just be a roster issue. Mitchell and Conley are smaller players; Clarkson has never been a defensive player; and Ingles has looked slow. Look, every team has weaknesses, and the Jazz may be good enough everywhere else to overcome this. With a healthy Mitchell and Conley, they probably are. But if it continues to be a big enough weakness, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Jazz shop one of their backup guards for a perimeter stopper.
    Clarkson needs to go. Need a starting 4. Move O'Neale to the wing and Bojan to the bench

We’re a few weeks away from many players becoming eligible for trade. It’s clear that the Jazz have a perimeter defense problem, but is it bad enough that the roster needs a shakeup? Now is the time to evaluate as we get close to trade season.
    roster shakeup and new head coach

Jazz fans are right to be excited about Gay. There’s was tempered enthusiasm before his debut given his 35 years of age and the team’s weakness at the point of attack, but Gay has been nothing but exceptional in his first seven games. He’s averaging 11 points, 5 rebounds, knocking down two and half 3s per game at a 53% clip. He provides length and just plays the right way. It’s hard to ask for much more. But actually — I’m curious how much more the Jazz will ask for him come playoff time. He’s playing 19 minutes per game now, which feels like a good amount for a player with his mileage. But could he be a closer, playing 30+ minutes in the playoffs? If he keeps up this play, the Jazz may need that from him.
    would be great if he could give you 30 minutes but hasn't done that in 5 years. Low 20's seem more likely

https://thejnotes.com/2021/12/03/don...nse-utah-jazz/

Should Donovan Mitchell run this Utah Jazz offense?
    ideally their offense would be built around Mitchell and Gobert pick and roll but he's not ready. Conley and Ingles should have the ball not Mitchell and Clarkson. Unfortunately that won't change unless the coach and roster do

The concept of a “point guard” has changed radically over the past few years. Gone are the days of John Stockton when a floor general’s first, second and third responsibility was to set up their teammates. In today’s NBA, point guards score, and few players in the league do that as well as Donovan Mitchell.
    Conley can score and make his teammates better

In other words, Mitchell is a more efficient offensive player when he’s not deferring to the long-time floor general. Conventional wisdom may dictate that Mitchell is a shooting guard, but in the modern context, we can do away with those labels. Donovan Mitchell is a lead guard, and at this stage in his career, Mike Conley may not be.
    The offense is better with Conley no doubt

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/five-t...w-early-season

Utah can play up to 10 players, all of whom are current starters or started at some point in the last 2-3 seasons. That sort of depth is unparalleled when you can combine Paschall, Whiteside, and Gay with reigning sixth many of the year Jordan Clarkson and runner-up Joe Ingles — that five alone could start in the league.
    too bad Clarkson sucks, Ingles looks out of shape and Whiteside is Whiteside

https://thejnotes.com/2021/12/02/ran...-jazz-lineups/

If Utah Jazz Head Coach Quin Snyder deserves credit for one thing (side note: he deserves credit for a lot of things) it might be his ability to recognize what works, and stick with it.
    too bad he doesn't try something else when it's not working or trying to to find something that works better

The Jazz have leaned increasingly on four-out lineups featuring a conventional rim protector in the middle during his tenure, with considerable success. This year, many observers thought Snyder might deviate from his formula, particularly with the team’s offseason acquisition of potential small ball center Rudy Gay. So far he’s stuck to his preferred script. Spoiler alert: all 5 of the most used Utah Jazz lineups in 2021-22 so far feature either Rudy Gobert or Hassan Whiteside at the center position.
    many observers haven't been paying attention

Wherever you land on that debate, it seems evident one of them will have to come off the bench, as 3-wing lineups are not working for the Jazzmen. As per CleaningtheGlass, this grouping has a -4.7 differential, good for the 23rd percentile in the NBA.
    Bojan is the guy to bench. Need a starting 4 not Ingles

For whatever reason, this group particularly struggles on the defensive end. The 118.4 points they allow per 100 possessions rank in the league’s 7th percentile (per CleaningtheGlass). Snyder should probably look to this group as seldom as possible, perhaps exclusively in the interest of fatigue management.
    no Gobert

Jared Butler on seeing limited playing time with Donovan Mitchell, Mike Conley Jr. and Rudy Gobert: “Well, it definitely took a pride shot and coming to grounds with my situation because you know, coming to a veteran team — it’s just like if I’m a freshman coming into Baylor last year and expecting to play me over Davion Mitchell or [MaCio] Teague… it’s just unlikely for anybody in their right mind would think that. So for me, it’s just been trying to understand my situation but at the same time still believe in myself because I know what I’m capable of and I know if I was on another team with a different situation, I KNOW I would be getting more playing time. So that’s just been my focus and just trying to stay ready and continue to get better because I know my time is coming and basketball is a long season so, that’s just been my focus.”

– via Bally Sports

you're not playing over Clarkson either and he sucks. That is the reality

Default Re: 2021-22 regular season Utah Jazz news, notes and game coverage

https://kslsports.com/473994/473994/

SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Jazz downed the Boston Celtics 137-130 in arguably their best win of the season.
    130 points and their best win of the year!

Ironically, what Gay has done best with the Jazz is a lot of what Georges Niang did last year, he just brings more experience, a bigger frame, and a little more confidence looking for his shot.
    Niang didn't lack confience

Chema de Lucas: Ex NBA Dante Exum, close to signing a three-month deal with Barça. Expected to be in Spain next week.
    – via Twitter chemadelucas

Chema de Lucas: Ex NBA Dante Exum, close to signing a three-month deal with Barça. Expected to be in Spain next week.
    – via Twitter chemadelucas

https://www.slcdunk.com/2021/12/5/22...ey-ricky-rubio

Today’s game will showcase a matchup of one of the best centers in the league in the last couple years in Rudy Gobert, and the future of the center position in Evan Mobley. Mobley has been terrorizing both opposing offenses and defenses all year long. Before going down with an injury a few weeks ago Mobley was right in the thick of the ROY conversation. The Cavs struggled in his absence, at one point losing 5 games in a row. Since his return last week, the Cavs have ripped off four straight. He changes so much about what the Cavs do, especially defensively. He’s insanely gifted with skills that a big man simply should not have.
    couple of years?

He's not a starter. He's a energy guy off them bench ideally. Just like Hood is a 6th man not a starter. Starting because Gobert can carry the team regardless isn't a starter on a good team

Team should probably thank Gobert for covering some very lackluster defensive efforts against the Cavs.