View Poll Results: Who is higher all-time?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bill Walton

22 70.97%
  • Anthony Davis

9 29.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Higher All-Time: Bill Walton or Anthony Davis

AD, easily. Not even close.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Vote AD, but it looks like Walton is gonna take it.

The funny thing is, if we are just talking about peaks, these 2 players are good example of how stats don't tell the whole story, peak Walton was insanely better than the stats say, ATG defender, GOAT passing big man at the time, and a great leader, had all the intangibles.

AD despite putting up Shaq like numbers at times didn't translate to wins, hell just look how lost the Lakers currently look without LeBron. it's pretty clear his on court impact is a step behind guys like Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem, etc but there is no shame in that.

AD will never live up to his potential. Tie.

If you are on the roster but not playing then you are hurting the team. That was Walton most of the time.

Not sure that either belong in the top fifty, but Walton comfortably outranks AD in my book.

I don't care how short-lived his superstardom was; all that matters is he wasn't a fluke. A player should only need to sustain his greatness for a few seasons, as Walton did, to cement his player profile, and it's obvious the Big Red would've done so for even longer if it weren't for his rash of injuries.

Peak-wise, he has a cogent case over AD. As 1987 Lakers explained, the statsheet undermeasures Walton's impact. There are just too many unquantifiable intangibles like his off-ball movement, on-court communication, defense, locker-room leadership, and pick-and-roll mastery—a technique he was especially state-of-the-art at in the '70s and '80s. Even as his health deteriorated, he compensated for it with all his cerebral skills to remain as one of the game's most impactful bigmen.

AD is easily the more prolific scorer and defensively comparable, but he's not nearly the same offensive anchor. Walton's masterful playmaking and intangibles in themselves were enough to lend his team a championship-level offense, whereas AD needs an actual orchestrator like LeBron/Westbrook or a well-coached system.

Hardware-wise, Walton also gets the nod. He's won both MVPs, and he likely would also have a DPOY in that trove if the award had been inaugurated by his peak.

Only ironclad case for AD is longevity. Even then, it's easy to overweight that: you don't know how much more durable previous generations would be with modern medicotechnology, nutrition, and training, and vice-versa. It's a safe bet Walton's knees and foot would be more treatable today, whereas AD's injuries would have harsher residual effects decades ago.

AD will go down as the greater player, if he hasn't already, by the general public's criteria, but if I were a GM with the option to build around either in their respective eras? I'd easily choose Walton.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    AD, easily. Not even close.
    It is 17-6 so yes you are right in that it is not close

Quote Originally Posted by Honor Boost View Post
    It is 17-6 so yes you are right in that it is not close
    Portland was still a Playoff team without Walton if impact is the only argument you have. Even then, Davis took a lottery Lakers team to a championship the following year so he's achieved what Walton did, and as a 1st option and not a 3rd one. Davis is one of the most versatile big men ever and his stats are not a fluke. Just because he's not flashy does not mean that he doesn't have any impact. This forum is heavily pro-Lebron so I'm not surprised that the poll is that lopsided.

And even if you give the peak/skill argument to Walton, Davis has played more games, has made way more All-Star/All-NBA/All-Defensive teams and has the stats on his side. People underrate just how versatile Davis is as a big man.

Portland was still a Playoff team without Walton if impact is the only argument you have. Even then, Davis took a lottery Lakers team to a championship the following year so he's achieved what Walton did, and as a 1st option and not a 3rd one. Davis is one of the most versatile big men ever and his stats are not a fluke. Just because he's not flashy does not mean that he doesn't have any impact. This forum is heavily pro-Lebron so I'm not surprised that the poll is that lopsided.

And even if you give the peak/skill argument to Walton, Davis has played more games, has made way more All-Star/All-NBA/All-Defensive teams and has the stats on his side. People underrate just how versatile Davis is as a big man.

Delusional. Better not go on other boards if you think ISH of all places is pro LeBron lmao

Blazers were 15-26 without Walton in '77 & '78. With him? 92-31, that is massive impact right there, '78 in particular they completely fell apart without him.

And that isn't the only argument, you can actually run your offense through Walton and his defense was a notch better. I'm just talking peaks here, I voted AD, but he wishes he could carry a team the way Walton did when he was healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Blazers were 15-26 without Walton in '77 & '78. With him? 92-31, that is massive impact right there, '78 in particular they completely fell apart without him.

And that isn't the only argument, you can actually run your offense through Walton and his defense was a notch better. I'm just talking peaks here, I voted AD, but he wishes he could carry a team the way Walton did when he was healthy.
    I love how in that post he made zero mention of Walton's best teammate on that title team being Maurice Lucas, while AD won with LeBron James

18 to 6, close this stupid ass thread up

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I love how in that post he made zero mention of Walton's best teammate on that title team being Maurice Lucas, while AD won with LeBron James
    Bingo

What does that have to do with anything? The talent level is vastly different between the two eras lmao. Kareem's Lakers had the best record in the NBA at just 53 wins and he had 0 all-star teammates and missed his best teammate for 2 home games in that series.

Serious playground baller

Walton is comfortably the better player but AD already has the better career.

Overall I'd give it to AD

Yea, I forgot to point that out. "took a lottery Lakers team to a championship the following year so he's achieved what Walton did".

All you can do is roll your eyes when you read that statement. Not to mention Walton went up against a loaded Sixers team in the Finals and still came out on top. What Walton did that year is one of the biggest carry jobs ever.

That Sixers team had 3 All-star level players in their prime, and a bunch of quality role players, one of those role players went on to average 30 points a game immediately after he left the Sixers.

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

Currently its Walton, and it is really close.
    But Davis has 4 years of his prime left, and possibly 7 years left as a player.
    Davis will surpass him by a wide margin.