Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Any PC builders here? Need some help

here's a nice little subreddit where you can find daily deals on components if you end up building your own. you can sort the results by type in the right hand column. should be some good ones this week.

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

It looks as if the CPU cooler you selected comes with thermal paste. If you look at the picture where all the little fiddly bits are laid out, there's a syringe looking thing just below the cooler itself. I'm pretty sure that syringe contains thermal paste, and not insulin or meth.

Also, will the two USB ports your case provides be enough? I know your mobo choice has plenty of rear USB ports, but depending on your office setup, those can be a pain to get to. My case has 4 front USB ports, and I usually have three or sometimes even all four of them in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Btw there are only two or three "hard" parts of putting a PC together.

3) Plugging in the wires into the motherboard for the front control panel are a PITA if you have big hands/fingers and can perhaps be somewhat difficult to interpret on the mobo because the lettering is so small.
    This. This is the worst. It was a PITA when I did my first build 20 years ago, and it was a PITA last month when I tore my current system down to rearrange the fans. All the other connections only plug in one way, and they lock in place once you've got them properly seated. Case-Mobo connectors? Hope you plug them in correctly, because it's really really easy to shift them over one pin and then nothing works. And if you're not careful while you're doing your cable management, you can easily pull them all out and then have to plug them in all over again.

Definitely do not buy a prebuilt... it might seem like the easier or better option right now, but if you go down that road I would bet the farm that sooner or later you will regret that you didnt build your own.

IMO that RX 580 will serve you just fine until you can find a modern card that isnt obscenely overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    Definitely do not buy a prebuilt... it might seem like the easier or better option right now, but if you go down that road I would bet the farm that sooner or later you will regret that you didnt build your own.

IMO that RX 580 will serve you just fine until you can find a modern card that isnt obscenely overpriced.
    I've been watching some prebuilt reviews and teardowns on YouTube. Some funny stuff. So far, the highest rating seems to be "Doesn't Totally Suck".

Saw a basketball once

I know this is not what you need help with but if you're after a good desk pad, I recommend https://www.galenleather.com/products/leather-desk-pad It covers a significant part of my desk, resulting in room for both my keyboard and mouse

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    here's a nice little subreddit where you can find daily deals on components if you end up building your own. you can sort the results by type in the right hand column. should be some good ones this week.

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
    ya that sub is awesome. r/hardwareswaps if ur into used stuff