Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Why was Kobe infamously “inefficient?”

He just wasn't an great shooter, period.

A player's free throw percentage is a good indicator of his shooting.

Kobe's was always in the LOW 80%. Great shooters' free throw percentages are in the high 90%, and elite shooters are above 90%.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

When Kobe won? He wasn't inefficient. He mainly lost when he wasn't. The rate at which you put the ball in the basket matters.

He did shot jack a lot, but it was enough to where he did have his down moments but his aggressiveness allowed highs on the other end of the spectrum.

We're talking about a guy who the only MVP winners ever to win more championships were MJ and Bill Russell. That's nuts. And some of yall act like he didn't contribute to winning even after Shaq was gone. And Kobe still won after that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
    He just wasn't an great shooter, period.

A player's free throw percentage is a good indicator of his shooting.

Kobe's was always in the LOW 80%. Great shooters' free throw percentages are in the high 90%, and elite shooters are above 90%.
    at first along time ago when I heard about this correlation I was skeptical but the more and more I tested it, it’s pretty legit.

that being said guys who shoot low 80’s are usually pretty damn good shooters. and for kobe and some others I would make a slight exception when a lot of their level of difficulty of shots are so high, other factors come into play besides pure shooting ability.

so while I do think FT% is a great metric to gauge overall shooting ability, In Kobe’s case with his shot selection and physical talents and coordination, coupled with top tier work ethic… Kobe was in fact a better real game shooter then his FT% indicates….and with all that being said his lackluster FG% is a testimony to his extremely difficult shot selection.

analytic guys don’t take into account the other side of the double edged sword with this play style. They only take into account the fictional projections of getting a better shot without acknowledging the extra defensive pressure a player like kobe generates when he’s that type of hair trigger weapon.

He was quite an efficient rapist

5-time NBA All-Star

Kobe wasn't a bad shooter but with him having one of the best coaches ever and what should be the most hours practicing, it should have been better. His gym hours are legendary but his shooting never was. Dude was dedicated and its hard to say anybody was more dedicated. Phil Jackson knew that triangle inside out as did Kobe. Its rare to have 15 year advantage with a coach and winning offensive system. A slowed down, jump shooting Jordan shot better than Kobe did in the same system. Kobe was very consistent and shot close to 45% most of his career. If he was always taking tough shots it was because of the way he played. AI was the same way - his height was a major factor tho.