Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Jimmy Butler - most underrated player?

When you combine scoring, rebounding his position, defense, and passing as a package, Butler is top 10 all time peak-prime wise at the SF or SG. In terms of combining all those elements the best. And whichever position you choose to slot him in. I don't think A LOT of people realize that. So I do think Butler is hella underrated.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Most underrated player? I'll second that.

Him not being an all star last year was one of the most egregious snubs ever.

And he should have won FMVP in 2020.
    I see what you're doing here but you need to pick your spots better.

Butler is an MVP level player so obviously hes underrated. People just don't understand how good he actually is.

Jimmy Butler had an all time great finals performance in 2020 that I am not sure any of Jordan's opponent's ever had.

Now we know it was not a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Jimmy Butler had an all time great finals performance in 2020 that I am not sure any of Jordan's opponent's ever had.

Now we know it was not a mistake.
    Bran's match-ups (KD, Butler, Kawhi) have ATG performances against him in the Finals because he's not a good defensive player as he spends his energy maximizing his averages to the detriment of his own team. A role player like Kawhi eviscerated him in 3 straight games in 2014. KD shot over 60% when guarded by Bran in single coverage. Butler was doing his MJ impersonation until the Lakers put AD on him in Game 6 and shut him down.

Chuck had a great Finals series in '93, Magic was great in '91 too.

Bran was even greater in 2020 than the great Jimmy Butler performance.

Alls well that ends well.

Ill take Jimmy Butler over Clyde drexler anyday.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Yes he is. Plays offense with patience and intelligence while being a lockdown defender. Elite efficiency on both ends and is tough intangibly.

In the Clyde thread oltimers were making it seem like it wasn't close. What does drexler do that butler doesn't? He's a little faster and that's about it. But Butler is a more skilled shooter, dribbler etc. And arguably tougher defensively.

Not sure Clyde is even faster. Jimmy is as quick as a cat. I think Clyde is a better leaper and thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    What do you call a guy who has been in the league 10+ years and an all-star 5 times? FYI, If he was the only one responsible for the turnaround there would be no need to obtain Lowry or aquire Olidipo PJ Tucker.
    You just proved how underrated he is. He deserves more accolades than many above him. And the Heat made the Finals without Lowry or Oladipo. With trash pre season odds. So Butler definitely is having a major effect.

Quote Originally Posted by PeroAntic View Post
    Not sure Clyde is even faster. Jimmy is as quick as a cat. I think Clyde is a better leaper and thats about it.
    From what I've seen Clyde did seem to be extremely graceful gliding down the court especially in transition. Butler is more herky jerky and tries to out muscle people. And it works... He's definitely underrated imo. I would take Butler over top ranked SGs like Iverson easily.

I was surprised how many people thought this guy was a villain after the Minny situation. And then The Heat got to the finals people were just calling it a fluke. So yea he does get underrated.

NBA All-star

hasn't played more than 58 games the last 3 seasons, doesn't that amount of games played automictically disqualifies him for multiple awards

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

He has an argument for best player in the playoffs so far. Dude’s a gamer.

Jokic Stan

Jimmy is the complete opposite of "empty stats". Dude is a legit superstar.

His scoring numbers can seem underwhelming which is why people underrate him, but his advance stats have been great for a while. Also he's only recently peaked, very late into his career. Granted this current era is easy to put up offensive numbers, but JB also passes the eye test enough for me. My only complaint is he gets too many easy free throws/calls.

Jokic Stan

Bumping this again.

JB is a real superstar. No empty stats at all. He raises his game come playoff time (he wasn't healthy in 2021).

The only thing negative I will say about him is he for sure gets more free throws than he deserves. His free throw rate % is Harden-esque.