Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you a victim of the culture war?

I have tried, but I seriously cannot be friends with a far-leftist. It's just constant clashing and having to hear dumb shit for no reason. This country is more divided than ever....I can't be friends with 20% of the population because the things I say and believe make them want to murder me.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Default Re: Are you a victim of the culture war?

Idk what to say if you’re losing friends over politics. It sounds like you’re just too invested at this point. And what makes you so absolutely sure that your opinions are even right? Have you ever considered that your personal experiences are extremely limited so your views aren’t even based on that much? I don’t mean you specifically, I’m including myself as well. It’s a big problem when the left automatically writes off anything a conservative believes and vice versa, no one broadens their views and instead just stews in their echo chambers and get pushed further into their political corners.

But hey, at the end of the day do you. They’re just opinions, as long as you’re not harming anyone you’re entitled to them.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    Idk what to say if you’re losing friends over politics. It sounds like you’re just too invested at this point. And what makes you so absolutely sure that your opinions are even right? Have you ever considered that your personal experiences are extremely limited so your views aren’t even based on that much? I don’t mean you specifically, I’m including myself as well. It’s a big problem when the left automatically writes off anything a conservative believes and vice versa, no one broadens their views and instead just stews in their echo chambers and get pushed further into their political corners.

But hey, at the end of the day do you. They’re just opinions, as long as you’re not harming anyone you’re entitled to them.
    Yes. I was a little leftist when I was young (17-24), I've done my research after being on both sides of the spectrum.

Im not losing friends, I said I cant make new ones who are idiots aka leftists because their whole world view is based on made up victimization. I can be a regular dude and crack jokes and talk about tits ass, ball, history, video games and slapping fakkit nikkas and not talk about politics at all, but the other side tends to bring it into everything.

An aunt of mine will ask men on the first date if they're democrat and will not date them if they are. I've been on roomate-finder sites and all kinds of liberals explicitly state that they dont want conservative roommates, but I havent seen those statements from the other side.
    Last edited by fsvr54; 01-22-2022 at 10:05 PM.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    Yes. I was a little leftist when I was young (17-24), I've done my research after being on both sides of the spectrum.

Im not losing friends, I said I cant make new ones who are idiots aka leftists.

An aunt of mine will ask men on the first date if they're democrat and will not date them if they are. I've been on roomate-finder sites and all kinds of liberals explicitly state that they dont want conservative roommates, but I havent seen those statements from the other side.
    wait, so your aunt won’t give a guy a chance just because of their political position and yet
    I've been on roomate-finder sites and all kinds of liberals explicitly state that they dont want conservative roommates, but I havent seen those statements from the other side.
    do you see how that’s hypocritical? You see it on the conservative side… your aunt specifically!

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    wait, so your aunt won’t give a guy a chance just because of their political position and yet do you see how that’s hypocritical? You see it on the conservative side… your aunt specifically!
    I used my aunt to give examples of both sides but also specifically on that roommate website I only saw that from one side.

Politics aren’t a big part of my life and I tend to attract like minded people

I'm in Canada, which is known to be extremely liberal but I have 0 liberal friends. I even know a lesbian that's conservative.

I think it's true that you're only friends with like minded individuals, even if you don't want to make it political.

OP is such a victim

People on both sides do the same shit. Look around this forum ffs. Some of my "conservative" friends are selfish assholes who's views have been shaped by shit on social media. It's often unbearable listening to the absolute ignorant horseshit that comes out of their mouths, but I won't turn my back on them because they've been conned into thinking black=white. I don't go out of my way to be around them but it's all good I can still have a beer and a chat with them when they come over.

Grow up.

I too tend to attract like minded people.

I'll look past it with women unless she is a fullblown involved type with a strong opinion.

Otherwise I'll shrug it off as she's just misguided, misled.

But yeah i wouldnt be mates with anyone that is stupid.

'left' in what sense of the word? your title states culture wars so i'm guessing you're talking about the social side. pink haired social justice warriors screaming about race, sexuality, gender, vaccines and masks?

or are you talking about the fiscally progressive side of the left that pushes for bigger government policies like universal health care and higher wages?

this is where politics becomes conflated and everybody hates each other without knowing why... only because of broad assumed definitions of political labels.

i'm fiscally progressive and socially conservative (or traditional,rather... the country has shifted so far left socially that having traditional values paints you as a conservative... and i'm fine having that label because i can't associate myself at all with the social left). people's views are a lot more nuanced than other people assume given any particular subject and only blind flag waving partisans are 100% on one side of the spectrum; and when that's the case, their opinions are meaningless.

focus on what you can agree on with people. form that bond first and then choose to listen and understand why they hold the differing views they do. listen first, then attempt to educate. educate, don't bark.

most people hold the views that they do because of life experiences and how they were raised and who they grew up around. if you sit down and hear out someone's life story, you find yourself having a hard time giving them shit for things in a general sense because once you've listened, there becomes a lot more to it than just that (generalizations).

my two cents, anyway.
    Last edited by diamenz; 01-23-2022 at 11:08 AM.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

In my experience most of the divide is online. Out in the real world I never see Trumpers in red hats arguing with green haired liberals. In my day to day interactions with coworkers or at various businesses I don't bring up politics or view people in through that lens. I also don't know anyone who talks about or obsesses on the vaccine 24/7 like you see in here. I've never seen anyone call someone else a sheep or an antivax in real life or judge someone else by their vaccination status, I only see that online. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in real life, I'm just saying in my experience this great divide feels like it's internet driven.

I think extremists on both sides suck. If you obsess on Trump or Biden either for or against I probably don't want to hang out with you. There are better things to spend time on.

Although I live in blue Massachusetts, I live in a suburb that leans right of center. My friends are all conservatives. Politics is not a big part of my everyday life. Its an internet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    OP is such a victim

People on both sides do the same shit. Look around this forum ffs. Some of my "conservative" friends are selfish assholes who's views have been shaped by shit on social media. It's often unbearable listening to the absolute ignorant horseshit that comes out of their mouths, but I won't turn my back on them because they've been conned into thinking black=white. I don't go out of my way to be around them but it's all good I can still have a beer and a chat with them when they come over.

Grow up.
    Way to get triggered, phakkit. I dont believe in victimhood. This was about promoting conversation.

You dummies are way too fixated on politics

I'd like to know what are some of these points of contention that are so appalling that you cannot interact with another with whom you disagree?

I'm much more conservatively inclined relative to the majority of the people I encounter but it isn't a problem since most are apolitical. But even when one is political, there are very few points in their ideology that I am so strongly opposed to that I would consider them nonstarters. I find both sides have become combative and are unwilling to budge as they feel it an attack on them personally. I'm not saying that some of these principles are not gravely important to fight for in society. But that this has little to do with an individual sitting across from me.

And I understand that I'm feeding into the false dichotomy of right vs left but I wanted to simplify what I was saying.