Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Is 2000 Tiger Woods the Golf Goat?

Tiger = Goat

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

here is a taylor made interview with him : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akGp0Q8NJms

2018 ish ??

amazing testing 60 drivers to look for the perfect feel. (mind plowing) lol

Banned

Tiger was like Jordan, better peak. Jack was like Lebron, better career. Now imagine if Jordan had otc problems (ok let's check that box) and injuries limiting him to less rings than Lebron. Lebron would then be the undisputed GOAT

No. Current John Daley. Guy just doesn’t give a fvxk

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I wonder if Kenny just makes up retarded arguments for the fun of it, or if he somehow believes what he actually says.

One year wonder? '02 is as good of a year as any golfer has ever had, and his '05-'08 streak was better than any of Nicklaus'.

14 majors
    6 wins
    4 2nd place finishes
    Another top 3 & top 4

14 majors and he finished top 4 in 12 of them, top 2 in 10, winning nearly half And keep in mind, he had to miss the last 2 majors in '08 due to injury, so he did all that in 3.5 years. So yeah, not that far off from his 2000 level.

Nicklaus is the GOAT, but Tiger's 2000-08 is the GOAT peak, one which will honestly never be topped.
    Tiger also held the #1 spot the longest of all times consecutively. I think i read it was 300 weeks straight at #1.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
    Tiger = Goat

Chills everytime

I think Ben Hogan deserves a mention... I dunno if I would call him the GOAT but theres no doubt he has a bit of an argument in his favor. While doesnt have as many accolades as Nicklaus or Tiger, that is partially because he played in a VERY different era, and partially because he missed out on several of his prime years due to things like WW2 and a horrific car crash.

Hogans win rate in the majors was 19% (9 wins in 16 attempts), which is one of the greatest of all time (Tigers win rate is 22% while Jack was at 15%). What makes Hogans win rate truly crazy tho, is the fact that unlike Tiger and Jack he was not a very good golfer for the first decade of his career - he started playing professionally in 1930 but he didnt win his first major until 1946. The reason Hogans win rate is so high is because from 1948 to 1953 he absolutely dominated, winning 8 of the 11 majors he participated in, a feat that is even more preposterous considering his near fatal car wreck was in 1949... and im not kidding when I say the wreck was near fatal, his car collided head-on with a greyhound bus, and he broke his pelvis, collarbone, several ribs, and his right leg was broken in several places (including multiple breaks of the same bone). Lots of the doctors thought Hogan would never walk again after that wreck, yet he not only walked again but somehow went on to win 6 majors in 9 attempts between 1950 and 1953.

Anyway the reason Hogan went from being a below average pro golfer to the most dominant in the world is because he was obsessed with swing mechanics, and over time he developed a swing that was so pure that ~80 years later its still widely considered the gold standard of golf swings. If you go to your local course and take a golf lesson from their pro, they are almost certainly going to be teaching you mechanics that were developed by Hogan or based on his ideas. This swing is another one of his arguments for GOAT imo, because of that swing Hogan has had more of an impact on the game of golf than any other player ever. Tiger got lots of people interested in golf for the first time, but when those people went out to take their first golf lesson they werent learning Tigers swing, they were learning Hogans.
    Last edited by Nanners; 08-16-2022 at 07:45 AM.