Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Kobe Bryant vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

Who ranks higher in the all time lists??

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

both higher than bran

College star

Hakeem

NBA Superstar

Ranked higher? Kobe.

Who would I rather have on my team? Depends on the rest of the squad.

Who would I start a team with? Hakeem, but it depends on the era. If it's now then probably Kobe.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Ranked higher? Kobe.

Who would I start a team with? Hakeem, but it depends on the era. If it's now then probably Kobe.
    if it was about who you would draft then I would pick wilt, Shaq, kareem, Hakeem with the top 4 picks. that's just more about rarity of greatness per position and how much of a necessity a great big would be in an alltime fantasy league

Hakeem is in my top 5 skilled players list but even then he's below kobe who is number 1 and also below kobe in terms of achievements/resume where he's top 5/6 and Hakeems 10/11

for all time drafting Hakeems 4th and kobes around top 10 after all the dominant offensive and defensive bigs are taken

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

The Dream. He was way more dominant.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    The Dream. He was way more dominant.
    na that's retarded. Kobe probly has like 100 more 40 point games, 10 times as many 50 point games. and more scored in one half than Hakeem ever dropped in regulation plus overtime.

the only guys as dominant as kobe all time are wilt and MJ. and shaq for a few finals series vs bums

Hakeem was great but he couldn't call his own number every time up the floor...

more valuable with both ends combined on a nightly bases? perhaps. maybe for a few years. but kobes level of dominance is basically 1 man show type shit. Hakeem has to pass out if a double team. Kobe doesn't

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_Connor View Post
    na that's retarded. Kobe probly has like 100 more 40 point games, 10 times as many 50 point games. and more scored in one half than Hakeem ever dropped in regulation plus overtime.

the only guys as dominant as kobe all time are wilt and MJ. and shaq for a few finals series vs bums

more valuable with both ends combined on a nightly bases? perhaps. maybe for a few years. but kobes level of dominance is basically 1 man show type shit. Hakeem has to pass out if a double team. Kobe doesn't
    Giannis is a lesser scorer and defender than Hakeem yet he won last years championship. Kobe had more ways to score but at 45% while Hakeem was a 50-53% FG scorer at over 25 PPG. Defensively Hakeem was also better. Trade Hakeem for Kobe on his Rockets and they don't win the ring. Its not close really...

NBA Superstar

Yes he could.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    Giannis is a lesser scorer and defender than Hakeem yet he won last years championship. Kobe had more ways to score but at 45% while Hakeem was a 50-53% FG scorer at over 25 PPG. Defensively Hakeem was also better. Trade Hakeem for Kobe on his Rockets and they don't win the ring. Its not close really...
    1. I dunno why you're bringing up giannis

2. the bucks made it to the finals without giannis. neither the rockets or Lakers make the finals without Kobe or Hakeem. even during shaqs peak 2000 season. they lose to Portland in game 7. and again I have no idea why you're bringing up this era or a player from this era. total low IQ take

3. like I said. bigs are more efficient/consistent yes but they can't go off for 40/50/60 whenever they want. they're way more dependent on guys getting them the ball and shooters keeping guys from doubling them. Kobe never needed a strategy to get his. 1 on 5 he's getting 40. he can get an open shot whenever over anyone. that's dominance. what you're referring to is efficiency up to a certain allotment. if Hakeem forced it he would struggle.

4. yes hakeems more valuable on defense. but let's be honest. no big man is more skilled than a perimeter defender that has to pick up a guy full court. and the game itself is 100 time harder as a main ball handler.

I played point guard and center and believe me. it's a light day when all you gotta do is contest shots inside and run to the block each time. bigs have been getting away with murder in debates for far too long by retards that never played the game. even shaq will tell you he's not in the goat convo and kobe is with lebron and mike. bigs don't belong

Retired

Yes he could.
    then why the lack of big scoring games.

32 games of 40+
    2 games of 50+

that's like one season for Kobe and not even his best one. in 2007 he had 10 games of 50+

NBA Superstar

then why the lack of big scoring games.

32 games of 40+
    2 games of 50+

that's like one season for Kobe and not even his best one. in 2007 he had 10 games of 50+
    As you said earlier, it's different. I've watched a lot of Hakeem and he was doubled pretty much every time he touched the ball. It's easier and more practical to double a big man than a guard for obvious reasons, and Hakeem was a smart player who wouldn't force things if it wasn't necessary. By nature it's easier to take away big scoring games from a post player. But by doing so you're fvcking up your entire defense. Pick your poison. But teams in the 90s were more concerned with taking away bigs. That doesn't make the guard more dominant.

The playoffs are where it really mattered though. I'm not as concerned about a 45 point game against the Pacers or Timberwolves in February on the wrong end of a back to back. Kobe started 200 playoff games and scored 40 just 13 times. Hakeem did it 11 times in 140 games.

Kobe because he was just flat out better

Retired

As you said earlier, it's different. I've watched a lot of Hakeem and he was doubled pretty much every time he touched the ball. It's easier and more practical to double a big man than a guard for obvious reasons
    exactly. no need to go any further with this comparison. this is why bigs don't belong in goat debates cause they have a cap on how much they can do. even shaq really only broke out one time vs the clippers. most of the time a big night for shaq was 35 to 40. he couldn't get 50 barely ever

hes looked at as one of the most dominant players ever cause he averaged almost 40 in the finals vs some really poor competition. but he wasn't doing that vs sanantonio or Portland or Sacramento. they wouldn't allow it. when they played great teams kobe had to pick up his game cause you need a dynamic wing to break down a great defense. a big would just get suffocated.

College star

Ranked higher? Kobe.

On what basis? Hakeem between 1994-99 shot almost 29% from three (23-81). He was a 76% FTH shooter in his prime/peak years, and the data we have from '97-'99 ('99 being the last of his prime years) had him shooting 44% from 10-16 ft, and 46% from 16-29 ft.

Hakeem was an elite mid-range shooter who was well capable of developing the three ball as other centers in today's game did (Horford, Embiid, Jonas, Lopez, etc). Put Hakeem in this era and he's a 30/15/5/3/5 player on insane efficiency. He'd be MVP every single year.
    Last edited by HoopsNY; 02-11-2022 at 09:14 PM.