Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN has ranked the NBAs top 75 (or 76) players.

higher or lower means nothing once you become a top 50 or 75 of all time.
    This list is the greatest of all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    this list really doesn't need a ranking as ESPN had done ...
    But out of 75 players having Giannis ranked at 18 felt nice..

There are several I could name as bad, but the absolute worst ones

Shaq outside the top 10
    Wade at 30
    Iverson at 31
    Lucas at 46
    Harden at 50

Harden just might be the worst of the group. How an MVP & 3x scoring champ barely finishes top 50 is beyond me. He's unquestionably had a more successful career and was better relative to the league than Ray Allen ever was. Same goes for Drexler & Reggie who were in the league at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    It's crazy how they continue to rank Reggie over Clyde. Like they didn't play in the same era and Clyde was better every season they played lol.
    Yup, every single season. One of MJ's motivations was to show the doubters that he was better than Clyde in the '92 NBA Finals. It's been lost in time but Drexler was highly regarded as one of the best players in the world hence his selection for the 1992 Dream Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimmedarock View Post
    Ewing should be in the 60’s bruh.
    No way, Patrick Ewing was better than every player listed 40-59.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post

Shaq outside the top 10
    Wade at 30
    Iverson at 31
    Lucas at 46
    Harden at 50

Harden just might be the worst of the group. How an MVP & 3x scoring champ barely finishes top 50 is beyond me. He's unquestionably had a more successful career and was better relative to the league than Ray Allen ever was. Same goes for Drexler & Reggie who were in the league at the same time.
    I think Reggie and Ray get big boosts in placement from being 3pt record holders and essentially the Godfathers of the three point shot.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I presume that's what's going on there.

But they both also had a lot of high profile clutch moments, which you cannot say of Soften and Drex. I think that also gets weighed disproportionately.

Clyde is definitely getting shafted, but personally I would EASILY take Reggie or Ray Allen for my own team over Soften.

Miller's career has the biggest rose-tint to it. He was great but not all time great

7-time NBA All-Star

Pippen over Kawhi and all those players

Literal proof that the rankings are bullshit - no one was inflated by the winning spotlight more than Pippen.. Kemp and Derrick Coleman were superior basketball players, for example

Who's number 1, guys?

Made that high school varsity squad Thenameless's Avatar

Shaq outside the top 10
    Wade at 30
    Iverson at 31
    Lucas at 46
    Harden at 50

Definitely a lot of positives when discussing James Harden from a pure skills standpoint. But one can't just look at the positives. In order to see the overall picture properly, you have to take the good with the bad, and Harden comes with a lot of the stuff that you don't want if you're trying to create cohesion and chemistry - and ultimately trying to win. I don't think putting Harden at 50 is that bad. He may have individual accolades but the ultimate goal of a professional team sport is to help your team win championships.

7-time NBA All-Star

Shaq outside the top 10
    Wade at 30
    Iverson at 31
    Lucas at 46
    Harden at 50

The media is influenced by the winning spotlight

But the reality is that if Pippen's 5 apg and mid-tier playmaking helped MJ so much, then what would an elite offensive force and goat playmaker like Stockton or Harden do?

But again... It's all about winning spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I think Reggie and Ray get big boosts in placement from being 3pt record holders and essentially the Godfathers of the three point shot.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I presume that's what's going on there.

Altho they also had a lot of high profile clutch moments, which you cannot say of Soften and Drex. I think those also get weighed disproportionately.

Clyde is definitely getting shafted, but personally I would EASILY take Reggie or Ray Allen for my own team over Soften.
    I honestly would too, they're arguably the most portable SG's of all time. But those dudes were, at best, BARELY top 10 players in the league in their primes, only making a handful of All-NBA Teams each and never being remotely close to being MVP. Harden meanwhile was a top 10 for nearly a decade, and top 5 for several seasons. There's just no way you could rank either of them over Harden, or if I'm being honest, even in the vicinity of him. He should be a good 20 spots ahead of either of them.

I honestly would too, they're arguably the most portable SG's of all time. But those dudes were, at best, BARELY top 10 players in the league in their primes, only making a handful of All-NBA Teams each and never being remotely close to being MVP. Harden meanwhile was a top 10 for nearly a decade, and top 5 for several seasons. There's just no way you could rank either of them over Harden, or if I'm being honest, even in the vicinity of him. He should be a good 20 spots ahead of either of them.

It just depends on each person’s criteria for ranking. It sounds like most people are going with production, which I understand. Obviously theres high correlation between great players and productive players.

But I just cant bring myself to put guys like Westbrook, Harden, Melo on any “greatest” list when I literally wouldnt take them on my team over any halfway decent role player with a good attitude. I dont think those three guys (and a few others) help teams accomplish the main goal, which is a title. But obviously it’s very subjective and everyone’s got a slightly different perspective. But to me when Im thinking “greatest” Im thinking impact on the team’s competitive level, not just prolific individual production.

in fairness to LeBron he beat superior team than Jordan in the NBA finals. All of the teams that Team LeBron defeated were better than Jordan's opposition. If Jordan and LeBron switch places he won't be undefeated if MJ was the Cavaliers franchise player. The last time Jordan played against a real super team Larry Bird's Celtics swept his team. By the way I switched Shaq over Kobe. Kobe is top 11th or top 12th in my personal rankings only have 1 MVP, and 2 finals MVP.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    List just came out.
    Here are some of the questionable rankings.

24 John Stockton
    29 Chris Paul
    36 Dominique Wilkins
    39 Kevin McHale
    51 Reggie Miller
    52 George Gervin
    53 Clyde Drexler
    58 Elvin Hayes
    68 Russell Westbrook
    In what way is CP3 at 29 questionable? You want him higher or lower? I think 29 is a reasonable spot for him.

I'm not mad at #58 for Elvin Hayes either.

Dominique at #36 is way to high IMO.