Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official 2022 MLB Season Discussion Thead

Calling it now. Dodgers vs Astros in the world series

Great college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    They're asked to do different things than they used to. In same manner that the 3 outcome mindset for hitters is used, the primary goal of most top pitchers these days is to miss bats. They can afford the extra pitches/decreased efficiency required because of the rise of bullpen arms.

Also because of the increase in stress on guys arms (and bodies in general) with the increase in velocity, you don't see too many guys come into an inning with much more than 95 or so pitches.
    It is important to miss bats but I wouldn't say it's the primary goal of the best pitchers except Corbin Burnes. The league average strike% for a starting pitchers lands around 66% every year. You're never going to find Verlander, Buehler, Urias, Cole, Fried, Degrom, Max, Nola, Bieber, Alcantara, Yu, etc more than a few percentage points below the average. Burnes is the exception to this rule because he gets the most swinging strikes in the game... and I don't think it's any coincidence that Shohei forced himself into that group this season by throwing more strikes.

Snell has never taken that next step. It doesn't mean he's a bad pitcher, but it doesn't lead me to believe he will ever come near another cy. The consistency aint there over 30 starts. When he's rolling like he is now... he is as good as anyone in the game.

The Dodgers are ahead of the curve here. Tyler Anderson and Andrew Heaney fit into the same profile as the rest of their starters throwing strikes at a clip higher than league average. The guys they held onto throw strikes... Buehler, Urias, Gonsolin and May. The ones that didn't last like Josiah Gray and so far Pepiot do not.

Zaidi has brought that philosophy with him to San Francisco if you look at the way he's constructing his pitching staff... both the pitchers hes bring in and the development of their own guys.

Great college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

If you like HR's Check out this video. https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/stat...88541232463873

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    They're asked to do different things than they used to. In same manner that the 3 outcome mindset for hitters is used, the primary goal of most top pitchers these days is to miss bats. They can afford the extra pitches/decreased efficiency required because of the rise of bullpen arms.

Also because of the increase in stress on guys arms (and bodies in general) with the increase in velocity, you don't see too many guys come into an inning with much more than 95 or so pitches.
    The obsession with velocity has led to more injuries and a worse product (5 inning pitchers, every other batter looking like Adam Dunn, much less balls in play). It's retarded. Even Randy Johnson rarely threw as hard as he could. But he also could go more than 5 innings without collapsing like a little bitch.

Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    The obsession with velocity has led to more injuries and a worse product (5 inning pitchers, every other batter looking like Adam Dunn, much less balls in play). It's retarded. Even Randy Johnson rarely threw as hard as he could. But he also could go more than 5 innings without collapsing like a little bitch.
    The first post you've ever posted that made sense. The other 44,179 posts are complete garbage.

7-time NBA All-Star

It’s not JUST that pitchers simply can’t go more than 6 innings these days. There is a lot of data out there regarding the 3rd time through the order. If someone is less effective in these situations then it makes sense to turn to the BP.

I can’t believe the Cardinals blew that. Ugh

Sherzer gettin rocked F this guy

Mets getting spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Mets getting spanked.
    Fatrick why did you cry to the mods to delete my thread about you and McDonald's? TISSUE SOFT

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Fatrick why did you cry to the mods to delete my thread about you and McDonald's? TISSUE SOFT
    My god man you follow me around like a pimple-faced teenage girl with braces. Give it a rest. I will not put my p3nis in your mouth no matter how much you crave it.

Whoa, who's the high pitched Indian dude on ESPN, I could've sworn it was a woman commentator

Gutless Mets

Muskgrove was talking shit to them all night and they just bent over and took it. No one even pitched inside to them or hit a Padre. Nice job Buck. We know you don't have what it takes to get your team to win it all. You're a good bus driver to build the team up...but that about it.

Doesn't help when Max Sherzer gets bombed, when he's your game 1 starter. He can go. No one gives a shit about how great you are in April.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Gutless Mets

Muskgrove was talking shit to them all night and they just bent over and took it. No one even pitched inside to them or hit a Padre. Nice job Buck. We know you don't have what it takes to get your team to win it all. You're a good bus driver to build the team up...but that about it.

Doesn't help when Max Sherzer gets bombed, when he's your game 1 starter. He can go. No one gives a shit about how great you are in April.
    Hindsight is always 20/20 but I feel like y'all should have gone deGrom in game 1. I know Max is an insane competitor and is of course a guy anyone would trust but you have to set the tone with the best pitcher in the game. Teams that take game 1 in a 3 game set win the series like 80% of the time.

As a Braves fan I don't even really hate the Mets and honestly feel bad for what we and now the Padres have done to them. Sucks.

Fvck Philly though.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Gutless Mets