Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Official 2022 MLB Season Discussion Thead

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Study his pitches. Nobody throws what he throws. 17 straight perfect innings

We have no idea if he will stay healthy or not. But if he does he's absolutely gonna dominate the MLB. And he's the best in the world right now. Just do some research
    It's not about his pitches. Obviously the stuff is there and then some. I'm not saying "hurrr MLB players can hit that shit".

It's mental on the biggest stage. Before you know how he's going to react when someone lays off his slider and then he misses on a fastball and gives up a 450 foot shot and then doesn't have 6 hitters in the lineup after that are easy outs. Lets see how he handles it when it happens more often than he's used to. And as you said, staying healthy while pitching in a far more stressful environment.

Don't call him the best in the world until he's experienced and accomplished all of that.

I used to think the same about Strasburg. And while he's turned out relatively well, YouTube highlights and numbers against inferior opponents aren't going to make you the best.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    You really want me to name the great pitchers?

They're asked to do different things than pitchers 20-30-40 years ago were asked to do. Even 10 years ago. That's an absolute fact.

You're not expected to throw 8 innings and save the bullpen anymore. Velocity around the league is higher than ever because these dudes are now going in and blowing as fast as they can to then pass it off to the bullpen. The analytics are finally catching up and the fact that the 3rd time through the order shows a serious uptick in opponent numbers across the board means now as a starter you're expected to dominate the first 18 hitters. Starting is more of a sprint than a marathon.

There's no more throwing 80% in the first couple innings to preserve yourself to go 9.

Having said all of that...there are plenty of dudes who start games now that are incredible.
    Outside of those I already named, there are no more dominant pitchers. Sure, you can rattle off Cole and DeGrom, but it's still too early on Cole and DeGrom is always injured. Yes, when he's healthy, he's dominant, but we can't include him into this conversation. All I'm saying is that the era of Pedro, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Randy Johnson, and Schilling is over.

The only thing they're asked to do differently nowadays is pitch less and to me, that's not baseball. And even if we expect a SP to go 5 or 6 innings, you still don't have as many dominant pitchers as you did before.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    It's not about his pitches. Obviously the stuff is there and then some. I'm not saying "hurrr MLB players can hit that shit".

It's mental on the biggest stage. Before you know how he's going to react when someone lays off his slider and then he misses on a fastball and gives up a 450 foot shot and then doesn't have 6 hitters in the lineup after that are easy outs. Lets see how he handles it when it happens more often than he's used to. And as you said, staying healthy while pitching in a far more stressful environment.

Don't call him the best in the world until he's experienced and accomplished all of that.

I used to think the same about Strasburg. And while he's turned out relatively well, YouTube highlights and numbers against inferior opponents aren't going to make you the best.
    I don't buy any of that. Strasburg dealt with injuries from the get-go... that's a dumb example

None of the hitters in the NPB are easy outs... they're not as powerful but they make contact and they play a different style in Japan. There's a reason it's been 28 years since their last perfect game before Roki. And he practically did it twice. That's outrageous.

Mentally he'll be fine. He lost family members to a tsunami at age 9 and threw 2 straight perfect games at age 20. His stuff isn't just good... it's outrageously good.. his fastball and cutter are better than anybody in MLB by a long shot.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Outside of those I already named, there are no more dominant pitchers. Sure, you can rattle off Cole and DeGrom, but it's still too early on Cole and DeGrom is always injured. Yes, when he's healthy, he's dominant, but we can't include him into this conversation. All I'm saying is that the era of Pedro, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Randy Johnson, and Schilling is over.

The only thing they're asked to do differently nowadays is pitch less and to me, that's not baseball. And even if we expect a SP to go 5 or 6 innings, you still don't have as many dominant pitchers as you did before.
    Just because it isn’t baseball to you doesn’t mean it isn’t baseball. Relief pitchers are very much a part of the game.

And yes, being asked to pitch less was my entire point. They’re asked to pitch less but more aggressively. So there’s a trade-off.

The 90s is the greatest era of front end pitching in the history of baseball. Not really fair to knock the guys now. But there’s plenty of guys. Maybe some you’ve never seen and barely heard of.

Check out Alek Manoah.

An actual final score today: Cubs 21, Pirates 0.

Trout is still by far the best player in baseball. Maybe ever.

Pulled the trigger on his rookie card for 2700 earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Trout is still by far the best player in baseball. Maybe ever.

Pulled the trigger on his rookie card for 2700 earlier today
    Too bad Angels suck even though they are having Trout AND Ohtani.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    Too bad Angels suck even though they are having Trout AND Ohtani.
    They're pretty good this year. Good rotation, solid bullpen, good lineup. I think they'll win the AL West

Trouts looking like he'll win MVP number 4... which should probably be 6 but whatever

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

The only sad thing about Trout is that he's never been fully healthy, so when he retires, he probably won't hold any records, but his stats will still be gaudy. I mean, I could be totally wrong. If he plays another 10 years and stays in relatively good health, he could be a 700 homer guy. He's only 35 homeruns away from 350 at age 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    The only sad thing about Trout is that he's never been fully healthy, so when he retires, he probably won't hold any records, but his stats will still be gaudy. I mean, I could be totally wrong. If he plays another 10 years and stays in relatively good health, he could be a 700 homer guy. He's only 35 homeruns away from 350 at age 30.
    Through 2019 he was mostly healthy and had the highest WAR by his age of anybody in history. Then covid happened and the calf strain that kept him out last year. He's still on a top 5 pace I believe

I think they should move him to right or left field though to lighten his load. He plays the game so hard which is great but definitely opens him up to potential injuries. I always worry when I see him sprinting on the base path like a mad man. Hes too damn big to be moving like that

Healthy George Springer may push Blue Jays to the world series this time.

NBA Superstar

Please please let Angels make the playoffs. That would be so good for baseball.

The rotation will be key obviously. Thor needs to stay healthy

The Red Sox keep finding ways to lose games. Up 4-3 with 2 outs in the 9th and you lose 10-5 in 10 innings. You can't make this stuff up.

Mets had a dramatic 7 run 9th inning last night. Have had some special moments this year, making me think it could happen.

Angels rookie pitcher Reid Detmers just threw a no-no. Trout hit two bombs and has a wRC+ of 246 on the season. That's higher than Bonds' in 02

Angels are the most exciting team in sports.