Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default Milwaukee Bucks vs. Chicago Bulls 2022 NBA playoffs series thread

Milwaukee Bucks (3) vs. Chicago Bulls (6) 2022 NBA playoffs series first round discussion thread

• Game 1: Milwaukee 93, Chicago 86
    • Game 2: Chicago 114, Milwaukee 110
    • Game 3: Milwaukee 111, Chicago 81
    • Game 4: Milwaukee 119, Chicago 95
    • Game 5: Milwaukee 116, Chicago 100

Bucks win series 4-1
    Last edited by insidehoops; 04-28-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Default Re: Milwaukee Bucks vs. Chicago Bulls 2022 NBA playoffs series thread

The Bulls—who were continuously a top-three seed out East until these Bucks leap-frogged them on March 6th—have foundered with their 8-15 post-ASB record. It’s been a tale of two halves, the second of which they’ve sorely missed Lonzo Ball (22-13 with him) in.

Injuries have certainly hampered Chicago, but a healthier roster probably wouldn’t have been a panacea for all their woes. They have consistently struggled against tougher competition, posting a 16-26 record (9-8 with their starting Point Guard) against playoff teams. It doesn’t help that their current opponent handed out four of those losses in a sweep of their regular-season series.

The Bucks have had their own struggles, and injuries aren’t completely excusatory for them, either. Ranking 24th and 20th in third-quarter and second-half net margins, respectively, consistency hasn’t quite been their watchword this season; just a few of those letup losses alone possibly made the difference between the first seed and the third seed.

They might not be liable to a first-round upset, but how they fare this series may still be predictive of their title defense. They shouldn’t feel as if they have a bye in this match-up, which they seemingly tanked for in the finale, if they’re to validate their current Vegas odds as Eastern Conference favorites.

The Bulls can still get hot against us if they tap into their three-point shooting, which ranks fourth in the league, accuracy-wise, and the Bucks will need to iron out their middling defense beyond the arc (ranked nineteenth). It’ll also be interesting to see how we scheme against Chicago’s P&R interplay (ranked fifth in screen assists) with the recently reintegrated Brook Lopez, who’s been notorious for his deep-drop coverage. If the Bulls continue underemphasizing the long ball (ranking dead-last in 3PA), however, the Bucks’ paint defense alone may be too much for DeRozan’s mid-range mastery to overcome.

Even if Chicago puts their best offense forward, what answer do they have for Giannis on the other end? It takes a concerted effort to neutralize the reigning Finals MVP (e.g., the Heat’s and 2019 Raptor’s Giannis-wall schemes), yet I don’t think there’s an individual on the Bulls with the stature and prowess to guard him.

The defending champions need to prove they have another gear for the playoffs as they did last year, and how comfortably (or laboriously) they take care of their business here may be a barometer for their quest to repeat. They may show some red flags in that regard, but none of them should be fatal for the here and now.

These Bulls might have a bright future, but title contention isn’t realistically in their cards this year; they’ve only shown flashes, and those are only enough to cop a token win or two and some moral victories at most.

Bottom-line prediction: Bucks in five.

Bulls are lucky if they can win two without lonzo ball.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

4 and out

Banned

Rooting for the Bulls of course, but Giannis is going to have his way with Vucevic.

This isn’t going be pretty. I’ll give bulls benefit of doubt and say they win a game so bucks in 5. Bucks are fully healthy for once while Bulls have imploded a bit. Lavine needs to sign that max and rehab his knee. Bulls then have to hope Patrick Williams breaks out a bit, lonzo is healthy, and vuc has a bounce back year and I’ll be interested in them next year.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Bulls might shake up the world......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    Bulls might shake up the world......
    I'd love to see that happen! Not putting my money on it though.

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    This isn’t going be pretty. I’ll give bulls benefit of doubt and say they win a game so bucks in 5. Bucks are fully healthy for once while Bulls have imploded a bit. Lavine needs to sign that max and rehab his knee. Bulls then have to hope Patrick Williams breaks out a bit, lonzo is healthy, and vuc has a bounce back year and I’ll be interested in them next year.
    I agree, healthy Bulls team would've been interesting.

i'll say it again, this series mainly along with suns-pelicans, warriors-nuggets and a few other series will be a reason this first round wont be the best ever. If the Bulls prove me wrong good for them but I dont see it

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive tried not to let the likely fools gold of the Bulls season get to me this year but if they come out and just get slutted out I’m gonna feel it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I hate having the dysfunctional star power team. Hard for me to align. I’m used to rooting for scrappy Bulls teams that are a little better than they should be post Jordan.

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

Time for the one of the two series that I expect to be a sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Naero View Post
    The Bulls—who were continuously a top-three seed out East until these Bucks leap-frogged them on March 6th—have foundered with their 8-15 post-ASB record. It’s been a tale of two halves, the second of which they’ve sorely missed Lonzo Ball (22-13 with him) in.

Injuries have certainly hampered Chicago, but a healthier roster probably wouldn’t have been a panacea for all their woes. They have consistently struggled against tougher competition, posting a 16-26 record (9-8 with their starting Point Guard) against playoff teams. It doesn’t help that their current opponent handed out four of those losses in a sweep of their regular-season series.

The Bucks have had their own struggles, and injuries aren’t completely excusatory for them, either. Ranking 24th and 20th in third-quarter and second-half net margins, respectively, consistency hasn’t quite been their watchword this season; just a few of those letup losses alone possibly made the difference between the first seed and the third seed.

They might not be liable to a first-round upset, but how they fare this series may still be predictive of their title defense. They shouldn’t feel as if they have a bye in this match-up, which they seemingly tanked for in the finale, if they’re to validate their current Vegas odds as Eastern Conference favorites.

The Bulls can still get hot against us if they tap into their three-point shooting, which ranks fourth in the league, accuracy-wise, and the Bucks will need to iron out their middling defense beyond the arc (ranked nineteenth). It’ll also be interesting to see how we scheme against Chicago’s P&R interplay (ranked fifth in screen assists) with the recently reintegrated Brook Lopez, who’s been notorious for his deep-drop coverage. If the Bulls continue underemphasizing the long ball (ranking dead-last in 3PA), however, the Bucks’ paint defense alone may be too much for DeRozan’s mid-range mastery to overcome.

Even if Chicago puts their best offense forward, what answer do they have for Giannis on the other end? It takes a concerted effort to neutralize the reigning Finals MVP (e.g., the Heat’s and 2019 Raptor’s Giannis-wall schemes), yet I don’t think there’s an individual on the Bulls with the stature and prowess to guard him.

The defending champions need to prove they have another gear for the playoffs as they did last year, and how comfortably (or laboriously) they take care of their business here may be a barometer for their quest to repeat. They may show some red flags in that regard, but none of them should be fatal for the here and now.

These Bulls might have a bright future, but title contention isn’t realistically in their cards this year; they’ve only shown flashes, and those are only enough to cop a token win or two and some moral victories at most.

Bottom-line prediction: Bucks in five.
    Great wall of text!

Bucks in 4 imo

Vuc seems to be having a good game. Already has a double-double.