Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: "The 80's was one of the worst decades for movies" - Quentin Tarantino

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Arnold is now an Oscar worthy actor, better than the likes of Pacino and Brando.
    Godfather is a movie from a different genre than The Terminator. Thus the two cannot be objectively compared. Both are at the absolute apex in terms of quality in their respective genres. That's a fact. Everything else is noise.

And you know very well that I didn't say that he was on their level... Arnold was the perfect person to play THAT ROLE of the indestructible cyborg.

Default Re: "The 80's was one of the worst decades for movies" - Quentin Tarantino

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    No the Godfather is not a better movie than the Terminator. By what metric exactly? Even by memorability and cultural impact they are close.

Local High School Star

Acting? Arnold was unbelievable in playing the cyborg. I don't think they could have found a better actor. Linda Hamilton playing Sarah Connor and whoever was the actor playing Kyle Reese were also superb. Even actors playing with minor roles like the police chief and Dr. Silverman were fantastic.

Directing? Terminator has perhaps unsurpassed directing. James freaking Cameron are you serious?

Musical score? The theme music of Terminator is one of the most recognizable of any movie ever.

Cinematography? Again top notch...

Artistry? Hmm... the concept model of the Terminator under the skin, the futuristic machines in Reese's stories and all the other sci-fi elements were amazing.

Impact? Seriously... I don't think I need to say anything here.

RottenTomatoes gave Terminator a 100% Score. Imagine thinking Terminator is not a legendary movie. You have to live under a rock or something...

Again different genres. You can compare Godfather to Scarface or Goodfellas. Comparing movies from different genres is dumb. It's like comparing Lebron and Ronaldo.
    You know what, i love Terminator as it's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time and you're making me regret it by putting it in it's place compared to Godfather

Overall, i'd pick James Cameron over Francis Coppola. Dude knew how to risk everything just to give his best. Coppola just have the better "peak". He made Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, which is probably 4 of 5 best movies of that decade

Seriously, you tell me how The Terminator theme/score is more iconic or recognizable than the Godfather?

Comparing the acting talents of Arnold & Linda Hamilton over Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, John Cazale, Robert Duvall and James Caan is so ridiculous i can't even fathom.

Why is Terminator and Godfather even being compared, asides from both being moves? It's like asking which is better, Empire Strikes Back or The Green Mile? Completely different genres that accomplish very different things about as well as you can for the type of movies they are and when they were made. Seems like a pointless argument there? I will say, the Terminator series has lost its luster because they keep going to the well when narratively, it perfectly wrapped up with Judgement day. T1 and T2 are legit classics for the genre and in general, as are GF1 and 2.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Godfather is a movie from a different genre than The Terminator. Thus the two cannot be objectively compared. Both are at the absolute apex in terms of quality in their respective genres. That's a fact. Everything else is noise.

And you know very well that I didn't say that he was on their level... Arnold was the perfect person to play THAT ROLE of the indestructible cyborg.
    Movies can only be subjectively compared. And of course different genre can be compared, why not?

I think Godfather is way higher on most people's list.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Most underrated 80's movie that never gets discussed.

In that film, the main character gets chased on the streets by a bunch of people, The Sopranos copied that scene in one of Tony Soprano's dreams.

Local High School Star

80s were also famous for John Hughes movies

The 80s made up for it in music

Pretty sure most film buffs list the 70s as the GOAT decade for film. I'm not a film buff tho.

I like Tarantino but this is nonsense. The 80s was a great decade for movies, and arguably the GOAT decade for action movies. Overall the 80s was a MUCH better decade for films than the 2010s, and IMO the 80s were probably better than the 90s too... especially if you consider that several of the GOAT 90s movies came out at the start (Goodfellas - 1990) or end (Matrix, Fight Club - 1999) of that decade.
    Last edited by Nanners; 05-19-2022 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Why is Terminator and Godfather even being compared, asides from both being moves? It's like asking which is better, Empire Strikes Back or The Green Mile? Completely different genres that accomplish very different things about as well as you can for the type of movies they are and when they were made. Seems like a pointless argument there? I will say, the Terminator series has lost its luster because they keep going to the well when narratively, it perfectly wrapped up with Judgement day. T1 and T2 are legit classics for the genre and in general, as are GF1 and 2.
    This is a post that makes sense. I agree 100%.

It's weird to me because almost all of Tarantino's movies play like and have the weird goofiness of 80s movies

National High School Star 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Terminator is better than godfather. I saw it for the 1st time last year after all those years of hype. Left underwhelmed

But both 70s and 80s were great

The exorcist and rocky also great from the 70s

The 70’s had the best OST’s, but crappy acting/FX.

The 80’s was the Action blockbuster decade. All real explosions, no CGI, but had really cheesy OST’s that aged poorly, largely due to polyphonic synthesizers being so ubiquitous, and lots of big budget films saving hella guap not hiring symphony orchestras to make the OST.

The 90’s was the Mob movie decade.

80’s was kinda light on the type of films Tarantino “respects”, but there’s no Denying the greatness of some of the 80’s action/SciFi films:

Predator
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Ghostbusters
    The Goonies
    Terminator
    Rambo 1, 2, 3
    Aliens
    Full Metal Jacket
    Platoon