Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default "The 80's was one of the worst decades for movies" - Quentin Tarantino

Would you agree? Years ago, I actually made a thread about the 80's having underwhelming films in general if you compare that decade to the 70's & 90's.

Default Re: "The 80's was one of the worst decades for movies" - Quentin Tarantino

That's a pretty crazy take IMO. The 80's and 90's are probably the GOAT era for movies.

Default Re: "The 80's was one of the worst decades for movies" - Quentin Tarantino

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    That's a pretty crazy take IMO. The 80's and 90's are probably the GOAT era for movies.
    Nah, 70's had greater films than the 80's.

The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    All the President's Men
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Deer Hunter
    Taxi Driver
    Star Wars
    Dirty Harry
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The French Connection
    Annie Hall
    Chinatown
    Jaws
    Apocalypse Now
    A Clockwork Orange
    etc.

The 70's are often looked at as the golden age for films for many people, the 80's don't compare.

Star Wars Episode 5 and 6 came out in the 80's..

Scarface
    Terminator
    Rambo I, II and III
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    The Karate Kid
    Predator
    Commando
    Police Academy
    Ghostbusters
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Raging Bull
    Indiana Jones (a few of them...)
    Blade Runner
    The Goonies
    Gremlins
    The Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Robocop
    Poltergeist
    Full Metal Jacket
    Mad Max 2
    Aliens
    Spaceballs
    Labyrinth
    Footloose

That's a lot of amazing films from the 80's!
    Last edited by dankok8; 05-13-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Scarface
    Terminator
    Rambo I, II and III
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    The Karate Kid
    Predator
    Commando
    Police Academy
    Ghostbusters
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Raging Bull
    Blade Runner
    The Goonies
    Gremlins
    The Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Robocop
    Poltergeist
    Full Metal Jacket
    Mad Max 2
    Spaceballs
    Labyrinth
    Footloose

Alot of those films you listed are good, but not great films. You can make a long list for good films for every decade.

The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    Taxi Driver
    Apocalypse Now
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

These are all time great films, you can make an argument for top 50 ever. The 80's don't really have that many "great" films compared to the 70's or 90's.

There are also a handful of very good 70's films I left out like Rocky, Network and Alien
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 05-13-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Funny enough, 1980 was actually one of the best years ever for film. Raging Bull, The Shining, The Elephant Man etc.

The rest of the decade was underwhelming though.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 05-13-2022 at 12:52 PM.

GOAT bank robbery movie

Scarface
    Terminator
    Rambo I, II and III
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    The Karate Kid
    Predator
    Commando
    Police Academy
    Ghostbusters
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Raging Bull
    Blade Runner
    The Goonies
    Gremlins
    The Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Robocop
    Poltergeist
    Full Metal Jacket
    Mad Max 2
    Aliens
    Spaceballs
    Labyrinth
    Footloose

Thats nice but it could be better.

A lot of gimmick films.

First off, which decades are even eligible for this discussion? Feature length films have been around since the 1910's, so is basically every decade of the 20th century eligible?

If so, every decade before the 60's would automatically be in the worst decades discussion for me, and the vast majority of those movies have been seen by so few living people it seems kind of ridiculous to even include them.

The 90's are far and away the GOAT decade for movies to me, 2000's would be 2nd, and it'd honestly be pretty close between the 2010's & 1980's for 3rd. The 60's & 70's for sure had many great films, but I feel like a good amount of them simply don't hold up after so many years.

I donno.. a lot of 80's movies are my absolute favorites.

I don't dig Star Wars that much like I used to but Episode 5/6 are definitely top 50 of all time. As is Scarface, no explanation needed. As is Police Academy which is IMO maybe the GOAT comedy. As is Rambo Trilogy which is maybe my favorite action movie series. And from the 70's I wouldn't have Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now in the top 50. Those are good movies but not that great. Just IMO.

Agree that 90's are the GOAT decade for movies. Forget top 50. Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Shawshank Redemption. Terminator 2 and Titanic are all arguably top 10 movies ever.

And from the 70's I wouldn't have Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now in the top 50. Those are good movies but not that great. Just IMO.
    You crazy, Apocalypse Now is often regarded as the GOAT war movie. Has way more depth than most popular war movies. Taxi Driver was revolutionary in terms of character study, no film prior achieved what Taxi Driver did.

90's & 70's to me are the GOAT decades for movies.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    You crazy, Apocalypse Now is often regarded as the GOAT war movie. Has way more depth than most popular war movies. Taxi Driver was revolutionary in terms of character study, no film prior achieved what Taxi Driver did.

90's & 70's to me are the GOAT decades for movies.
    By the way a lot of movie critics including Rotten Tomatoes rank the original Terminator (1984) as the greatest sci-fi movie of all time. I personally think Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) is the best movie in the series but a lot of people including the critics disagree.

You're way overrating the 70's bud. Seriously.. Godfather is an absolute classic and others you listed are just good movies. There's probably more but you didn't list them.
    Last edited by dankok8; 05-13-2022 at 08:18 PM.

By the way bro, every decade has absolute classics. For instance the 1930's... You'd think the movies were shit. Think again!

Gone with the Wind
    The Wizard of Oz
    King Kong
    Robin Hood (the original)
    Frankenstein
    Pygmalion
    Les Miserables
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

You're way overrating the 70's bud. Seriously.. Godfather is an absolute classic and others you listed are just good movies. There's probably more but you didn't list them.
    You're underrating the 70's. That was an era where Pacino, DeNiro, & Jack Nicholson hit their prime. Brando was still making great movies as an older actor. Scorsese & Francis Ford Coppola rose and made some great movies.

I guess it's a matter of preference, 80's had better comedies & sci-fi films, but the very best movies are always in the "drama" category, that's where you get the best story telling and performances from actors and the 70's blow the 80's away in that category. It's no coincidence great actors like Pacino, DeNiro, & Nicholson made more great movies in the 70's than they did in the 80's.

I thought Tarantino nailed it in the vid I posted, in the 80's films became more corporate & less artistic. But I made a thread about 80's movies being overrated on this site years ago and got some push back, so I expect people to disagree with me.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-dec...king/anncasano
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 05-13-2022 at 08:51 PM.

Great college starter

Honestly itís hard for me to watch movies outside of the 1980 - 2010 time frame. There are exceptions before and after but that 30 year span of movies are really the only ones that can keep my attention.