Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Default Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

https://streamable.com/26cb6s

It's in response to JJ's "he(Cousy) was guarded by firemen and plumbers" comment from a few weeks ago.

When I originally heard this I agreed with JJ, and I get he could have been more respectful about it, but personally I like listening to someone who isn't constantly walking on eggshells like Stephen A who has to spend 30 seconds talking someone up before he criticizes them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

cant take anyone seriously saying Elgin Baylor is the best SF ever

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Fr, Cous OD'ing on nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

We can criticise how goofy and unrefined the game looked back then, but even now you see older school guys have a dorky looking game in the gym that absolutely destroy people.

I remember playing at a local rec league here in Australia, and one goofy looking 45 year old dude knocked down 7 threes in a half, had the worst looking dribble you'd seen, and just looked flat out clumsy. Someone at half time proceeds to tell me he is only 8 years removed from playing pro ball here in Australia... same league Lamelo and a few other NBA cats played in.

Basically, you're a product of your era/environment. Regardless of the time, they'd be effective.

Both players couldn't play in each others eras IMO.

firemen and perhaps plumbers usually seem more athletic than grocery baggers.

Holy shit.. That's very disrespectful by J.J. Redick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    firemen and perhaps plumbers usually seem more athletic than grocery baggers.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    well, considering you've probably only watched NBA players from the past decade, it doesn't matter what you take serious.

But, if we remove tweener F's like LeBron and KD (which I hate to do, but hey, "positionless basketball" era), there's pretty much just Bird and Dr. J as definitive competition to Baylor. I'll give you Bird being the #1 SF. But then Baylor is easily in the convo as 2nd best behind Bird. And if you're easily considered #2, then it's not unreasonable for someone to think you are #1.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    We can criticise how goofy and unrefined the game looked back then, but even now you see older school guys have a dorky looking game in the gym that absolutely destroy people.

I remember playing at a local rec league here in Australia, and one goofy looking 45 year old dude knocked down 7 threes in a half, had the worst looking dribble you'd seen, and just looked flat out clumsy. Someone at half time proceeds to tell me he is only 8 years removed from playing pro ball here in Australia... same league Lamelo and a few other NBA cats played in.

Basically, you're a product of your era/environment. Regardless of the time, they'd be effective.
    Not only that but the game and best dribblers would look something closer to this than they do now if carrying the ball was something that was actually still whistled.

As I believe it was kblaze that pointed out, carrying has been steadily increasing gradually over time until we've gotten where we are now.

It has culminated with where Ja Morant is a player, who essentially relies on shamelessly carrying the ball in conjunction with his insane athleticism... to be the player he is today. He's not the only one doing it, but he's arguably the worst ever with it. And it just keeps getting worse.

If guys had to absolutely keep their hand on top of the ball at all times, which they are supposed to do, dribblers would look closer to the gif in the first response to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    well, considering you've probably only watched NBA players from the past decade, it doesn't matter what you take serious.

But, if we remove tweener F's like LeBron and KD (which I hate to do, but hey, "positionless basketball" era), there's pretty much just Bird and Dr. J as definitive competition to Baylor. I'll give you Bird being the #1 SF. But then Baylor is easily in the convo as 2nd best behind Bird. And if you're easily considered #2, then it's not unreasonable for someone to think you are #1.

thats a lot of stretching and mental gymnastics there to give it the reasonable take label, lmao.

3-time NBA All-Star

I like JJ but he wrong on this one. He has no idea how good Cousy would be in this era with hindsight. Everyone talks about these convos without taking hindsight into account.

I seen Cousy highlights, they're actually really good if you consider that they weren't allowed to carry or travel as much as players can nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    When I originally heard this I agreed with JJ, and I get he could have been more respectful about it, but personally I like listening to someone who isn't constantly walking on eggshells like Stephen A who has to spend 30 seconds talking someone up before he criticizes them.
    I think he says that more for players that played the game. I would be with you but he tows the line big time when it comes to talking about current players that he knows / is friends with.