Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 86
  1. #61
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    31,251

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Just had to rule that line of thinking out.

    So wait..you think that human beings in general evolved that much from 1958 to say, 1980?
    Of course the notion that Humans have drastically evolved in the past 50+ years is preposterous.

    The real argument can be made is that with the global popularity of the NBA now, there is a much bigger pool of potential players to select from, which will increase competition when selecting the most athletic players.

    Another thing to realize though is the league was a lot smaller back then. There wasn’t nearly as many roster spots with an 8 team league. So even though the pool of players was smaller to chose from back then, the amount of players who made the league was smaller too, so this acted as increased competition for selecting the most athletic players as well.

  2. #62
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    465

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Just had to rule that line of thinking out.

    So wait..you think that human beings in general evolved that much from 1958 to say, 1980?
    Medicine, science, sports training and drugs evolved. And the game itself. The NBA was 4 years old when Cousy came around

  3. #63
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    11,204

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Medicine, science, sports training and drugs evolved. And the game itself. The NBA was 4 years old when Cousy came around
    This is true but Cousy would have all the benefits of this if he played now. Vice versa someone from this era who played when Cousy would have non of those benefits. These conversations for some weird reason are had without this hindsight in mind.

  4. #64
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    465

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    This is true but Cousy would have all the benefits of this if he played now. Vice versa someone from this era who played when Cousy would have non of those benefits. These conversations for some weird reason are had without this hindsight in mind.
    I think I'm agreeing with you! There's no way to ever know. It's a stupid argument.

  5. #65
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,486

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    As most have pointed out the main thing that evolved was the rules. John Stockton was the same size as bob cousy. He might have actually weighed less. But he wasn't forced by the rules to dribble like a square. He was allowed to have a modern handle.

    If you look at that one dunk MJ did on Ewing where he pulled a hesi spin move before setting up the dunk... Jordan palmed the ball as much as anybody ever to set that hesi up and get the blow by.

    So the point is its all about the rules. John Stockton is the all time assist and steals leader and he was the same size and posses the same athleticism as bob cousy. They played under vastly different rules. That's the only difference. And Stockton never won an MVP.

    Bran stans are pathetic because they think just because a guy is small and white he must suck. Or if he lacks athleticism and is white he'd never make it today. Meanwhile an old ass Dirk and Jason Terry took a steaming dump on a Heat team that had 10x their athleticism. You would think they'd have learned their lesson....

  6. #66
    NBA All-star GimmeThat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,094

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

    Bran stans are pathetic because they think just because a guy is small and white he must suck. Or if he lacks athleticism and is white he'd never make it today. Meanwhile an old ass Dirk and Jason Terry took a steaming dump on a Heat team that had 10x their athleticism. You would think they'd have learned their lesson....
    I feel like you're more talking about the likes of Jeanie Buss, Magic Johnson, and Phil Jackson co. who've actually dumped the Lebron brand.

    It's probably upsetting because Westbrook is a branch off the Lebron brand, same way Converse is off of Nike. So they come off as Bran stan, but I'm guessing that's only because there are orders not to trade both Westbrook AND Lebron.

    if that was an option, they'd pulled the trigger, just see how Gasol left town, and they didn't retain any other star alongside Kobe.

  7. #67
    NO KLAY, NO PLAY AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,015

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    As most have pointed out the main thing that evolved was the rules. John Stockton was the same size as bob cousy. He might have actually weighed less. But he wasn't forced by the rules to dribble like a square. He was allowed to have a modern handle.

    If you look at that one dunk MJ did on Ewing where he pulled a hesi spin move before setting up the dunk... Jordan palmed the ball as much as anybody ever to set that hesi up and get the blow by.

    So the point is its all about the rules. John Stockton is the all time assist and steals leader and he was the same size and posses the same athleticism as bob cousy. They played under vastly different rules. That's the only difference. And Stockton never won an MVP.

    Bran stans are pathetic because they think just because a guy is small and white he must suck. Or if he lacks athleticism and is white he'd never make it today. Meanwhile an old ass Dirk and Jason Terry took a steaming dump on a Heat team that had 10x their athleticism. You would think they'd have learned their lesson....
    So Dirk at 33 is old as hell but 37 yo Bron isn't?

    LeBron fans appreciate the white boys. Remember dellavedova? He's out of the league now but he made Curry his bitch in the NBA finals. That's the year Curry lost FMVP to a role player and got less votes than LeBron despite LeBron being on the losing team.

    We appreciate the white boys, like Kevin Love who locked curry down in 2016 game 7. Remember that airball curry threw up trying to tie the game?

  8. #68
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,871

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Of course the notion that Humans have drastically evolved in the past 50+ years is preposterous.

    The real argument can be made is that with the global popularity of the NBA now, there is a much bigger pool of potential players to select from, which will increase competition when selecting the most athletic players.

    Another thing to realize though is the league was a lot smaller back then. There wasn’t nearly as many roster spots with an 8 team league. So even though the pool of players was smaller to chose from back then, the amount of players who made the league was smaller too, so this acted as increased competition for selecting the most athletic players as well.
    That doesn’t even come close to making up for the drastically larger talent pool though.

  9. #69
    Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    33,156

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Just had to rule that line of thinking out.

    So wait..you think that human beings in general evolved that much from 1958 to say, 1980?
    Of course! Just look at the athletes of today. It's primarily the nutrition and science that has evolved, but the strength and conditioning has evolved also.

  10. #70
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,871

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Of course! Just look at the athletes of today. It's primarily the nutrition and science that has evolved, but the strength and conditioning has evolved also.
    I’m not even talking about today. You think from 1955 to 1970 that humans evolved that much?

    You’re a fool if you don’t give respect to guys like Milan and Cousy for increasing popularity for the league. Who knows where it would be without that. But it doesn’t go much beyond that to me.

    Not that they’d be bad in any era but it certainly would be different.

  11. #71
    ... iamgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,290

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    In this kind of comparison, we have to take the athletes for what they are at the time. We can't just add something out of thin air and not take out something else. Or else soon we'll have Hakeem shooting threes at high efficiency.

  12. #72
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    11,204

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    I think I'm agreeing with you! There's no way to ever know. It's a stupid argument.

  13. #73
    NBA All-star GimmeThat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,094

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    In this kind of comparison, we have to take the athletes for what they are at the time. We can't just add something out of thin air and not take out something else. Or else soon we'll have Hakeem shooting threes at high efficiency.
    energy creates life, but we shouldn't create energy by destroying life, or the energy in us, is no longer life.

  14. #74
    Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    33,156

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I’m not even talking about today. You think from 1955 to 1970 that humans evolved that much?

    You’re a fool if you don’t give respect to guys like Milan and Cousy for increasing popularity for the league. Who knows where it would be without that. But it doesn’t go much beyond that to me.

    Not that they’d be bad in any era but it certainly would be different.
    So what are you disagreeing with me here? Now you're talking about popularity which is a completely different discussion. I'm talking about athleticism. In the 50's and 60's, professional athletes were the standard for peak athleticism at the time. Just like the athletes of today are the standard. We should not be comparing both eras. I'll reiterate, the notion that a guy like Bob Cousy wasn't athletic is silly. For that time period, he was. More than the average man living in America at the time.

  15. #75
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,871

    Default Re: Bob Cousy responds to JJ Reddick

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    So what are you disagreeing with me here? Now you're talking about popularity which is a completely different discussion. I'm talking about athleticism. In the 50's and 60's, professional athletes were the standard for peak athleticism at the time. Just like the athletes of today are the standard. We should not be comparing both eras. I'll reiterate, the notion that a guy like Bob Cousy wasn't athletic is silly. For that time period, he was. More than the average man living in America at the time.
    The popularity ties into it. An increase in popularity caused an increase in the amount of people that played the sport.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •