Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default South African doctor says omicron variant symptoms 'unusual but mild'

The South African doctor who first alerted authorities to the presence of the COVID-19 omicron variant reported that it presents "unusual but mild" symptoms.

Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a board member of the South African Medical Association, first noticed otherwise healthy patients demonstrating unusual symptoms on Nov. 18.

"Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before," Coetzee told The Telegraph.

"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home."

Coetzee reported around two dozen of her patients that tested positive for the coronavirus and displayed these new symptoms. She alerted officials to the possibility of a new variant, which the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday designated the omicron variant.

Most of the patients were men who reported "feeling so tired," and half of them were unvaccinated. The patients comprised a range of ages and ethnicities.
    Read the rest: https://www.foxnews.com/health/south...s-unusual-mild

50% who caught it were unvaccinated. Interesting because most people in South Africa are not vaccinated.

So far everything points out to being less severe, BUT it would be interesting to see if the media is going to scare the hell out of people. (The mainstream media is really good at this, with almost half of democrats believing that more than have of people who catch the Corona flu end up hospitalized. The correct answer is less than 1%.)

Also, this Omicron, the variant of concern has around 20 mutations. That seems kind of high. Very suspicious.

Decent college freshman theman93's Avatar

Default Re: South African doctor says omicron variant symptoms 'unusual but mild'

Probably need to go ahead and lock every one in their homes and stop all business operations again. Unless your politician deems your occupation "essential". This is just too much to risk.

Default Re: South African doctor says omicron variant symptoms 'unusual but mild'

Quote Originally Posted by theman93 View Post
    Probably need to go ahead and lock every one in their homes and stop all business operations again. Unless your politician deems your occupation "essential". This is just too much to risk.
    it's never gonna end. you'd think at this point it would be a segment on the tail-end of the news, but nope - first story.

no one in the mass media or the hacks such as fauci & friends ever talk about any kind of an end game. it's always constant hysterical coverage over new cases and variants.

didn't south park do a recent episode called "post-covid" that takes place something like twenty years later and all of the kids are grown up? lol... wouldn't put it past becoming a reality at this point.

it only ends when covid19 variants end up like its other 6 covid viruses that have infected humans in the past

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

This. We should maybe just think about closing everything….forever. One death is too many. Think of all the children.

So another cold. Got it

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Read the rest: https://www.foxnews.com/health/south...s-unusual-mild

50% who caught it were unvaccinated. Interesting because most people in South Africa are not vaccinated.

So far everything points out to being less severe, BUT it would be interesting to see if the media is going to scare the hell out of people. (The mainstream media is really good at this, with almost half of democrats believing that more than have of people who catch the Corona flu end up hospitalized. The correct answer is less than 1%.)

Also, this Omicron, the variant of concern has around 20 mutations. That seems kind of high. Very suspicious.
    Of course they're gonna fear monger this new variant it helps ratings and helps further their agenda

Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I only listen to Dr. Fauci because he is the Science. And if he says that this variant will kill all of us, then I believe him.

Decent college freshman theman93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I only listen to Dr. Fauci because he is the Science. And if he says that this variant will kill all of us, then I believe him.
    Doing your best impression of blade I see.

Well done

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    So another cold. Got it
    So this is what I'm wondering. Are people actually dying at a rapid rate or is this a cold that has a COVID tag tied to it?

Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Doing your best impression of blade I see.

Well done
    Thanks!

I actually argued with a relative on Thanksgiving over Covid. They were like "Yeah and now that the vaccine is out, the Flu is on the rise."

So I was like, "Oh so while Covid was raging last year and the early part of this year, the Flu took a backseat?" And they were like "Yeah hardly anyone was getting the flu while Covid was around".

National High School Star Off the Court's Avatar

Thanks!

I actually argued with a relative on Thanksgiving over Covid. They were like "Yeah and now that the vaccine is out, the Flu is on the rise."

So I was like, "Oh so while Covid was raging last year and the early part of this year, the Flu took a backseat?" And they were like "Yeah hardly anyone was getting the flu while Covid was around".
    You're the family idiot

5-time NBA All-Star FultzNationRISE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    You're the family idiot

Jizzo....

Is this Blade Chewing?

Thanks!

It's way too early to claim that flu numbers are on the rise this year. Flu season just began in October.

As for last year, there are multiple possibilities why flu numbers were down:
    -COVID mitigation factors like social distancing, masks, hand washing, etc would have certainly limited spread of flu
    -record number of people were vaccinated against flu last year. I don't know what the flu vaccine efficacy number was (I searched but it doesn't seem to have been calculated yet).

There does not appear to be final flu numbers yet for 2020-21 flu season. I looked through CDC website, but final numbers are not up. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html
    That does not imply conspiracy btw, jstern/patty/tpols, because it takes time to compile all of the numbers from every hospital/county/state/etc