Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Unusual pick for the fifth guy but I guess I understand feeling that way.

Someone under 30 or so at least.

Default Re: Unusual pick for the fifth guy but I guess I understand feeling that way.

He got the other 4 right. 5th spot could go to a number of players, I'd probably swap Dame with Nash.

Default Re: Unusual pick for the fifth guy but I guess I understand feeling that way.

Even if it was done by someone under 30, that individual surely would pick KD over Dame? I mean they're literally in the same era a couple years apart in age. And Reggie retired when a 30 year old would have been 13, so that can't be it.

I would put neither Reggie nor Lillard on that list. Max Strus is a better shooter than Reggie Miller.

NO KLAY, NO PLAY AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Swap nash for curry and Durant for dame. Then it looks pretty good

I'd have put Harden over Dame for the 5th guy because he's 3rd in 3s made All-time with a significant lead over Dame and he will pass Ray Allen at some point. While Harden's 3PT% was never that elite, he did have a 3-year stretch of shooting 36.3% from 3 on 11.9 attempts per game and he's the one who really started those step-back 3s that everyone else is copying now.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    I would put neither Reggie nor Lillard on that list. Max Strus is a better shooter than Reggie Miller.

You may show yourself out.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Lillard is the most unsuccessful fella rt. Poor dude has never gotten to the finals at all and still chooses to rot in portland.

By what metric or even context does Lillard make that list?

Irrational Portland fan or irrational Lillard fan. That about sums it up.

We have numerous fans on this site that while they have discussions like rational human beings would, have completely irrational takes about their favorite team's star player. I mean this is pretty natural. Tribalism is something that is deeply embedded in us all, unfortunately.

Anyways, Curry makes the list because of obvious reasons.

Ray Allen deserves to be there based on context, era and numbers.

Reggie Miller deserves to be there based on context, era and numbers.

After that it's a discussion because I think those are the only three.

What has Klay Thompson done to be considered a better shooter than Kyle Korver? Less 3P%, less 3PM, less FT%.

Why is he automatically a better shooter than Kevin Durant?

Than Dirk?

Nash?

Harden? Klay is way ahead on percentage but the types of three points attempted are vastly different and it might surprise some of you to know that Harden is ahead of Reggie on 3PM and will quite possibly only finish second to Steph in 3PM.

Context (your status on the team) has to be weighed in addition to the numbers. Klay has been in a supporting role his entire career, and compared to Korver as a supporting role he comes up short. Klay as the man would definitely not put up better shooting percentages than Dirk, Durant, etc.

Klay is certainly up there and I would say he's probably top 10 but I don't think it's indisputable that he's top 5.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone Harden is so high on the all time 3 list for makes. He took 13 threes a game at one point. In Reggie’s highest scoring season only two TEAMS took 10 and neither took even 11.

Hes effectively playing a whole different game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Anyways, Curry makes the list because of obvious reasons.

Ray Allen deserves to be there based on context, era and numbers.

Reggie Miller deserves to be there based on context, era and numbers.

After that it's a discussion because I think those are the only three.

What has Klay Thompson done to be considered a better shooter than Kyle Korver? Less 3P%, less 3PM, less FT%.

Why is he automatically a better shooter than Kevin Durant?

Than Dirk?

Nash?

Harden? Klay is way ahead on percentage but the types of three points attempted are vastly different and it might surprise some of you to know that Harden is ahead of Reggie on 3PM and will quite possibly only finish second to Steph in 3PM.

Context (your status on the team) has to be weighed in addition to the numbers. Klay has been in a supporting role his entire career, and compared to Korver as a supporting role he comes up short. Klay as the man would definitely not put up better shooting percentages than Dirk, Durant, etc.

Klay is certainly up there and I would say he's probably top 10 but I don't think it's indisputable that he's top 5.
    Yea Dirk and Nash for sure should be ahead of dame and klay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    It shouldn’t surprise anyone Harden is so high on the all time 3 list for makes. He took 13 threes a game at one point. In Reggie’s highest scoring season only two TEAMS took 10 and neither took even 11.

Hes effectively playing a whole different game.
    I think it should surprise some people... he's never been known as a knock down shooter and yet he's already 3rd all time in 3 point makes. I don't want to get too much into the weeds here because I'm not arguing that Harden is a better shooter than Klay, but the volume is so insanely different that it becomes difficult to judge when you consider the types of shots that they are taking. So would Klay even be a better shooter than Harden if Harden took mostly nothing but open spot up 3 point shots with Curry getting him those looks? Probably. I would guess so, yes, but I don't think we know for sure. Maybe someone has the stats on Harden's percentages on wide open looks vs Klay's and that would be a decent starting point.

And as far as previous eras go...

Larry Bird averaged 1.9 3PA per game for his career. And he got drafted in a year when every team in the league was averaging 2.8 3PA per game overall.

Does anyone think Larry Bird wouldn't be a more dominant 3 point shooter with volume AND percentage increases in an era in which teams finally put a ton of emphasis on practicing and taking them?

Anyways it's tough to know anything for sure because context varies so wildly from situation to situation, team to team, era to era, role to role... but my gut says Klay is not a top 5 shooter of all time. And Lillard definitely isn't.

Klay shot better from 3 as a rookie when Steph played 23 games than Harden did in any season of his career….including when he was 3rd option in OKC. This is a guy who made an nba record 14 threes without playing the 4th quarter. And it wasn’t even his best 3 quarter performance. This injury comeback season is Klays worst shooting ever and he’s at 39% on 9 attempts a game. Harden out here shooting 32% these days healthier than Klay. He’s just a better shooter than Harden.

Not like one is in a different league or has to play in a system that doesn’t encourage outside shooting. Harden just isn’t a top shooter. He’s a scorer who took so many threes he climbed the rankings. Lebrons up there too off sheer attempts.

I wonder where Lebron finishes. He was on pace to be top 5ish at one point but more shooters have come in since then.