Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: i am a shell of my former self thanks to alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    we can meet any day you want and figure it out in person. let me know your availability.
    Saturdays and Sundays nearest parking lot.

You do sound like an entitled prick who has had it made since birth too. Running around top speed like you're the joker because you know a phone call will absolve you of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    The problem highweight has is that he's using alcohol to fill in a gap or a void in his life. It's a temporary relief that provides him immediate pleasure so that he can forget about whatever it is that upsets him. The hardest thing for him to do is to quit drinking. Yes, drinking makes you forget the things that hurt you by putting you in an altered state, but the bottle doesn't have to be the only thing highweight can go to when he's feeling down. The thing about alcoholism is that it's probably the worst thing you can do to distract you from the bigger issue. The toll it takes and the destruction it leaves behind is like no other. Look at all that highweight has lost. Look at the regret he has in his post.

So my quick and easy solution for highweight is that he focuses on something else to fill in the void and provide him happiness. Cause I don't know a single soul who drinks to near blackout cause they like how it tastes. Nope, any alcoholic I've met does it because they are trying to hide the pain as best and as quickly as they can.

Not sure what highweight's demons are, but my only suggestion is that he read up on alternative methods. Whether that be a shopping addiction, an addiction to lifting weights, or drinking something different. I used to have an addiction to Coke. Well now, all I drink all day is carbonated water. It could be flavored or just regular carbonated water. I drink like 5 or 6 cans a day. As I type this, I've already drank 3 so far. Drinking Coke to me was like busting a nut. I can only imagine how good a Coke made people feel back when they still used cocaine in it.

The point is, stopping cold turkey is a joke. Just like smoking. So if highweight can will himself to address his addictions by gearing them towards something that's healthier and less damaging to him or the people around him, then maybe this will save him. Cause I'll be frank. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. And you're only cutting your life short that way.
    This sounds good, but the fact is he's just a junkie for adrenalin. Dude likes to get a buzz going and can't control himself. Just wreeks of a spoiled brat childhood where he never got told no

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post

Not surprised you can't relate to the story in the OP. His gun was in the truck and yours was strewn out on the $5 table you bought on half off day at Salvation Army next to your bags of crack rock and half smoked cigarettes. Shut up

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post

Not surprised you can't relate to the story in the OP. His gun was in the truck and yours was strewn out on the $5 table you bought on half off day at Salvation Army next to your bags of crack rock and half smoked cigarettes. Shut up
    Dayum...didn't know 3ball could lay dat smack down

7-time NBA All-Star

Mods took over the 3ball account

That wasn't me

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    thank you my brother. i appreciate your honesty and advice, i value it greatly being that you are a fellow addict.

i gotta cut my cousins off tbh. they're huge drinkers. i ****ing hate the hypocrisy of my family, they are quick to judge me for drinking but they get drunk themselves and act like fools.

"It's the first drink that will kill you."

Once you buy into that philosophy, you'll be alright. Takes awhile for most alcoholics and addicts to learn this. It's the people that can't be honest with themselves that never get sober.

You have to be willing to admit to yourself that you lost the luxury to ever drink again. Somewhere along the way... you lost that privilege.

I mean... that was the only thing that worked for me... finally understanding that the first drink is the key to victory.

Become more powerful than the first drink... and you win, very simple solution.

and one day... after a few years have gone by... you will finally feel "recovered"

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I still don't understand the allure to drinking alcohol. More especially, the allure to drinking alcohol outside of social situations. I guess I'm lucky my body rejects alcohol. I get migraines immediately just by sipping some alcohol. It's been like that since college. I've limited my drinking nowadays to a few craft beers every once and a while. I will absolutely reject a shot. Whiskey, Tequila, Vodka, whatever. If I do one shot, it immediately comes back up and I'm puking all over the place. If I somehow manage to keep it down, then I turn into Frank the Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I still don't understand the allure to drinking alcohol. More especially, the allure to drinking alcohol outside of social situations. I guess I'm lucky my body rejects alcohol. I get migraines immediately just by sipping some alcohol. It's been like that since college. I've limited my drinking nowadays to a few craft beers every once and a while. I will absolutely reject a shot. Whiskey, Tequila, Vodka, whatever. If I do one shot, it immediately comes back up and I'm puking all over the place. If I somehow manage to keep it down, then I turn into Frank the Tank.
    It's probably genetic, I don't like getting drunk but I need a beer at the very least to get through the day. Mexicans, Irish and the Russians, we consume a lot of alcohol, it's our burden

College star

My suggestion would be not to over dramatize your situation. Don’t call yourself an addict, don’t dwell on trauma and search for root causes. You end up living up to that hype. It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy. Find a way to stay sober for 30 days, however that may be, and move on like it never happened.
    Last edited by Norcaliblunt; 06-16-2022 at 11:08 AM.

That guy smoke117, is he dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    That guy smoke117, is he dead?
    Very possibly. His last post made it sound like he had a near encounter and expected the next one to be it. Sounded like his body was failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt View Post
    My suggestion would be not to over dramatize your situation. Don’t call yourself an addict, don’t dwell on trauma and search for root causes. You end up living up to that hype. It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy. Find a way to stay sober for 30 days, however that may be, and move on like it never happened.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    Mods took over the 3ball account

That wasn't me
    What's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    Currently in an inpatient rehab. Living at some house with other sober people. Actually pretty cool, it’s a mansion in a very nice area.

One of the therapist brought up the flight movie reference during a class lol.