NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 off-season post draft

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2022/...gency-kyrie/4/

Trading the franchise player isn't action it's stupid

NBA Central: Donovan Mitchell wishes Rudy Gobert a happy birthday pic.twitter.com/cVSlUzydsF

JD Shaw: Former @BroncoSportsMBB star Derrick Alston Jr. will play summer league with the Dallas Mavericks, league source tells @HoopsRumors. Alston played for the Jazz’s G League affiliate this season, averaging 18.4 points and 6.4 rebounds.
    – via Twitter JShawNBA

Another Spur. At 34 he could become the all time win leader in basketball since only Al Jefferson can get a coach fired in Utah

https://saltcityhoops.com/the-utah-j...s-time-around/
    The last time the Jazz hired a head coach, it was clear exactly what type of outfit he would lead. The club was coming off a 25-57 season. They had five recent lottery picks each still working down the developmental path, but nobody who had averaged more than 16.2 points per game. A sixth lottery selection would join the youth brigade just weeks after the new coach was selected. In other words, it was clear to anybody involved in the process that the eventual coach would preside over a rebuilding unit’s climb back to relevance. Eventually, Quin Snyder was selected and did just that, taking a bad team with a lot of young talent and finding a way forward.
    It was so clear that their late first round project blew up the tank by making them competitive!

On the surface, the Jazz gig is a chance to helm a very good team that’s hoping to remain competitive in the near term. But if continued stagnation (or a godfather offer for one of their stars) were to send the club in another direction, they could find themselves needing slightly different things from a clubhouse leader. That ambiguity about their future has added an intriguing — if also somewhat complicating — element to their ongoing search.
    Gobert goes you are tanking, he stays you are competing. Same as it's been the past 7 plus years

If that is the approach — fit-based upgrades around their All-Stars with the goal of keeping the competitive window open — then their new coach’s job is to maximize the roster the short term. That’s a tall ask for a candidate pool made up mostly of first-year head coaches. It’s pretty unreasonable to expect a first-year coach to be as good as the leader Snyder developed into over the course of eight years in the role.
    He's got to be better than that great leader's been the past 3 playoffs. He might make an adjustment or two!

Ime Udoka took his team to the Finals in his rookie season as head coach, but even he had to slog through an 18-21 start before things started to click in. (Interestingly enough, the Jazz were 28-10 at that same point in time, meaning Boston was sort of the anti-Jazz this past season: they got their crap together almost precisely as the same time that things were beginning to fall apart for Utah.) Similarly, Snyder started his Jazz tenure at 17-33 before he sussed out a way to prioritize the skill sets that would enable the Jazz to blaze a path back to relevance. But even then, Snyder’s first playoff berth didn’t come until his third season.
    Not sure he ever sussed out anything? I just remember 1 night in December 2014 Gobert took a huge leap and they've been competing ever since

https://saltcityhoops.com/calm-befor...t-draft-night/

While the ultimate goal of winning a title remains, they may not feel the need to push every chip in the center, like a LeBron-led contender would. They could still trade every possible first-round pick as well as pick swaps if they really wanted to mortgage their future. By not doing so, they preserve some options in case they decide to pivot later toward a more future-centric approach. For example, almost any trade scenario involving Rudy Gobert would result in the Jazz sending out the best player in the deal and almost assuredly taking a step back. Or even if they try to reunite Gobert with Donovan Mitchell and make changes to the core around them, if it doesn’t work, they could be forced to change gears at some point down the line.
    Rudy stays you have a chance every night. He goes you become one of the worst teams in the league again. Hard to see it going any other way

Instead, the Jazz focused on acquiring the rights to a handful of undrafted free agents, signing UCLA’s Johnny Juzand to a two-way deal and then inking Exhibit 10 deals (basically camp contracts) with a few others. With recent success stories involving undrafted players like Gary Payton II, Alex Caruso, and Fred VanVleet, there’s increasing optimism of finding impact players among the undrafted ranks. Is a player drafted in the 50s that much more likely to turn into a rotation player?
    More likely with a coach that will actually play them if they can help. Hopefully the new coach will do what COTM wouldn't do(unless they went to Duke of course)

Sacramento. The Kings took 6-foot-8 Keegan Murray over point guard Jaden Ivey. Could this point to increased availability of Harrison Barnes? The Kings are short on forwards, so interest in Bojan Bogdanovic or Royce O’Neale makes sense. I don’t think the No. 4 pick was ever in play for the Jazz.
    Clarkson, Conley and maybe Gay. That's who they should look at moving

Washington. The Wizards are a logical landing spot for Mike Conley, and remain so. They kept their No. 10 pick, and if I were the Jazz, I’d be more interested in the Wizards players anyway. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Kyle Kuzma, and Rui Hachimura are all intriguing fits and some combination of those players presents a good framework for a Conley deal that helps the Jazz get bigger and younger.
    you think the new coach will actually start a PF?

Atlanta. We’ve heard plenty about the Gobert trade possibility — we’ll come back to that. The word is that John Collins remains likely to be traded. The Hawks drafted an offensive-minded wing in A.J. Griffin which could portend such a move. Whether or not Gobert is involved, the Hawks are an intriguing trade partner. One, they’re a franchise in need of a shakeup of their own. Two, they have multiple wings who could help Utah. Any of Collins, Kevin Huerter, and DeAndre Hunter would make the Jazz younger and longer.
    and much worse

Chicago. The Bulls took 6-foot-7 Dalen Terry, who projects to be a solid role player from the get-go. Does Terry entice the Jazz at all in Gobert discussions? If I’m the Jazz, I’m not interested in Nikola Vucevic or Coby White, so who else can the Bulls offer in addition to Patrick Williams? Caruso or Lonzo Ball would bolster Utah’s perimeter defense, but there’s a massive talent gulf between Gobert and whoever the Bulls send back in a hypothetical deal.
    that's why you should be looking for expiring contracts and assets not vets thinking you can actually win

The truth is, I don’t know. We’ve talked a lot about Gobert and Conley — a Conley trade seems more likely of the two. The Athletic’s Tony Jones has repeatedly said that the Jazz want to shift the point guard reins to Mitchell, which would in turn open the opportunity for a backcourt mate with more size and length. That could involve moving Conley to a bench role, but it makes a lot of sense to explore trades that bring back a starting-caliber wing.
    A bigger pg would be better. Dejounte Murray anyone?

We haven’t talked much about Bogdanovic or O’Neale, and Jordan Clarkson’s name almost never comes up. All remain valuable to the Jazz, but should also draw interest from numerous teams. Similarly to Gobert, they shouldn’t be traded for the sake of making a move if the return isn’t sufficient. But I wouldn’t be shocked if any of them are dealt. The reality is that if the Jazz want to acquire a decent player, they’re going to have to send a decent player in return.
    I'd guess Clakson's value to the Jazz just tanked. Who besides COTM would let Clarkson play the way he does? He should be traded regardless. He sucks!

Every team in the league wants more wings. The Jerami Grant trade — to Portland for a single future first-rounder — impacts the market for veteran wings like Barnes and Collins. We’ll see which teams move first, and how the Kings and Hawks value their players. While the Jazz really need length, the competition will be fierce.
    Collins is a wing? Not sure Barnes is anymore

So even though a trade didn’t happen on draft night, a significant move could still be imminent — just don’t expect the Jazz to make a move for the sake of making a move. Prudence may be boring, but it is an important front office virtue.
    a significant move is imminent thanks to COTM!

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/6/27/23...ely-post-draft

In summary, the report may be true on the surface. At the price Utah was asking, Atlanta’s not all that interested. But for a different price, maybe the Hawks are interested again.
    He's one of the best players in the game rather anyone likes that he is or not. You better get a ton for him. You don't trade a statue every day. Be a first for the Jazz for sure

AJ Griffin is a 6’6” tall, 222 lb wing from Duke University. His wingspan stretches to 7’0” and will be just 19 when the season begins. Interestingly, he’s the son of current Utah Jazz head coaching candidate Adrian Griffin.
    nice for a tank I guess

Ultimately the concern that saw him drop to #16 were the knees that kept him out of high school play Sophomore and Senior year. It feels similar to Michael Porter Jr. of the Denver Nuggets. This could be a real hit, a pretty ideal backcourt mate to Donovan Mitchell and still young enough to piggyback on a rebuild should it come to that.
    I think a big pg would ideal

There still are some big dominos that are waiting to fall before a Gobert trade will happen. #1 domino is Deandre Ayton. I would think that any team looking for a big would first try to get Ayton before moving for Gobert. Also, Atlanta does have Capela -- definitely not as good as Gobert, but they don't need to reach to get a center. Their main goal seems to be moving Collins. If they can move him for a different package like Murray from San Antonio without trading Capela, you have to think they would do that first.

One of the worst D's in the league. Capela not Gobert no matter what some think

To me it's not his defense that is the reason for possibly trading him. It's his offensive limitations. We saw from the play of Hassan and Dok that his production is replaceable at 10% of the cost. So if we can add 2 or 3 quality NBA players in a trade it's a no brainer to me.
    yeah 29th in D with Dok and Whiteside. Top 5 D with Gobert. He's completely replaceable!

Not only Fournier for sure, maybe Barrett too.... you gain automatism between Rudy and Fournier.... and you avoid to see how Donnie is unable to lead a team...

I'm still truly convinced it's a mistake to give him the key of this team

yep unless you want to lose a lot

wouldn't mind seeing him again with COTM gone. Take him over Clarkson anyday

Shams Charania: Boston Celtics assistant Will Hardy is closing in on deal to become the next head coach of the Utah Jazz, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
    – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Tony Jones: Hardy’s deal to become the new head coach for the Jazz is five years….he gets a long term commitment from the Jazz
    – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Adrian Wojnarowski: The Jazz are making a hire to the front office too: David Fizdale has agreed to become an associate GM, sources tell ESPN. After 18 seasons as an NBA head and assistant coach, Fizdale will move into management and work closely with GM Justin Zanik and CEO Danny Ainge with Jazz.
    – via Twitter wojespn

https://www.slcdunk.com/2022/6/28/23...o-front-office

Jazz have had several GM's for a while now. It certainly doesn't mean Zanik's impending doom

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-...boston-celtics

The other question now is how does this affect team decisions with free agency? Will the Jazz make moves based on this hire? As I mentioned before, will the Jazz want Hardy coaching a younger core that he can grow with, or do the Jazz feel like he can come in and help a pretty bleak locker room situation from last year? This will certainly make things interesting and, at the very least, it looks like it’s the first step for Danny Ainge leaving a mark on the Jazz has been made.
    they should make moves based on the coach. They should know this after Lindsey's guy got him fired!

I like it. I am not jumping up and down thinking we got the next Pop, but I like getting someone from his coaching tree. I like that we hired someone young, and that he has some experience working with young stars. I am also excited to find out who his assistants are going to be, as they might hint the direction we're trying to move. I would love to get at least one of the former HCs who we interviewed to take assistant jobs, even if only for a year or two to help with the transition.

obviously need some vets around him

I think this is a good choice. I think in a few years he could be as good as Quin.

if he makes an adjustment in the playoffs he's ahead of COTM

Adrian Wojnarowski: Chicago Bulls center Tony Bradley is exercising his $2M player option for next season, sources tell ESPN.
    – via Twitter wojespn

Ben Anderson: At 34, Will Hardy joins Lawrence Frank, George Karl, and Jeff Van Gundy as the third-youngest full-time head coaches in NBA history. Only Minnesota Timberwolves coaches Ryan Saunders and Sidney Lowe (both 33) were younger.

– via Twitter BensHoops

the other 34 year olds had successful coaching careers