Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: After 10 years with the Wizards Beal is expected to sign 248 million Supermax.

Beal has one All-NBA team in his career and that was 3rd team. Would anyone here consider him a top 20 player currently?

Default Re: After 10 years with the Wizards Beal is expected to sign 248 million Supermax.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

Ok, well, I'll be waiting for the Wizards to become a contender with that contract on the books right over here. You let me know when I need to wake up.
    Clearly the wizards right now are NOT a contender. That’s what gms jobs are for. To make moves to become a contender. Trades, free agency etc. what are you remedial? But to let someone young in thier prime walk over max money? Ludicrous.

Why do fans like you insist on thinking that hampering organizations with bad contracts is EVER a good idea?

You let him go. You accept the fact that you aren't going to win with him as your main guy and you MOVE. ON.

You don't cripple your organization into mediocrity for another 5+ years, unable to win even your division and unable to lose enough for a good pick.

Yes, your team will be worse in the near term but YOU LET HIM GO. ACCEPT IT.

Philadelphia is literally wasting Joel Embiid's career as we speak because of short term thinking people such as yourself.
    This would be true in a strictly probabilistic sense that if you let other teams make salary mistakes now while you dont, youre eventually going to emerge on top later down the line.

HOWEVER... there is an issue. Which is that you arent the only side with an angle. Agents and players also have pull in the league and if you dont pay Beal, theyre gonna remember that. If you get next year’s top pick, the top prospect’s agent might suggest he play a year overseas and re-enter the draft next time becauase youre a franchise that doesnt pay up.

Thats kind of the double edged sword. You have to make smart moves to win... but you also have to make your allies happy to win. And sometimes the two conflict.

Sometimes you have to realize, look, we cant get a perfect result here, lets just be satisfied everyone involved is banking hundreds of mills to live it up, while doofuses like rrr3 and bladefd complain about it yet sit at home every night watching our games and sucking their thumbs like helpless losers.

Ya know? There are rarely perfect solutions in an imperfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Beal has one All-NBA team in his career and that was 3rd team. Would anyone here consider him a top 20 player currently?
    Yes top 20, arguable top 15

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yes, inflation, TV deals, new revenue streams, expanding cap, I get it. Believe me, I do. But everything is relative, and while the cap is going up, it's not going up FAST ENOUGH to give Bradley Beal a SUPERMAX deal and be a contender within those 5 years, thus they are wasted and the rebuild is just kicked down the road for another 5 years. Period.

You really don’t seem to get it. The cap doesn’t have to go up. It’s not that much right now…you just feel like it is because you have been looking at nba deals since the cap was a third of this. When we started here the salary cap was less than a max deal pays a guy in a season now. Role players on contenders have made the same cap hit these superstars are. A finals team just paid two role players a combined 40+ million.

The wizards won’t contend because they already aren’t good and they wouldn’t be good if he made 25 million either. He’s just getting the market rate for the likely same net result. If you establish yourself as a team that doesn’t even pay the market rate don’t worry about your contending status to begin with because you’ll never win.

The warriors just paid a tax bill bigger than some teams payroll. If you don’t wanna win bad enough to pay then you can hardly complain you aren’t contending. If you won’t sign your homegrown 30ppg guys I don’t know what the point is of even trying to draft well.

If you’re only gonna pay all time elites you’ll never pay anyone and just be the Sterling era clippers for 30-40 years. Which to be fair the wizards aren’t far from anyway but…I don’t know if the nba wants owners like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    This would be true in a strictly probabilistic sense that if you let other teams make salary mistakes now while you dont, youre eventually going to emerge on top later down the line.

HOWEVER... there is an issue. Which is that you arent the only side with an angle. Agents and players also have pull in the league and if you dont pay Beal, theyre gonna remember that. If you get next year’s top pick, the top prospect’s agent might suggest he play a year overseas and re-enter the draft next time becauase youre a franchise that doesnt pay up.

Thats kind of the double edged sword. You have to make smart moves to win... but you also have to make your allies happy to win. And sometimes the two conflict.

Sometimes you have to realize, look, we cant get a perfect result here, lets just be satisfied everyone involved is banking hundreds of mills to live it up, while doofuses like rrr3 and bladefd complain about it yet sit at home every night watching our games and sucking their thumbs like helpless losers.

Ya know? There are rarely perfect solutions in an imperfect world.
    Your post isn't completely without merit, however, there's always a new buyer. The market changes. Yes, reputations linger for a while, but that can change. I don't think not giving Bradley Beal the supermax will damage the Wizards reputation beyond them ever having a chance ever again.

He flat out isn't that player. He's not. I don't care what anyone says and he's not getting that me if I'm thinking long term.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB View Post
    Yes top 20, arguable top 15

You obviously haven't watched him much. His defense is embarrassing most of the time.

20/21 was arguably his best season. His +/- were just ok because he was so lazy on D.

http://www.82games.com/2021/20WAS6.HTM#onoff

He was ranked 14th in RPM that year.....among 2s.

When Westbrook was with us many of the fans thought he was our MVP.
    Last edited by tontoz; 06-27-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Your post isn't completely without merit, however, there's always a new buyer. The market changes. Yes, reputations linger for a while, but that can change. I don't think not giving Bradley Beal the supermax will damage the Wizards reputation beyond them ever having a chance ever again.

He flat out isn't that player. He's not. I don't care what anyone says and he's not getting that me if I'm thinking long term.
    Hes a max player to every team in the nba and I suspect they don’t care what you think either.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post

You obviously haven't watched him much. His defense is embarrassing most of the time.

20/21 was arguably his best season. His +/- were just ok because he was so lazy on D.

http://www.82games.com/2021/20WAS6.HTM#onoff

He was ranked 14th in RPM that year.....among 2s.
    Brad Beal is a bucket getter and playmaker. Why are we talkin defense? Booker defends? Trae Young? Curry? D.Mitchell? Harden? Not too many 2 ways stars bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    You really don’t seem to get it. The cap doesn’t have to go up. It’s not that much right now…you just feel like it is because you have been looking at nba deals since the cap was a third of this. When we started here the salary cap was less than a max deal pays a guy in a season now. Role players on contenders have made the same cap hit these superstars are. A finals team just paid two role players a combined 40+ million.

The wizards won’t contend because they already aren’t good and they wouldn’t be good if he made 25 million either. He’s just getting the market rate for the likely same net result. If you establish yourself as a team that doesn’t even pay the market rate don’t worry about your contending status to begin with because you’ll never win.

The warriors just paid a tax bill bigger than some teams payroll. If you don’t wanna win bad enough to pay then you can hardly complain you aren’t contending. If you won’t sign your homegrown 30ppg guys I don’t know what the point is of even trying to draft well.

If you’re only gonna pay all time elites you’ll never pay anyone and just be the Sterling era clippers for 30-40 years. Which to be fair the wizards aren’t far from anyway but…I don’t know if the nba wants owners like that.
    I do get it. That deal is probably going to end up north of 50 million in its last year in 2027. That's a third of the projected cap in 2027. A ****ing third for a guy who literally is not capable of being the best player on a true championship contender.

The Wizards are VIRTUALLY guaranteed to be mediocre the entire time, at which point they will trade him at the end of his deal for more mediocrity or possibly let him walk and begin the rebuild... and for what? 5 years of playoff busts just so that they can be FORCED to rebuild at that time rather than doing it by design and choice and strategically?

BTW, all this from a guy who said "all that money for a guy that's just a little better than OK" in reference to Jaylen Brown getting almost 30 million a year. Which I agreed with, btw.

And now you want to argue that Beal @ 45-50 is a better deal than that or something? lol.

I agree with you on that, Im just not sure the organization cares enough either way to burn the bridge. A lot of front office guys know player agents personally, theyre friends with them. A lot of them probably figure “lets just get everyone paid, we’re the Washington Wizards nobody expects us to compete for titles.”

WE want them all to take the “Lets do our best to win a title because the fans deserve it so much!!!!! And that means turning this deal down” approach, but in reality most franchises probably dont think that way.

Dont get me wrong, the Wiz arent gonna go into a tax either just to make player agents are happy. But they can do a nice PR move by paying Beal while keeping the Players Union and the agents happy, keep the rest of the cap in manageable shape, make their big TV money as fans continue buying tickets and merch REGARDLESS.... and it is what it is.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 06-27-2022 at 02:00 PM.

Hes a max player to every team in the nba and I suspect they donÂ’t care what you think either.
    He is not a supermax player to every team in the NBA and there are teams that are smart enough to not give him that deal, believe it or not. I believe we just saw two in the Finals that wouldn't, for starters.

And most NBA front offices are dumb as **** because most people are dumb as ****. We want these people to be smarter and hope that they are because of the positions they hold, but all too often that is not the case, unfortunately.

Hes a max player to every team in the nba and I suspect they don’t care what you think either.
    Ehhh, not sure this is true. At least not strictly from the standpoint that every team believes signing him to a max improves their chances of building a winner. Maybe if theres data that teams with a “franchise player” do more revenue, but it wouldnt be because they think Bradley Beal on a max deal is a key component to winning titles IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB View Post
    Brad Beal is a bucket getter and playmaker. Why are we talkin defense? Booker defends? Trae Young? Curry? D.Mitchell? Harden? Not too many 2 ways stars bruh.
    You don't have to be a 2 way star. Just try a little ffs.

Curry is far better on D than Beal has ever been. GS ranked first in the league in defensive efficiency and they gave up 4.4 fewer ppg with Curry on the court.

http://www.82games.com/2122/21GSW3.HTM#onoff

Curry got switched on Tatum a bunch of times in the Finals and GS didn't bother sending help.

Booker is making $33 million next year. I would be fine with resigning Beal for that amount.

Beal at 47 million is Klay plus Wiseman who didn’t even play. It’s Middleton plus Ibaka. Horford and White are 42. Dinwiddle, Bertans, and Cauley stein are 40 million+. Luka/Beal/Brunson a contending core? They just made the wcf. Tobias and Melton are 44 million.

Deals of that magnitude are more shocking in an article than when you have to account for them on a roster. And with the cap going up? You’ll be able to move or fit a deal like Beals easily.
    He is not worth supermax, which is for the upper echelon of superstars in the NBA. Beal is a star without a doubt but not someone you can build a championship contender around.