Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 off season Post Gobert. A new era begins

3 straight years on a two way? What does he have to do besides improve his shooting to prove him self?

Even as rumors of a Jazz rebuild swirl amid reports of trade talks involving Donovan Mitchell, Jordan Clarkson stays even-keeled. As the rain fell around us and kids yelled in the distance — pleading for Clarkson to stay in Utah and telling him that he is their favorite player — I took a serious tone and asked Clarkson how he was feeling considering everything that could potentially happen. “I’m chillin’,” he said with the wide and honest smile that has endeared him to Jazz fans for the last two years. “My mood is — I’m always good. My vibe is always good. It doesn’t change. This is my ninth year going into the league. I know how the business of basketball works.”

– via Sarah Todd @ deseret.com

Newly minted Jazz coach Will Hardy stopped by to meet Clarkson in person and have a brief get-to-know-you session on Saturday while Clarkson was in town, and Hardy made a solid impression with the former Sixth Man of the Year. “I’m not that good at texting or calling people, so it was really cool to just kick it with him today and shoot the (expletive),” Clarkson said. “He’s tight. I like him a lot.”

What Clarkson knows for sure is that he is currently on the Jazz roster, he still has many years of basketball ahead of him, and he’s ready for whatever life throws at him. “Am I happy in Utah? Yes. Do I like my teammates? Yes. I met the new coach and love him,” Clarkson said. “This is all part of what it is. But my preparation never changes and I’m going to wake up every morning and be me and do what I do. Everything is good.”

as long as I don't have to watch you do what you do we'll all be happy!

Over the past few weeks, I’ve written or said or thought some variation of the following line countless times: the Knicks’ B-level offer is better than most of the other suitors’ A-level offers. But how true is that? Which of the Non-Knicks Six can come close to the package New York could cobble together? The Jazz want five or six or seven first-round picks, as well as young players. The Knicks own all of their firsts as well as four from other teams: the Wizards’ in 2023, the Detroit Pistons’ in ‘23, the Dallas Mavericks’ in ‘23 and the Milwaukee Bucks’ in ‘25. All of those are protected. They can deal up to eight first-rounders, including up to four unprotected ones. They could add at least three first-round swaps. They have attractive up-and-comers, including RJ Barrett (who we should assume would not be part of a hypothetical deal), Quentin Grimes, Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin.
    – via Fred Katz @ The Athletic

Offering, say, five first-rounders, some of them protected, along with one young player wouldn’t come close to meeting the Jazz’s asking price. But at the same time, some teams in the running couldn’t even beat that. And thus, we have a stalemate. For now, the Knicks know no one is coming close to them. And the Jazz want more for Mitchell than they received in that gargantuan return for Rudy Gobert.
    – via Fred Katz @ The Athletic

https://kslsports.com/490554/jazz-ow...raft-any-good/

The good news for the Jazz is their own draft pick can be nearly as good as they want it to be. Depending on how few games the Jazz want to win, they can suffer enough losses throughout the season to put themselves among the worst teams in the league in hopes of landing a coveted top-five pick in next year’s draft.
    they can want to win as many as they feel like but good luck without the guy that's carried the franchise for 8 years

If the 76ers season goes according to plan, the Jazz will likely end up with a pick in the 26-30 range next season, regardless of how either Houston or Brooklyn performs.
    that is the great thing about an unprotected pick. Anything can happen and has!

The Wolves had the 18th pick this past June (they traded back to select Jazzman Walker Kessler) and should be expected to have a selection in the 18-25 range next season.
    they're arguably better than the Sixers

As it stands, the Jazz are far too talented to finish with one of the five worst records in the NBA, even if they were to try to lose games. Ryan Smith, Danny Ainge, Justin Zanik, and David Fizdale all have work to do to deconstruct the roster beyond trading Donovan Mitchell if the Jazz want to bottom out in the NBA standings.
    they were closer to the worst record in the league when Gobert came back to get them in the playoffs Mitchell's rookie year. What talent?

In full transparency, I would be surprised if the Jazz chose to make three first-round picks next season, and would say it’s far more likely they flip this final first-rounder for an additional first in the 2024 draft.
    sounds like a late first is a lottery in most years so Danny wants as many picks as he can next draft

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/08/how...chise-turmoil/

Over the past few months, the Utah Jazz have traded away both Royce O’Neale and Rudy Gobert, key cogs to the past few seasons for the Jazz, and with all the rumours surrounding the squads other All-Star, Donovan Mitchell, no one truly knows which direction this franchise is heading in going forward. While that certainly effects those involved, how do other Jazz players feel going forward about their roles with the team, and whether they’ll even be on the team in the coming months?
    pretty obvious the direction

So what do you guys think? Should the Jazz re-tool and build a winner for fan favourites like Clarkson? Should Utah bite the bullet and move on from Clarkson while he can get them back a significant haul? How should the team proceed in 2022? As always, let us know in the comments below.
    good luck trying to win with that POS

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/09/res...-past-success/

Recently, we ran a survey asking which individual was responsible for the Utah Jazz’s success in the late 1990s. Shockingly, Jerry Sloan was the winner and two-time MVP Karl Malone came in third, behind John Stockton.
    go watch the '88 playoffs and tell me Sloan was the reason!

Now, in my mind, Sloan is one of the greatest coaches, but the result should come from on-court performance. No one in their right mind would say that either Malone or Stockon is a top-ten player ever, but each are certainly in the top five at their respective positions. Stockton was never a better player than Maone, although he had his share of greatness. It’s weird to me that 4.4% of the voters said Stockton was more important than Malone, given that Malone was the best player for the Jazz in their two Finals appearances.
    If I'd had to choose one it would have been Stockton without a doubt. To say he was never better is ridiculous

Maybe I’m undervaluing quality coaching. Sloan was Utah basketball for several years, and he managed to keep two stars and a solid cast of role players happy and competitive for multiple decades. Maybe it’s a well-earned title. Is Phil Jackson responsible for winning with the Bulls and Lakers? Is Popovich more of a winner than Duncan? Maybe it all comes down to the bench. Either way, the Utah Jazz can claim three legends.
    too bad they just traded away the 3rd legend

Filipino-American guard Jordan Clarkson will play for Gilas Pilipinas in the upcoming window of the FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) confirmed on Tuesday. This marks the first time that Clarkson, who plays for the Utah Jazz in the NBA, will suit up for the Philippines since the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.
    – via ABS-CBN News

Gilas will be playing against Lebanon on the road on August 25, before hosting Saudi Arabia on August 29 at the Mall of Asia Arena. Clarkson will play in both games, giving Filipinos a chance to see the former NBA Sixth Man of the Year in person.
    – via ABS-CBN News

https://www.deseret.com/2022/8/9/232...ern-conference

That started Utah’s current streak of six straight playoff appearances.
    thanks Rudy!

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/09/how...the-utah-jazz/

If you were an NBA GM, would you rather have Mitchell or Durant? Again, Durant is the better player, but Mitchell has been nothing short of a class act in Utah. He got along with coach Quin Snyder, put aside his differences with Rudy Gobert, and made the playoffs every season, and is endeared by fans. On top of that, the asking price for Mitchell is six first-round picks. That’s a huge haul, but the price for Durant is three picks and a “young star.” Why would you even trade for Durant if you lose your best player in the process? Who will you pair him with? Durant has never played without a star by his side, so asking him to carry a team in his fragile state might drive him to insanity.
    I wouldn't want either

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/08/how...chise-turmoil/

star is sure used loosely by some

“This is what I’ve been wondering, what the f— are you doing in the offseason?” Tracy McGrady said of Rudy Gobert. “Like, what is your workout? I was so mad at Rudy when they were playing against the [Houston] Rockets one year bro and Chris Paul was guarding him in the post. I was mad as s—. He couldn’t do nothing. Bro you’re 7’2″, and a point guard is guarding you. He had no moves.”
    – via YouTube

Patrick Beverley is not one to whine about getting moved from one team to another. The Utah Jazz guard recently addressed claims from fans about how the Minnesota Timberwolves “did him wrong when in fact that sentiment goes completely against how he views and interprets his offseason fate. Here’s Patrick Beverley going full Jay-Z, referencing the GOAT’s “I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, man” bar in explaining why he is thankful to the Timberwolves franchise.
    – via Rexwell Villas @ Clutch Points

Still, Caleb Canales’ decision to leave the NBA and coach in Mexico is not without risk. Broadening his experience on an international stage could help him get back to the league and to the job of his dreams, but his leap of faith could also be ignored. Despite a growing stable of foreign-born superstars and the NBA’s expansion to new markets overseas, the league has been slow to embrace coaches with international experience. European champions like David Blatt and Igor Kokoskov came and went last decade, as did successful foreign-born assistants like Etore Messina. “The coaching side, you always have to be ready to adapt and adjust,” Canales says.
    – via Global Sport Matters

https://kslsports.com/490659/jake-li...-leaving-jazz/

Dennis Lindsey moved into an advisory role for the Jazz in the summer of 2021 shortly before the organization hired Danny Ainge to serve as the CEO of basketball in December.
    anyone still listening to his or O'Conner's advice?