Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 off season Post Gobert. A new era begins

https://kslsports.com/490288/jazz-ro...itchell-trade/

First, as currently constituted the Jazz are caught in the no man’s land that is the middle class of the NBA. Between the veteran experience of Mike Conley, Parick Beverley, Jordan Clarkson, Malik Beasley, Bojan Bogdanovic, and Jarred Vanderbilt, the Jazz simply have too much talent to lose the number of games required to earn one of the top picks in next year’s NBA Draft.
    lottery

If we were to add the three-time All-Star to the previous list, they’re good enough to earn 40+ wins, and finish well within the Western Conference Playoff picture, but not high enough to compete for anything truly meaningful.
    barely made the playoffs last year with Gobert missing time. How will they make the playoffs without him?

Rookie Walker Kessler will get an ample share of the minutes, as will third-year center Udoka Azubuike, but neither of the Jazz two centers has proven they can play significant minutes in the NBA.
    one showed he can play in the league if his health cooperates

Rookie Simone Fontecchio and second-year forward Leandro Bolmaro will also see the floor, but what they offer and how much they can play remains to be determined.
    hard to predict if Bolmaro will play. Let's set the roster and go into camp

Another rumored deal would send Mitchell to the Toronto Raptors for OG Anunoby and Gary Trent Jr. While there are fewer players in this trade, the Jazz would again be too competitive to tank, and would add yet another veteran body to the backcourt.
    they are tanking. No Gobert is tank

The Jazz could make more moves like the Royce O’Neale trade that returned only a future draft pick, deals they’ve certainly explored for the veterans remaining on the roster. And, they could sign other under-the-radar players like Fontecchio whose NBA timeline matches the team’s upcoming rebuild.
    26 is a different timeline than 19

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/02/uta...valiers-guard/

In the above clip, Tony Jones wonders if Utah do indeed keep Donovan Mitchell, that the team could target 23-year old Collin Sexton, who has the potential to be an All-Star at the point guard spot. The Cavaliers recently offered Sexton a contract in the $13 million per year range, as he is coming off an injury that has seen him miss a lot of time on the court, but he turned that down, and one year away from being a UFA, it makes sense that Cleveland will start taking offers on him.
    He makes sense if they get rid of Mitchell. Makes little sense otherwise

Fred Katz on potential Knicks’ tampering: Everyone assumes that the NBA’s go-to penalty for this is now just loss of a second-round pick, because that’s what happened in the Lonzo Ball sing-and-trade. And that’s what happened in the Kyle Lowry sign-and-trade. And they just go ‘second-round pick’. And I know for sure that is not their blanket policy. That’s just what they decided in those moments and if they find evidence of tampering that they believe to be particularly egregious, they are down to go with a harsher penalty. But they have to find the evidence. It can’t just be like, ‘This is what we believed happened’. It has to be like evidence you can present in a courtroom and actually prove your point. … I think it could be a first-round pick… but I wasn’t explicitly told it could be a first.

– via Apple Podcasts

that could affect the trade

Rod Beard: NBA announces that Canada Series will return, with preseason games in Edmonton and Montreal: #Raptors vs. #Jazz on Oct. 2 #Raptors vs. #Celtics on Oct. 14 pic.twitter.com/e7eux9bH5P

NBA announces that Canada Series will return, with preseason games in Edmonton and Montreal: #Raptors vs. #Jazz on Oct. 2#Raptors vs. #Celtics on Oct. 14 pic.twitter.com/e7eux9bH5P
    — Rod Beard (@detnewsRodBeard) August 3, 2022

– via Twitter detnewsRodBeard

Andy Larsen: Jazz’s first game this season will be in… Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? Team just released the full preseason schedule: pic.twitter.com/gM5xFqsfxd

http://twitter.com/andyblarsen/statu...32341465321477
    – via Twitter andyblarsen

https://sports.yahoo.com/mock-trade-...231617258.html

Analyzing the deal from a Sixers standpoint
    and why would the Jazz do this?

https://kslsports.com/490339/should-...r-rudy-gobert/

The Jazz’s nine retired numbers between 00-99 are more than 17 other teams in the NBA, a significant lot considering only they are the 13th youngest team in the league.
    should have 4. Just the HOFers. Rudy would be 5. The fact that anyone thinks this is even a question is a joke. He should be a statue but won't now

In 1993, the Jazz retired number 35 for Darrell Griffth despite his relatively short career. Griffith appeared in 765 games for the Jazz, only 412 of which he started.
    His career was long enough. His career certainly started out like he'd be in the rafters putting up all star numbers and helping the Jazz improve greatly. Layden never forgave him for sitting out despite Hansen sucking hard. Came off the bench after his injury. Loved Griff but shouldn't be up there. Mitchell shouldn't be either but obviously will

Jeff Hornacek played in even fewer games for the Jazz, appearing in just 477 games over a six-and-a-half-year period in the 90s. Hornacek averaged 14.4 points and 4.0 assists during his tenure with the Jazz, and helped the team earn two Western Conference titles, but never made an All-Star game in Utah nor was he named to any All-NBA teams.
    loved him but the standards have to be higher

Mark Eaton has the best resume among non-Hall of Fame Jazzmen to have their number retired. The big man won two Defensive Player of the Year awards, made five All-Defensive teams, led the league in blocks in four different seasons, and earned an All-Star nod in 1989.
    best resume and the biggest joke!

Barring a serious fallout between Gobert and the team that drafted him, the number 27 should unquestionably hang in the Vivint Arena rafters upon his retirement.
    let's hope this front office is a bit more adult than ones in the past that gave Dantley's number away to the guy they traded him for! Why isn't Deron up there now that Sloan, the Millers, O'Conner(still an advisor?) etc. are gone?

Perhaps the only question remaining is whether he’ll play well enough in Minnesota to have his number retired by two franchises.
    there's a chance even if he is there only a short time. Right now he's the best player on the best Wolves team ever

We will miss you Statue

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-...-nba-offseason

All signs are pointing to a trade, and it feels like it’s just a matter of time at this point. The media, the GMs, and the players are all on vacation right now but once they get back, that trade is only a matter of semantics.
    I know the usually take a vacation this time of year but most of the roster work is usually done by now. This year hardly anything has happened. Doesn't seem like a time to take a vacation

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/03/uta...ild-time-team/

My personal Jazz roster would be Malone, Maravich, Okur, Bogdanovic, and Clarkson. Malone is a top player ever, and I believe his game would translate well as a modern power forward. Okur and Bogdanovic would space the floor and add some shooting, and Pistol Pete is a do-all offensive player who can run the offense or pull up from deep, even if he never really played with an NBA three-point line. Finally, Jordan Clarkson is a steal at $1. If he’s cold, the offense can play around him, and if he’s hot, we all know he immediately becomes the offense.
    You got 1 or 2 right I guess. Clarkson would be on my least favorite Jazz players ever list. Okur would get killed in space and isn't a rim protector or great rebounder or passer. Did 1 thing well. He's a role player at best on this team. Bojan pretty much the same as Okur from the 3. Maybe a role off the bench at best. I'd tank if this is best $15 gets ya

He’s right. The $1 offense in Ingles and Clarkson is hard to pass up, and could you imagine if Mehmet Okur was inserted into the Malone/Stockton lineup? Micheal Jordan and company wouldn’t stand a chance.
    I'd pass on Clarkson for free

I'll take Stockton, Gobert, Millsap, Harpring and Ingles.

No other $1 players I'd want so got to go with the two 2's. I'd consider Hayward or Horny if there was another 1$ I liked. I think that team is superior to any in that article. #1 and 3 players in my Jazz history running pick and roll and pick and pop because Stockton would have to step up offensively somehow. Not really in his nature but was capable. Millsap was thier best player post Deron before Rudy. Might want to put the ball in Ingles hands so Stockton could play some off the ball in a scoring role. Defense. Shooting. Passing. Intangibles.

Sad thing is Millsap and Gobert should have be leading the Jazz together for a few years along with Hayward, McCollum...
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 08-04-2022 at 10:50 AM.

https://thejnotes.com/2022/08/04/uta...chell-rebuild/

Murray and Mitchell are the same age, and while Murray is undoubtedly the better defender, no one in their right mind would claim that he’s a better player. Mitchell is one of the best scorers in the league, a constant threat to lead the league in points, and is a three-time All-Star. The Jazz could trade him for some extra draft capital, or they could sit back during the 2022-23 NBA season and come back with a vengeance, still being led by Mitchell.
    Guess I'm not in my right mind for preferring the two way stat stuffer over the one way inefficient gunner

Without Gobert, the Jazz do not really have a starting center. Hassan Whiteside is still a free agent, Walker Kessler and Kofi Cockburn are rookies, and Udoka Azubuike isn’t exactly a starting quality guy. On top of that, Mike Conley and Patrick Beverly, at this point in their careers, will not lead the team to a title. The Jazz have talent, to be sure. Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt, Jared Butler, Leandro Bolmaro, Johnny Juzang, and Neckeil Alexander-Walker are all interesting, and Mitchell, Clarkson, Bogdanovic, and the other vets are all reliable, if not great, pieces to have.
    they have nothing without Rudy. Back to 2013

Let’s pretend that with their three picks next season and Walker Kessler, the Jazz manage to find two solid players out of those four. That’s not unreasonable, and it would give Mitchell two more solid players to pair with Clarkson, who also fits the timeline. Jarred Vanderbilt, Butler, and Bolmaro are all young, so the odds of Utah having a seriously competitive lineup by 2025 is not a stretch, and Mitchell will only be 28, just starting to peak.
    besides the fact that he sucks Clarkson is on a different timeline. Makes no sense. Mitchell does but I think Ainge decided he can't build around him. Ayton/Mitchell on max deals doesn't get me excited sorry! I kind of wanted them to go into the seasons with vets around him just to give him a shot at it until the trade deadline but it makes sense to do it now if you can I think

The Jazz could simply trade Mitchell and start over from scratch, but they don’t need to. There is still a blueprint for long-term success with Mitchell at the helm. Aside from Jayson Tatum and maybe Bam Adebayo, Mitchell is the best player from the 2017 draft class. Neither the Heat or the Celtics are even considering moving on from those young stars, even with Kevin Durant on the line, so the Jazz shouldn’t be in a rush to move on from their best player, who hasn’t even hit his peak yet.
    no maybe on Bam. I'd probably rank him lower than 3rd if I looked at the draft

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ewhere-In-2025

this is part of it but I really don't think they could see a great team with Mitchell as their best player

For the second straight year, Grimes began the offseason training with former NBA All-Star and current University of Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway. He then went out and led the Knicks to the NBA Summer League title game in Las Vegas, averaging 21.4 points, 4.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game and shooting 41 percent from the floor.

– via Zach Braziller @ New York Post

Part of Grimes’ strong performance in Sin City was his offensive versatility. He showed the ability to get to the basket and create for others, something he didn’t do much of as a rookie, when he was utilized mostly as a 3-point threat. Grimes credited Hardaway for his multifaceted growth.
    – via Zach Braziller @ New York Post

Penny!

While it seems Miami has no choice but to run it back with their current roster, as they don’t have the cap space to add another player assuming veteran Udonis Haslem returns, an NBA executive told Heavy Sports’ NBA insider Sean Deveney that the Heat will have a “Plan B” in place. “I think a guy they will keep an eye on is Gordon Hayward,” the exec said of the Charlotte Hornets’ 6-foot-7 All-Star forward.

– via Emily Bicks @ Heavy.com

“Charlotte’s in a tough position with the (Miles) Bridges thing, they have (Steve) Clifford coming in, they’re in a position to rest things a little bit around LaMelo Ball. Hayward has two years left,” the exec continued. “If you want to give up [Tyler] Herro before you pay him and you want to move [Duncan] Robinson, you would have to add a pick, but those two guys and Omer [Yurtseven], that might be enough to get Hayward if the Hornets decide to reconfigure. It’s a short-term move for Miami, but they need to make their move now. You can play him at the 3 and go big or go small at the 4. He’s a guy they’ve had interest in before.”
    – via Emily Bicks @

USA Basketball announced today that Alex Jensen (Utah Jazz) will coach the 2022 USA Basketball AmeriCup Team, which is set to compete at the 2022 FIBA AmeriCup in September. Jensen will be assisted by Mike Williams (Capital City Go-Go) and Steve Wojciechowski.

– via USA Basketball

great opportunity