Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How was your 4th of July weekend?

It was a weird weekend for me. I was informed Friday there would be a tropical storm headed directly over me -- not that a tropical storm would wreak havoc on anything but outdoor plans but still. Come Saturday the storm had dissipated to nothing with absolutely no rainfall. All the small planters and wreaths I put indoors was for nothing.

Spent Sunday doing maintenance work around the house. Good majority of the day was spent maintaining my riding mower -- sharpening the blades as well as changing the oil and filters...

Monday I ended up bbqing some burgers. I tend to stay away from red meat but considering the holiday I justified it. Lit some fireworks with the neighbors but came in early because it was too loud for the little one and my dog. Enjoyed the rest across the water from my home office.

Default Re: How was your 4th of July weekend?

you sound like a little bitch worried about hurting her nails.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    you sound like a little bitch worried about hurting her nails.

People LA seemed to have fun.

Death to Liberalism Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Spent the day out and about, but stayed in for the fireworks to comfort my dogs. Some guy behind me was firing missiles into the air it seemed like. He definitely didn't get his fireworks locally.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

M-80s going off everywhere.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I didnít do anything all weekend. I was getting over covid so I canceled all plans. I finally ended up feeling better last night and wasnít doing anything and a girl asked if I wanted to see fireworks with her so we went downtown and checked things out. We were running late and there was tons of traffic but I ended up just parking on the shoulder of the freeway and we walked down and were able to catch them. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    People LA seemed to have fun.

The Hispanics LOOOVEEEE fireworks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Had a BBQ yesterday, tried to go to bed early cause I had work in the morning, but neighbors get lighting fireworks until 2 am. A little sleep deprived.

For the 3rd straight year there were no fireworks due to a burn ban

god bless the American constitution.

america would have been an undeniably great nation and the undeniable greatest empire in the history of mankind if they weren't so wishy-washy on slavery. they were the last world power to ban human slavery. absolutely disgusting and shame on the confederate states. fuck that shit.

the american constitution is undeniably one of the greatest documents in the history of mankind. freedom liberty and the right to success and happiness. god bless American values.

3-time NBA All-Star FultzNationRISE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    god bless the American constitution.

america would have been an undeniably great nation and the undeniable greatest empire in the history of mankind if they weren't so wishy-washy on slavery. they were the last world power to ban human slavery. absolutely disgusting and shame on the confederate states. fuck that shit.

the american constitution is undeniably one of the greatest documents in the history of mankind. freedom liberty and the right to success and happiness. god bless American values.
    Well, the issue here is it was the last large scale agrarian bastion of the western world, which is the only context wherein slavery really works. It’s not feasible to maintain slaves in cities, because you cant keep people isolated and ignorant the way you can in vast rural environments. It’s not that Europe and the northern American states developed stronger or better consciences, they were simply faster to reach an economic threshold where slavery became impractical, and only at that point did they toss their hats in the air and proclaim themselves moral visionaries for their abolitionist viewpoints . Whilst simultaneously putting children, immigrants, emancipated slaves, anyone they could find to work in mines and dangerous factories for 16 hours a day to be paid in literal peanuts. Not exactly a milestone in human compassion.

Slavery didnt go away because of human conscience. It went away because of human technology. We just kinda celebrate in revisionist fashion as if humanity suddenly grew a conscience about it. But in fact it still goes on today in parts of Africa, India, Arabia that technologically resemble 1700s Mississippi. It really only dies out when it is no longer feasible.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 07-05-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Well, the issue here is it was the last large scale agrarian bastion of the western world, which is the only context wherein slavery really works. Itís not feasible to maintain slaves in cities, because you cant keep people isolated and ignorant the way you can in vast rural environments. Itís not that Europe and the northern American states developed stronger or better consciences, they were simply faster to reach an economic threshold where slavery became impractical, and only at that point did they toss their hats in the air and proclaim themselves moral visionaries for their abolitionist viewpoints . Whilst simultaneously putting children, immigrants, emancipated slaves, anyone they could find to work in mines and dangerous factories for 16 hours a day to be paid in literal peanuts. Not exactly a milestone in human compassion.

Slavery didnt go away because of human conscience. It went away because of human technology. We just kinda celebrate as if humanity suddenly grew a conscience about. But in fact it still goes on in parts of Africa, India, even Asia that technologically resemble 1700s Mississippi.
    nah its actually the only real stain on an otherwise impeccable legacy. Im not being facetious when I say that I love the core American values.

a lot of that talk loses much of it's weight when you consider the fact that they were literally enslaving other human beings.

the only major power that really gets away with it now is china. and they are factually morally inferior to what the Americans envisioned when they were fighting for freedom from taxation.

Im very much a direct beneficiary of core american values. especially considering how well I do with right-leaning americans in business and in life.

I really do respect founding american values.

its just that a lot of those words carry much less weight when you consider that they were actually enslaving and treating other human beings like absolute dogshit. creating hell on earth for a certain small minority of their population at the time.

human nature is human nature. we will all rationalize that which we deem beneficial to ourselves.

4th of july weekend is a great celebration for 95% americans and 99% of westerners

not so much for that certain small minority.

I was in Canada attending a wedding and driving back all day on 4th of July. Long trip.