Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Default Re: How is Dr. J a 15-20 player ever while Artis Gilmore didn't even make top 75 list

Dr J is influential but 100% one of the more overrated all time greats from an actual basketball perspective. He did his dominance in the free flowing and no defense playing ABA. I don’t think he’s a better player than Baylor, West, Oscar, Drexler, Harden, Carter, McGrady, Iverson, Richmond, S. Smith, Reggie, B. Roy, Westbrick and probably some more.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: How is Dr. J a 15-20 player ever while Artis Gilmore didn't even make top 75 list

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    Dr J is influential but 100% one of the more overrated all time greats from an actual basketball perspective. He did his dominance in the free flowing and no defense playing ABA. I don’t think he’s a better player than Baylor, West, Oscar, Drexler, Harden, Carter, McGrady, Iverson, Richmond, S. Smith, Reggie, B. Roy, Westbrick and probably some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Dr J’s 1976 ABA Finals is one of the greatest and most dominant Finals performances of all time. He did it vs possibly the best defender in the world at the time in Bobby Jones. The very next year during the merger the Nuggets had the number 1 ranked defense in the entire league. So it wasn’t a lack of competition thing. Dr J faced the best defensive team in both leagues and the best wing defender and completely dominated them single handedly. Dr J pre injuries at his peak was one of the most dominant players ever.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...s-nuggets.html (1976 ABA Finals Stats)
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../DEN/1977.html (1977 nuggets stats in post merger ABA/NBA with the number one ranked defense

Check out that post.

NBA Superstar

Lol wut.

You just fvcking listed Brandon Roy

College star

That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Dr. J took the Sixers to the ECF in his first year, then again in 1981. Then went to the finals in 1980, 1982, and 1983. Then he took them back to the ECF in 1985. So that's 3x ECF and 3 NBA finals, with 1 title.

His playoff numbers during that stretch was 23/7/4/2/2 on 49%. That's including his years from ages 32-34 when guys generally declined.

Otherwise, in the NBA (in addition to 3x ECF appearances and 3 NBA finals appearances with 1 title):

11x All-Star
    1980 MVP
    7x All-NBA
    2x ASG MVP

6 times Dr. J was top 5 in MVP voting in the NBA, not to mention, he was top 5 in scoring 1981, 1982, and 1983. From 1980-84, he was top 5 in PER every year. He was top 5 six times in WS/48 during the same stretch. And from '77-'85 he was top 10 in BPM 8x.

I mean, I dunno what else you can really expect from someone who was clearly elite with one heck of a resume during his tenure in the NBA. Sure, his game declined significantly from 1985-87, but he was ages 34-36 by then. Look at Dr. J from '77-'84 and he has one heck of a resume.
    Last edited by HoopsNY; 07-06-2022 at 06:08 PM.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Lol wut.

You just fvcking listed Brandon Roy
    Yea, that's pretty odd. If Dr. J can't get recognition in an era that had Moses, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Gervin, etc, then I'm not sure who is really worthy of recognition.