Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanna cure entitlement and increase manners? Have young adults work in hospitality

People need to work in an environment where they deal with customer service. Specifically hospitality.
    My son just started serving. He's literally the most patient person I've ever met yet every time I pick him up from work he has at least one story of an entitled patron. This industry has even broken him and level level of respect for people and his surroundings has gone up even further

Any other posters working hospitality concur or have a story to give an example?
    Last edited by hateraid; 08-15-2022 at 10:08 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Wanna cure entitlement and increase manners? Have young adults work in hospitalit

Default Re: Wanna cure entitlement and increase manners? Have young adults work in hospitalit

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, an example of the entitled shitheads the OP speaks of

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Working retail or hospitality is good for a young person. First to experience social interaction with customers and learn what their wants and needs are, and how best to make them happy. Second, on quickly learning these people bust their asses all day and on weekends just to maybe becoming a manager in a few years making 50-60k a year with almost no chance of climbing above that. Motivation to stay in school or learn a trade. There's a few exceptions of course, I know some waiters, bellhops, valets and room service guys make well over 100k a year.

Not sure about retail specifically but I found most people to be generally ok. You might get the odd dickhead but that is society in general.

There are many people that appreciate you just being nice to them too. I feel like people make too much of a big deal about hospitality "conditions" these days. Terrible management and general lack of stability is worse than 99% of the people you deal with. People are there to do what they are doing, not kiss the ass of someone providing a service for money.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, an example of the entitled shitheads the OP speaks of
    yeah if only warriorfan had worked at applebees as a teen... then he wouldnt be so rude and entitled to post these disgusting jokes on this anonymous basketball message board where the average IQ is probably in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    yeah if only warriorfan had worked at applebees as a teen... then he wouldnt be so rude and entitled to post these disgusting jokes on this anonymous basketball message board where the average IQ is probably in the 70s
    Maybe he should. Hearing from what my son says a dose of reality could do him good it wouldn't stop his coke addiction but it could open his eyes to real life assholeism

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    Maybe he should. Hearing from what my son says a dose of reality could do him good it wouldn't stop his coke addiction but it could open his eyes to real life assholeism
    maybe so, or maybe not... I worked some shitty food service jobs back when I was young, did you think I learned any manners from that experience?

TBH the biggest thing I learned from food service is that stereotypes exist for a reason. I went into that job a naive and optimistic teenager who thought the only real difference between black people and white people is how much noise they make in a movie theatre... and while I still believe that there are black people out there who leave decent tips and treat service workers like human beings, I never met any of them working at that job.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Kids nowadays are idiots. Mandatory military service for every student right out of high school I say.

I’ve worked retail multiple times and it sucks. People are so rude so often. The worst are middle aged white women AKA “Karens”. Luckily at my current job I only have to interact with coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    I’ve worked retail multiple times and it sucks. People are so rude so often. The worst are middle aged white women AKA “Karens”. Luckily at my current job I only have to interact with coworkers.
    All depends where you work.

If youre at some boutique suburban clothier, Karen’s are likely the worst of your problems.

If you work at a Jack in the Box in the ghetto, your last weakly gasped words before you succumbed to a bullet wound over the cold french fries you served is likely to be “why... couldnt he have.... been a karen...”

Also, dont pretend you have a job.

maybe so, or maybe not... I worked some shitty food service jobs back when I was young, did you think I learned any manners from that experience?

TBH the biggest thing I learned from food service is that stereotypes exist for a reason. I went into that job a naive and optimistic teenager who thought the only real difference between black people and white people is how much noise they make in a movie theatre... and while I still believe that there are black people out there who leave decent tips and treat service workers like human beings, I never met any of them working at that job.
    So really in the end you learned something about humanity.

I've worked every level of retail in GNC. And I share the same sentiment as my son. People suck in general. Maybe the places you worked had poor management. Everyone that's worked for me from a store associate to an area manager shares my sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    I can't believe Karens flipped out on you for trying to force your Anarcho communistic philosophies on to them while you were bagging their groceries

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

rom that experience?

I worked very briefly at an upscale restaurant in a Colorado ski resort area. From what I experienced, there was no one cooler and easier to deal with than wealthy black businessmen. The absolute worst were rich black women. Entitled, mean and just plain nasty to deal with. I was even warned by the manager before hand. He told me and this is why most wealthy black men choose to marry outside their race.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    I worked very briefly at an upscale restaurant in a Colorado ski resort area. From what I experienced, there was no one cooler and easier to deal with than wealthy black businessmen. The absolute worst were rich black women. Entitled, mean and just plain nasty to deal with. I was even warned by the manager before hand. He told me and this is why most wealthy black men choose to marry outside their race.
    I am glad to hear that. The place I was working didnt exactly cater to the wealthy