Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Bill Maher: Make the Mall Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    It's hilarious that Chewing is concerned with the environment, but I contest the idea that shipping is worse for the environment than going to the mall. Amazon drivers deliver as many as 350 packages per shift. That is one driver on one long route delivering hundreds of packages. Versus 350 drivers all getting in their cars and driving to the mall.

And when you buy something at the mall it typically comes with a box or a large bag. The Amazon boxes are bigger sure, but paper actually gets recycled easily though unlike plastic.
    You're such a tool.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

While I hypocritically prefer online business, it seems to me that it is helping consolidate wealth among the rich. When brick and mortar companies were largely unaffected by online shopping Walmart had competition from Sears, Kmart and Target. Now Walmart figured out early, in order to stay relevant in B&M they had to sell food. Over 50% of their B&M sales are now from food. The share of of online shopping from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and Home Depot is enormous. I also realize, keeping us in our homes as much as possible is probably what the government and corporate giants would prefer.

Will these corporate giants become so powerful that they will be able to control governments like Standard Oil, AT&T, American Tobacco and US Steel used to?

My personal belief is it's a mistake just to simply tax these companies more and give it to the populace because it makes us even more dependant on them. Rather create opportunity by limiting their growth and power. That may mean more expensive online shopping and more B&M stores. I would be inconvenienced by this but not necessarily totally opposed to it. B&M stores probably thank gawd every day for immigrants and old people

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    While I hypocritically prefer online business, it seems to me that it is helping consolidate wealth among the rich. When brick and mortar companies were largely unaffected by online shopping Walmart had competition from Sears, Kmart and Target. Now Walmart figured out early, in order to stay relevant in B&M they had to sell food. Over 50% of their B&M sales are now from food. The share of of online shopping from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and Home Depot is enormous. I also realize, keeping us in our homes as much as possible is probably what the government and corporate giants would prefer.

Will these corporate giants become so powerful that they will be able to control governments like Standard Oil, AT&T, American Tobacco and US Steel used to?

My personal belief is it's a mistake just to simply tax these companies more and give it to the populace because it makes us even more dependant on them. Rather create opportunity by limiting their growth and power. That may mean more expensive online shopping and more B&M stores. I would be inconvenienced by this but not necessarily totally opposed to it. B&M stores probably thank gawd every day for immigrants and old people
    Walmart didn't remain static. They saw the online giant Amazon consuming their marketshare so they sought a way to stand out and continue to bring in customers through their doors. OP should have approached it in a similar fashion a long time ago. If he didn't begin to adapt to this change years ago, he's likely going to have a rough time moving forward. Blockbuster was one of the more tragic but notable examples of this. The internet has been changing things for decades now. You must adapt.

The mall has always sucked