Default If the Sixers drafted Mitch Richmond over Charles Smith..

What would the NBA landscape looked like?

Sixers didn't need to draft Charles Smith but I guess trying to leverage something with LA to up the value forced the hand. We did need a shooting guard and at the time 3 pointers weren't a commodity and Hersey didn't have any stats to really showcase that. Although a great shooter otherwise.

Mitch Richmond was available and was the better prospect. Mo was still relevant at the time and Ron Anderson was the prototypical SF.

Mo Cheeks
    Mitch Richmond
    Ron Anderson
    Charles Barkley
    Mike Gminski ( solid center who could compliment Barkley in the middle and hit free throws)

I feel this would have been the team to beat in the 90s and Mitch would have been a premier top 2 SG at the time. Yes over Reggie and Drexler playing along side Barkley

I would rather have Reggie Lewis but considering that could have been the Philly pick what would it have been like?

Philly fans chime in

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: If the Sixers drafted Mitch Richmond over Charles Smith..

Hersey Hawkins was really good and the 90' Sixers were considered to be as good as the Bulls

Yet they were destroyed by Jordan's 43/7/7

And Barkley's Suns were better than a Barkley/Mitch team, yet they were still narrowly defeated by Jordan's 41/9/6 - this is what would happen to the Barkley/Mitch Sixers in the 90"s East (narrow losses)

Banned

If the Sixers drafted Mitch Richmond over Charles Smith..
    They would've had a top 3 shooting guard of the 90s.
    Meanwhile, in the modern era Bradley Beal couldn't get selected to the all-star game with a 30.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg & 6.2 apg stat line.
    But hey, that's how astronomically crap the perimeter, in particular shooting guard position was in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    What would the NBA landscape looked like?

Sixers didn't need to draft Charles Smith but I guess trying to leverage something with LA to up the value forced the hand. We did need a shooting guard and at the time 3 pointers weren't a commodity and Hersey didn't have any stats to really showcase that. Although a great shooter otherwise.

Mitch Richmond was available and was the better prospect. Mo was still relevant at the time and Ron Anderson was the prototypical SF.

Mo Cheeks
    Mitch Richmond
    Ron Anderson
    Charles Barkley
    Mike Gminski ( solid center who could compliment Barkley in the middle and hit free throws)

I feel this would have been the team to beat in the 90s and Mitch would have been a premier top 2 SG at the time. Yes over Reggie and Drexler playing along side Barkley

I would rather have Reggie Lewis but considering that could have been the Philly pick what would it have been like?

Philly fans chime in
    Mo Cheeks, Mike Gminski and Ron Anderson were declining hard as early as 1991 so I don't think that would be the team to beat in the 90s. And Hersey Hawkins was actually really good, although not as good as prime Richmond.

Mitch and Barkley would be a good duo though. Although Mitch only really reached his prime around mid 90s, and by that time Barkley would be older and declining. But maybe playing with a superstar like Barkley earlier would boost his game, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Mo Cheeks, Mike Gminski and Ron Anderson were declining hard as early as 1991 so I don't think that would be the team to beat in the 90s. And Hersey Hawkins was actually really good, although not as good as prime Richmond.

Mitch and Barkley would be a good duo though. Although Mitch only really reached his prime around mid 90s, and by that time Barkley would be older and declining. But maybe playing with a superstar like Barkley earlier would boost his game, who knows.
    You should know I'm a huge Hawkins fan. The biggest one in ISH history

That core of Richmond Barkley could have cored a very solid beginning and rivaled late 80's Pistons. Especially adding Mahorn. In hindsight Mahorn probably would not have been added but the core in place could have moved Gminski and Anderson to get that special PG. Even without its the best duo of that era.Shue was an aggressive GM. Stupid to trade Gilliam for Gminski but he did get Johnny Dawkins and Mahorn. They got ****ed only because Dawkins went down. I felt if Dawkins was healthy we could have been neck and neck with the Bulls and Pistons. But Richmond would have made us elite.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid View Post
    You should know I'm a huge Hawkins fan. The biggest one in ISH history

That core of Richmond Barkley could have cored a very solid beginning and rivaled late 80's Pistons. Especially adding Mahorn. In hindsight Mahorn probably would not have been added but the core in place could have moved Gminski and Anderson to get that special PG. Even without its the best duo of that era.Shue was an aggressive GM. Stupid to trade Gilliam for Gminski but he did get Johnny Dawkins and Mahorn. They got ****ed only because Dawkins went down. I felt if Dawkins was healthy we could have been neck and neck with the Bulls and Pistons. But Richmond would have made us elite.
    I'm not that hot on late 80s/early 90s Richmond. The guy played with Mullins and Hardaway, both All-NBA, and the team didn't really make wave. I'm not even sure during that time he was better than Hawkins despite having better stats.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    I'm not that hot on late 80s/early 90s Richmond. The guy played with Mullins and Hardaway, both All-NBA, and the team didn't really make wave. I'm not even sure during that time he was better than Hawkins despite having better stats.
    He would have clicked better with Barkley than 2 other perimeter players. His physical aspect match that of Barkely and they could keep up with the east physical landscape.