Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Pippen downplays Jordan's 'Flu Game,' says his back injury in 1998 Finals was worse

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/s...als-was-worse/

Scottie Pippen downplays Michael Jordan's 'Flu Game,' says his back injury in 1998 NBA Finals was worse
    The Bulls legends have been at odds since the release of 'The Last Dance,' a 10-part docuseries on the Bulls' final title run

By Wajih AlBaroudi

A Chicago Bulls legend who battled through health issues to help win an NBA Finals game criticized his former teammate on Monday, but the players' roles in that scenario aren't the first to come to mind. Scottie Pippen downplayed Michael Jordan's "Flu Game" during the 1997 NBA Finals, adding his own ability to play through a back injury in Game 6 of the following year's Finals was more impressive.

Pippen, a Hall of Famer and member of the NBA's 75th Anniversary team, made the comparison while promoting his new memoir "Unguarded" in a SiriusXM Town Hall. The six-time NBA champion told Frank Isola his back injury was severe enough to hold him out of a potential Game 7 against the Utah Jazz in '98. The Bulls' Game 6 victory, though, clinched the series.

"I was done, pretty much," Pippen said. "I mean -- I struggled to pull it through in that game and I suffered from it, still suffering from it but I wouldn't have played in a Game 7, I just wasn't able to go. I knew on Saturday that I probably had one game left in me, and the start of that game I got a dunk early in the game and got banged a little by [Karl] Malone. That really put me back on my heels throughout that whole game, where I was running back to the locker room, [to get] cortisone, whatever kind of medication I could get in me, heat pack, whatever to try to carry on. I definitely was not able to play a Game 7."

Isola asked Pippen whether his Game 6 return wasn't talked about enough, and Pippen responded "Well, I don't see many bad back games, but I do see flu games." Pippen then added a flippant "come on" to throw extra fuel into the fiery rivalry he's built with Jordan, who played Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals with a stomach virus or food poisoning.

Pippen has taken several public shots toward Jordan since the release of "The Last Dance," a 10-part docuseries on the Bulls' final title run. In "Unguarded," Pippen claimed Jordan "demeaned" and "disrespected" his former teammates to protect his "precious brand." Pippen also wrote Jordan's sudden decision to retire in 1993 was "selfish" and prevented the Bulls from acquiring quality free agents.

"I think he's always separated himself a little bit from what I consider the traditional team concept, in some sense," Pippen told the New York Times. "And I think 'The Last Dance' just put the icing on the cake. So it was all about him at the end of the day."

"Unguarded" was released worldwide on Tuesday.

Default Re: Pippen downplays Jordan's 'Flu Game,' says his back injury in 1998 Finals was w

You are still 5'6

Banned

Default Re: Pippen downplays Jordan's 'Flu Game,' says his back injury in 1998 Finals was w

The so-called flu game was one of the biggest theatrical frauds that took place on an NBA court.
    jordon could run around the court just fine, but as soon as the buzzer sounds, he suddenly needs to be carried off the court?

Give me a motherfreakin break.

Good High School Starter

It seems that he is making those comments out of bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by pandiani17 View Post
    It seems that he is making those comments out of bitterness.
    I agree, Goatits is a very bitter, pathetic little son of a whore, always trying throw shade at the GOAT...oh you meant Pippen? Yeah, he does come off a pretty bitter...he's also trying to sell a book, must really need the money.

Pip is right but he's always feeling some type of way

Banned

Pippen's just turned into a bitter old man. It's kind of sad. If it weren't for Jordan, he wouldn't have a single ring.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    I agree, Goatits is a very bitter, pathetic little son of a whore, always trying throw shade at the GOAT...oh you meant Pippen? Yeah, he does come off a pretty bitter...he's also trying to sell a book, must really need the money.
    Live rent free in your brain: Achievement Unlocked
    Not that there is a lot of real estate in there.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    Calling someone else bitter while making this bitter post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Comedic effect

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Labeling a post as bitter just because it calls someone else bitter comes off as a little bitter, to be honest.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Labeling a post as bitter just because it calls someone else bitter comes off as a little bitter, to be honest.
    Labeling a post as bitter just because it calls another post bitter because he called someone else bitter comes off as a little bitter, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs m8 View Post
    You are still 5'6
    Get Jordan's dick out of your butt. I have a bigger Dick than you and MJ anyway.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 09-25-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    Get Jordan's dick out of your butt. I have a bigger Dick than you and MJ anyway.
    Are you 5'6?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    I'd say MJ has a bigger c0ck than me, because he's black.

You are Asian....so you don't have a bigger c0ck than me