Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Can Lamar Jackson get Patrick Mahomes money?

Just watched him dominate the Pats. They lost but he was still unstoppable last week vs the Fish. If he keeps up his level (he won't) he will account for 70 total touchdowns. I want to say Brady is better and I would rather have Mahomes but no one is playing better than this man right now and the only thing about his game why you might not want to pay him is injury concern...which is kind of stupid when you consider the fact that this is football.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Can Lamar Jackson get Patrick Mahomes money?

It's tough. The way he plays will always bring regular season success and because of that he'll be paid insanely. But there are 6-7 guys I'd rather have if I'm trying to win a Super Bowl..which I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    It's tough. The way he plays will always bring regular season success and because of that he'll be paid insanely. But there are 6-7 guys I'd rather have if I'm trying to win a Super Bowl..which I am.
    The problem with the criticism of the way he plays is that it's not like he's a bad passer. He has a dimension as a runner that every quarterback would want to have and somehow has still managed to develop as a passer unlike a lot of running QBs. He won mvp at something like 22 and he's well capable of winning it again at 25. Why should he settle for a dime less than top dollar? If you were running the Ravens what would you do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The problem with the criticism of the way he plays is that it's not like he's a bad passer. He has a dimension as a runner that every quarterback would want to have and somehow has still managed to develop as a passer unlike a lot of running QBs. He won mvp at something like 22 and he's well capable of winning it again at 25. Why should he settle for a dime less than top dollar? If you were running the Ravens what would you do with him?
    Ravens don't have a choice but to pay him. However, he has to develop further as a passer. If he does not, he will not have playoff success. He is still fairly limited, especially in playoffs when teams lock in on you and play it tight.

NBA sixth man of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

We've seen this story play out... Lamar isn't a playoff QB and has small bursts in the regular season.

Comparing him to Mahomes is bizzare and not being able to pick between the two tells me you don't know much about football.

It's football and guys that run more get injured more. It's football.. so the injury concern is very very valid.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Ravens don't have a choice but to pay him. However, he has to develop further as a passer. If he does not, he will not have playoff success. He is still fairly limited, especially in playoffs when teams lock in on you and play it tight.
    How much playoff success are you expecting to see from a quarterback before he's 35?

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    We've seen this story play out... Lamar isn't a playoff QB and has small bursts in the regular season.

Comparing him to Mahomes is bizzare and not being able to pick between the two tells me you don't know much about football.

It's football and guys that run more get injured more. It's football.. so the injury concern is very very valid.
    So QBs that don;t run don't get injured? How many quarterbacks with 7+ years as a starter can you name that did not at some point sustain a major injury? Brady and Manning aren't running quarterbacks but have still had their seasons ended. This is football and if you are a quarterback there are 5 men that weigh well over 300 pounds trying to run into you and throw you to the ground on every play. If you knew anything about the nature of the game then you would know that but no, you're just an idiot shit talking troll who'sw too much of a bitch to do it on his regular account that was already anonymous anyway.

The real problem for a running QB is the same as any other that relies on speed, which is that he will eventually lose that speed. Shouldn't majorly decline until he's in his 30s though and hes already progressed as a passer and continues to improve in that regard.

So QBs that don;t run don't get injured? How many quarterbacks with 7+ years as a starter can you name that did not at some point sustain a major injury? Brady and Manning aren't running quarterbacks but have still had their seasons ended. This is football and if you are a quarterback there are 5 men that weigh well over 300 pounds trying to run into you and throw you to the ground on every play. If you knew anything about the nature of the game then you would know that but no, you're just an idiot shit talking troll who'sw too much of a bitch to do it on his regular account that was already anonymous anyway.

The real problem for a running QB is the same as any other that relies on speed, which is that he will eventually lose that speed. Shouldn't majorly decline until he's in his 30s though and hes already progressed as a passer and continues to improve in that regard.
    You brought up Brady and Manning who had incredible longevity precisely because they are solely pocket QBs.

Your points suck. They don't make sense. You're getting angry because you made a stupid post and are forced ro double down on it.

How much playoff success are you expecting to see from a quarterback before he's 35?
    Very little tbh. Couple 2 round exits. Not unless he improves the passing quite a bit

You brought up Brady and Manning who had incredible longevity precisely because they are solely pocket QBs.

Your points suck. They don't make sense. You're getting angry because you made a stupid post and are forced ro double down on it.
    Brady and Manning both had major season-ending injuries. As pocket passers. I do get annoyed when an idiot wants to argue with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Very little tbh. Couple 2 round exits. Not unless he improves the passing quite a bit
    That was a typo. I meant to write 25, not 35. The overwhelming majority of QBs don't have much playoff success in their first few seasons. How many guys have had major success by the time they were 24? He won the MVP award at an age most guys haven't even had their first NFL start.

the injury concern is very very valid.

That's the problem... and the bottom line.

It's not a good plan of action to depend on a $40 million dollar QB to be running down field the way Lamar does year in and year out.

You don't want to put that kind of money in harms way... you want to keep that investment safe, and in the pocket.

If you're paying somebody 40 million dollars a year (with over a 100 million guaranteed)... you don't want him diving and scrambling for 1st downs.

One false move and 20% of your cap space is sitting on the bench. Need to protect that investment as much as possible.

NBA Superstar

I mean no he’s not a bad passer. But that’s not the bar required.

Even the “bad” passers who have won Super Bowls (thinking Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Peyton in his last year), were all quick decision makers and could take what was given.

When it gets cold and things slow down I’m not sure Lamar has that. Hopefully he proves me wrong but that’s what we know about him so far.

Just watched him dominate the Pats. They lost but he was still unstoppable last week vs the Fish. If he keeps up his level (he won't) he will account for 70 total touchdowns. I want to say Brady is better and I would rather have Mahomes but no one is playing better than this man right now and the only thing about his game why you might not want to pay him is injury concern...which is kind of stupid when you consider the fact that this is football.
    Since you made this thread he has 4 ints to 3 TDs and averaging 150 passing yards.

No, he can't get Mahomes money dipshit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I always thought the Mahomes vs Lamar Jackson comparison was silly. Sure, Lamar can run like Vick, but he isn't anywhere close to the same level as a passer. Not a knock on Lamar, he is still one of the better QBs in this league, but Mahomes is different.

I'll go as far and say Mahomes is easily the most talented QB we have ever seen. What he has done this year without Hill so far is amazing to watch.