Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 Camp begins-The tank is on

believe it when I see it

Mitchell was also rated a bottom-20 defender in the NBA by FiveThirtyEight’s RAPTOR. He had a defensive RAPTOR of -2.7, which means the Jazz’ defensive performance fell by 2.7 points per 100 possessions while Mitchell was on the court. “It’s not the ability,” Mitchell said on Tuesday. “I can play defense. I know that for a fact. I haven’t shown that and that is what I’m looking forward to doing here.”

– via Kelsey Russo @ The Athletic
    but it was Gobert's fault for not being able to cover all 5 guys at once!

Tony Jones: Mike Conley said he was picking up fullcourt and teammates joked about him still being able to slide his feet. “Sliding my feet is how I got into the league,” Conley said. “When I got into the league I was defense first”

– via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Ben Anderson: Mike Conley said Nickeil Alexander-Walker has stood out early in camp for the Jazz. He’s also said Kelly Olynyk has some similar traits offensively to Marc Gasol with his pick and pop skills, and his passing. #takenote | @kslsports

– via Twitter BensHoops

Too bad Olynyk doesn't play D like Gasol. Too bad Nickeil won't be playing because of Conley and Clarkson

Tony Jones on Jordan Clarkson: I would say that the Jazz are more likely to extend him than trade him.

– via Spotify

Tony Jones: I think that the Jazz think that he can be a real part of recapturing the culture of this franchise that they lost last year. The Jazz really value Jordan. He’s just a prince of a guy in the locker room, for lack of a better term, and he loves Utah, and he wants to be in Utah. And I think that, at this point, the Jazz franchise can use guys in their program who actually want to be here.

– via Spotify

Tony Jones on Jordan Clarkson: Milwaukee showed a lot of interest in him. But the Jazz would have had to take back George Hill in a potential trade, and they weren’t going to do that. That was kind of a non-starter for them. But other than Milwaukee, I don’t think there’s really been a serious suitor for Jordan.

– via Spotify

not sure Hill's contract off hand but he's one of the best players the Jazz have had and Clarkson is the absolute worst! Extend him? Fire Ainge if he's really that stupid. I can't imagine you want your guys watching him play 1 on 5, bricking up shots and rewarding him for it

https://kslsports.com/493530/nickeil...-at-jazz-camp/

“He has good size, he’s a very good passer,” Hardy said. “He can put the ball in the basket — when he’s open and he shoots it, I think it’s going in.”
    standing out and sitting on the bench while you give Clarkson an extension

https://kslsports.com/493148/jazz-ro...-of-media-day/

Conley struggled mightily in the postseason but could see a sharp increase in averages as one of the most talented players on the roster.
    he's their best player by far now until someone proves otherwise but he's probably backing up Sexton and not playing back to backs so not sure his averages will get better unless they really showcase him for a trade

Clarkson will again likely be used as the Jazz sixth man in Will Hardy’s system and is a candidate to be the team’s second-leading scorer behind Collin Sexton.
    if he's 2nd leading scorer they will certainly lose a lot of games. Makes no sense to me having him on the roster

Butler should get ample opportunity to prove last preseason was no fluke, though his summer league performance left fans wanting more.
    based on reports he's behind at least 3 guys currently. Ample time? Maybe after the trade deadline?

Due to his age and the fact that the Jazz owe him $21 million over the next two seasons, Talen Horton-Tucker should be a mainstay in the rotation this season.
    again he's behind at least 3 guys right now from the sound of things. Rotation?

One of four rookies on the Jazz roster, Ochai Agbaji should get ample opportunity to see the floor during a developmental season in Utah.
    that's 3 guys that are getting ample time besides Conley, Clarkson, Sexton and Nickeil. I guess Nickeil and Ochai can play some 3? Should be a Star until he proves otherwise

Due to his age, expiring contract, and minuscule salary, Lee could fit the Jazz rebuilding timeline, but unless he shows quick improvement during the preseason, he might be a buyout candidate.
    he absolutely dominated the Gleague which most of the team can't say.

With the Jazz youth and depth in the backcourt, Juzang may spend most of his time developing with the Salt Lake City Stars in the G League.
    He's built more like a modern 4. He's certainly not playing guard. Probably starts at the 4 with the Stars where he will probably spend all of his time.

The Jazz likely would have redirected Beasley to a new team this summer had there been a reasonable offer but didn’t feel forced to move him after the Gobert trade.
    you could say that about pretty much the whole team. At 25 they should be looking to move other guys first. At 6'4 he is a SG not a wing.

Beasley will be given the opportunity to rehab his image in Utah and will be one of the team’s go-to scorers early in the season. If he proves he can help a team win while staying out of trouble off the floor, he could be a valuable trade piece at the deadline.
    A go to scorer to go with 3 that are getting ample time, camp stand out Nickeil and Sexton, Conley and Clarkson. There are only 96 guard minutes available

However, when he’s not on his game, which is unfortunately often, he can be a major detriment. If it clicks, Bolmaro has a chance to be a special player, but consistency will be key, and he’s never shown that at any point during his professional career.
    I like him a lot. If they can fix his shot he could be a piece. You can see the Ginobli and Nocioni in his game

His size, experience, and shooting ability should translate immediately to the NBA, and unlike some of the younger players on the Jazz roster, he should be able to earn NBA minutes from day one in Utah.
    I'd think he's your starting 3

Johnson’s ambiguous role on the Jazz might make it more difficult for him to succeed than it was in LA, but he should see the floor.
    he's a 4 and appears to be one of the most likely to be cut by the end of camp unless there are some trades made

Gobert had been the longest-tenured Jazzman, and former coach Quin Snyder admitted last season the team was built around the center to maximize his strengths.
    they never really did build around him though. A 6'4 pf? A tiny backcourt?

Markkanen was forced to play small forward last season in Cleveland but will likely move back to one of the two frontcourt positions this season and could record big numbers in a Jazz uniform.
    I'd expect the same numbers he's always put up

On the flip side, he doesn’t match the Jazz timeline and could be a candidate for a high-priced buyout before the regular season.
    buyout seems likely with 3 guaranteed contracts too many

Like Agbaji, Kessler should get plenty of opportunities to make mistakes during his rookie season with the Jazz.
    Both should be leading the Stars until they prove otherwise

The third-year center must first prove that he can stay healthy, then show he’s worthy of valuable minutes if he hopes to stick with the Jazz this season.
    he showed he can play last year. Rather he can stay healthy remains to be seen

It’s unlikely, but with the Jazz needing to trim the roster down three spots by opening night, Azubuike is a dark horse buyout candidate.
    doubt it unless they think the ankle will never be good

The big man was a standout in the G League last season and his ability to space the floor is unique among centers.
    more unique not to be spacing the floor these days

https://kslsports.com/493520/donovan...nse-with-cavs/

“I don’t have to do as much offensively,” Mitchell said of his new teammates. “So I’m able to lock in most possessions and I’m not tired.”
    Bullshit. Jazz had the best offense in the league last year. O'Neale and Gobert played hard at both ends of the court. Suck it up superstar!

The Cavaliers had the fifth-ranked defense last season and will look to improve their 20th-ranked offense without sacrificing their defensive identity with Mitchell in the lineup.
    how far will their defensive rating fall is the question?

https://www.deseret.com/2022/9/28/23...-league-ignite

This means he’ll be teammates with Scoot Henderson, a dynamic guard who is already expected to be the second pick in next June’s draft behind only once-in-a-generation prospect Victor Wembanyama of France.
    could be 1st pick. He'd be my pick. No one Victor's size has ever stayed healthy and dominated

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2022/...ach-will-hardy

“He lets guys play, and lets guys play free,” Kelly Olynyk said. “With a younger team that’s what you need — the freedom to let guys be themselves and go out and compete and work hard and then kind of rein it in from there.”
    so he's not going to rein in Clarkson?

“It’s important for us as coaches to help the players build some autonomy on the floor,” Hardy said. “I’m not out there in the game with them. I don’t have 72 timeouts in the game to call so their ability to problem-solve and communicate amongst each other is going to be paramount for our success.”
    success will be measured on how bad you are

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/...2022-23-season

Minnesota Timberwolves: Karl-Anthony Towns (+6000) | Anthony Edwards (+6000)
    Unless Edwards takes a huge leap and Gobert finally starts to decline it's hard to imagine it not being Rudy

Tony Jones: Malik Beasley on Collin Sexton: he lives up to his nickname. He’s a young bull. He’s going to put pressure on the rim and get downhill. He’s going to be a great player. We have a lot of underdogs on this team
    – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Dane Moore: Anthony Edwards said he will be guarding the best opposing offensive player the majority of the time this season — and because of that, Ant says he will be “salty” if he doesn’t make an All-Defense team this season.

– via Twitter DaneMooreNBA
    sky is the limit for the Wolves if they get some perimeter D