Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Has any other player created a dynasty with less help than Stephen Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    David Lee was All-NBA in 2013 when Curry was healthy - Lee led the Warriors to 47 wins that year as the team's only All-NBA player, so this entire thread is moot based on that alone

And Steph joined a 25 ppg guy in Monta, while rookie Klay averaged 13 and started.

That doesn't compare to Jordan having no all-star or All-NBA teammates and rookie Pippen was an 8 ppg bench-warmer
    Lee led the Warriors in 2013? Curry led the team in PPG for the regular season and then in the playoffs Lee got injured in the first game which the Warriors lost. But the Warriors then went on to win the series without Lee.

It only makes sense that Jordan had an exceptionally weak team in his first year. Jordan was a number one draft pick and the higher the pick the weaker the team the pick is supposed to go to. After that though he was joined by Pippen, Grant, and Cartwright, all three of whom were all-stars at some point in a year playing without Jordan. Monta has never been an all-star and Klay hasn't had yet the opportunity to be an all-star on a team without Steph.

Pippen who you criticize for being a weak scorer in comparison to Klay had multiple triumphant finals series where he averaged 20 ppg and was the second highest scorer on the team. Klay was only able to have a greater than 20 ppg finals series average once in 2019 when the Warriors lost. Klay has never been among the top two highest average ppg scorers in a finals series the Warriors have won.

High School Starter

Default Re: Has any other player created a dynasty with less help than Stephen Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    A post injury 15ppg in the playoffs defensive oriented David Robinson in 99 was easily the best teammate Duncan had till he was 3 rings in.

They won the title isolating him over and over while Elliot needing a kidney transplant had like 2 points and Drob might have had 12. Second ring he’s got young TP still so inconsistent Pop was pulling him for Speedy Claxton and Manu who I think did about 9ppg on 40% shooting and couldn’t go long without needing to be pulled. Tony obviously grew to be a very good player but the closest thing to a superstar he played with between 1998 and Leonard’s last couple seasons there was Manu when he’d fully adjusted to the nba and that was generally off the bench for like 28 minutes.

The spurs were rarely some super talented team.
    That's some weird ass take.

2005 Regular season

WS/48
    Duncan .245
    Manu .240

BPM
    Duncan 7.6
    Manu 6.9

VORP
    Duncan 5.4
    Manu 4.9

TS%
    Duncan .540
    Manu .609

2005 Playoffs

WS/48
    Duncan .191
    Manu .260

BPM
    Duncan 5.5
    Manu 9.2

VORP
    Duncan 1.6
    Manu 2.2

TS%
    Duncan .526
    Manu .652

In 2005 Manu was really close to Duncan in RS while being far better player in the playoffs, yet your take is Duncan didn't have a talented team?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    Lee led the Warriors in 2013? Curry led the team in PPG for the regular season and then in the playoffs Lee got injured in the first game which the Warriors lost. But the Warriors then went on to win the series without Lee.

It only makes sense that Jordan had an exceptionally weak team in his first year. Jordan was a number one draft pick and the higher the pick the weaker the team the pick is supposed to go to. After that though he was joined by Pippen, Grant, and Cartwright, all three of whom were all-stars at some point in a year playing without Jordan. Monta has never been an all-star and Klay hasn't had yet the opportunity to be an all-star on a team without Steph.

Pippen who you criticize for being a weak scorer in comparison to Klay had multiple triumphant finals series where he averaged 20 ppg and was the second highest scorer on the team. Klay was only able to have a greater than 20 ppg finals series average once in 2019 when the Warriors lost. Klay has never been among the top two highest average ppg scorers in a finals series the Warriors have won.
    lol clueless

Good college starter

Simply facts anyone can look up.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sulico View Post
    That's some weird ass take.

2005 Regular season

WS/48
    Duncan .245
    Manu .240

BPM
    Duncan 7.6
    Manu 6.9

VORP
    Duncan 5.4
    Manu 4.9

TS%
    Duncan .540
    Manu .609

2005 Playoffs

WS/48
    Duncan .191
    Manu .260

BPM
    Duncan 5.5
    Manu 9.2

VORP
    Duncan 1.6
    Manu 2.2

TS%
    Duncan .526
    Manu .652

In 2005 Manu was really close to Duncan in RS while being far better player in the playoffs, yet your take is Duncan didn't have a talented team?

No he did not have a particularly talented team especially in the times I referenced which you apparently read and then replied to something else. Not that what you had to say about 2005 is true either. Some formula does not make Manu top 7-10 all time which is what prime Duncan was. Manu was a great player…greater than his numbers. But a bunch of numbers put together doesn’t tell that story.

Tim Duncan being so selfless and supporting is the only reason his guards were allowed to blossom the way they were. Give Duncan a bad attitude and the spurs never could have developed the team first brand they won with.

It’s not all who gets the ball, who shot what, or any of that. It’s how your team performs as a unit and few have ever contributed so much to team culture and allowing accountability. Dude was mvp getting chewed out and nodding in compliance…what the hell is the 10th man gonna do?

Tim Duncan was the spurs culture and anchored a goat tier defense that had as much to do with them winning as any individuals numbers could.

Duncan makes a team greater than the sum of its parts. Doesn’t make the parts bad. But they all did more than similarly talented lineups would be expected. Dirk was a beast and unselfish himself but he was running with another mvp and 3 all stars besides at times back then. Shaq and Kobe had each other. Steph and Durant. Lebron and Wade. Manu and Tony were both special players but it wasn’t a situation where it was multiple all time elites plus a really good roster. Duncan had similar success or more with players who while good were not…that.

Duncan had a normal pretty good nba team that had abnormal results even for teams with insane talent and his second best player was like a 2 time all star usually coming off the bench. It wasn’t a traditional stacked lineup. It was a great team. Those are very different things.

NBA Superstar

No he did not have a particularly talented team especially in the times I referenced which you apparently read and then replied to something else. Not that what you had to say about 2005 is true either. Some formula does not make Manu top 7-10 all time which is what prime Duncan was. Manu was a great player…greater than his numbers. But a bunch of numbers put together doesn’t tell that story.

Tim Duncan being so selfless and supporting is the only reason his guards were allowed to blossom the way they were. Give Duncan a bad attitude and the spurs never could have developed the team first brand they won with.

It’s not all who gets the ball, who shot what, or any of that. It’s how your team performs as a unit and few have ever contributed so much to team culture and allowing accountability. Dude was mvp getting chewed out and nodding in compliance…what the hell is the 10th man gonna do?

Tim Duncan was the spurs culture and anchored a goat tier defense that had as much to do with them winning as any individuals numbers could.

Duncan makes a team greater than the sum of its parts. Doesn’t make the parts bad. But they all did more than similarly talented lineups would be expected. Dirk was a beast and unselfish himself but he was running with another mvp and 3 all stars besides at times back then. Shaq and Kobe had each other. Steph and Durant. Lebron and Wade. Manu and Tony were both special players but it wasn’t a situation where it was multiple all time elites plus a really good roster. Duncan had similar success or more with players who while good were not…that.

Duncan had a normal pretty good nba team that had abnormal results even for teams with insane talent and his second best player was like a 2 time all star usually coming off the bench. It wasn’t a traditional stacked lineup. It was a great team. Those are very different things.
    This is something that doesn't get talked about nearly enough. People typically praise Duncan's defense, but it generally doesn't go as far as you've described. His presence made the team better on defense, and not just by standing under the basket and cleaning mistakes. Everyone performed on a higher level and on the same page always.

The 04 Pistons defense always gets talked about here, and rightfully so because of how they performed in the finals. But best defense in the league..much less all time? They were comfortably the second best defensive team that year.

High School Starter

You said that 99 Robinson was the best Duncan had till 3 titles in, which is past 2005 title, that's why I showed you the numbers of Manu in that 3rd title run.

The fact that analytics wasn't a thing back then and guys like Jamaal Magloire or Caron Butler were making All-Star teams, didn't mean that they were better than Manu. Spurs were insanely talented team from 2003 to at least 2008. They had 2 time MVP, Manu, who was Euroleague MVP and destroyed his teammate Duncan in 2004 Olympics and who, at times, was best player on the team, they had one of the best finishers in the league at PG, defensive genius Bruce Bowen, oh and Big Shot Rob who always transformed into star in the playoffs. They were so talented, that the only thing that stopped them from fivepeating was Popovich's stubbornness.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

When I said till 3 titles I meant until 2005. Though there are those who would pull some advanced defensive stats out of their ass to suggest Drob was a superstar in the top 10 range back then as a rule I disregard such things when running totally opposite to what I see.

Far as the 03 Spurs being insanely talented….

I don’t even know what the point of that is. If Duncan and like 4 high end role players and random top 300 players in 03 is insane talent what are we calling the Showtime lakers, the Curry/KD warriors, and other obvious super teams?

Super ultra mega insane talent?

Lets reel it in a bit.

The spurs relative to their success were….ok. They were among the most successful teams ever. They absolutely weren’t one of the most talented.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

The Spurs were also never a dynasty and never went even back to back, not even once.

The vast majority of their championships came when some greater team, finally broke down or fell apart or was dismantled.

1999 Chicago Bulls dismantled by GM, a year early.

2003 Lakers finally broke down due to no roster upgrades in 4 years, and Shaq being lazy.

And in 2007 should’ve been the Suns winning the Finals if it wasn’t for the stupid asinine suspensions against Phoenix after dirty tactics from Spurs players.

2014 Heat broke down due to D-Wade’s degenerative physical state and the emergence of Kawhi Leonard, by that point, as SA’s best player.

The only legit championship in that run was 2005, and that one could’ve gone either way with the Pistons, and it shouldn’t have even been Detroit in the Finals if Dwyane Wade didn’t get injured in the eastern conference finals.

Literally, scavenger champions. Always have been. It consistently very good, year in and year out team, never great. Yet all this gets attributed as positives in favor of Tim Duncan?

San Antonio Vulture Champs

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    The Spurs were also never a dynasty and never went even back to back, not even once.

The vast majority of their championships came when some greater team, finally broke down or fell apart or was dismantled.

1999 Chicago Bulls dismantled by GM, a year early.

2003 Lakers finally broke down due to no roster upgrades in 4 years, and Shaq being lazy.

And in 2007 should’ve been the Suns winning the Finals if it wasn’t for the stupid asinine suspensions against Phoenix after dirty tactics from Spurs players.

2014 Heat broke down due to D-Wade’s degenerative physical state and the emergence of Kawhi Leonard, by that point, as SA’s best player.

The only legit championship in that run was 2005, and that one could’ve gone either way with the Pistons, and it shouldn’t have even been Detroit in the Finals if Dwyane Wade didn’t get injured in the eastern conference finals.

Literally, scavenger champions. Always have been. It consistently very good, year in and year out team, never great. Yet all this gets attributed as positives in favor of Tim Duncan?

San Antonio Vulture Champs
    What about the times that they got unlucky and didn’t win? Speaking of 04, 06, and 13. You could quick legitimately argue that 3 total plays cost them 3 championships.

They were the best team in the league from 04-07 by pretty much every metric. As much as they were lucky for a couple rings, they’re unlucky that they dint have a couple more. It all comes out in the wash.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    What about the times that they got unlucky and didn’t win? Speaking of 04, 06, and 13. You could quick legitimately argue that 3 total plays cost them 3 championships.

They were the best team in the league from 04-07 by pretty much every metric. As much as they were lucky for a couple rings, they’re unlucky that they dint have a couple more. It all comes out in the wash.

Agreed - some guys need 7 games to win Finals (lucky bounces) which lowers the integrity of their rings

Lebron is a bounce or 2 away from a 2/10 bum, while MJ's 6/6 is legit - no luck required during the 6 Finals wins

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    Agreed - some guys need 7 games to win Finals (lucky bounces) which lowers the integrity of their rings

Lebron is a bounce or 2 away from a 2/10 bum, while MJ's 6/6 is legit - no luck required during the 6 Finals wins
    I don't think you know what integrity means

Good college starter

Did I say Jordan was a number one draft pick in my earlier post? Sorry, my bad. Number three of course. Doesn't change my argument. But correction is here for circumspection.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    Did I say Jordan was a number one draft pick in my earlier post? Sorry, my bad. Number three of course. Doesn't change my argument. But correction is here for circumspection.
    True

Local High School Star

Worth reviewing the supporting cast Steph Klay and Dray had before KD, and last year's title team too